Rapeseed honey: description, useful properties and harm, especially consumption
Rapeseed honey is not as popular in our country as, for example, in the countries of America, and is considered a second-class product. However, it has a rich biological composition and pronounced healing properties that have a positive effect on the human body. What else is the nectar from the oilseed useful for, and how to use it correctly, let's figure it out.
Description and description of rapeseed honey
Rapeseed honey is a natural beekeeping product obtained from the nectar of rape blossoms - a herbaceous oilseed. Immediately after pumping, it has a creamy white color, but after crystallization it acquires an even lighter shade, therefore it is often referred to by consumers as “white honey”. The product is characterized by a low level of acidity and a sufficiently high hydrogen coefficient (pH 4).
Important! Among all beekeeping products, rapeseed nectar has the least nutritional value, however, it has excellent healing properties.
As for the taste, rape honey is very sweet, sugary, with a slight aftertaste of bitterness. The nectar is quite thick, quickly sugared, gradually dissolves in the aquatic environment, has a practically elusive, delicate pleasant aroma. In the liquid state, the product is only 2-3 weeks after pumping, which is carried out in July, then it goes into the crystallization phase. That is why if rape honey in liquid form is offered on store shelves in August or September, this is a fake.
Chemical composition and calorie content
Like any representative of beekeeping, rape honey has a rich chemical composition, which makes it very valuable for human health. It contains active biological substances, micro and macro elements represented by:
- groups B (B1, B2, B6): normalize the functioning of the nervous and cardiovascular systems, prevent the occurrence of heart attacks and strokes, increase the elasticity of blood vessels;
- C: increases the protective properties of the body, strengthens the immune system;
- E: positively affects the condition of the skin, hair and nails, accelerates the regenerative processes in the cells, promotes rejuvenation.
- zinc: contributes to the proper flow of bone tissue development processes, improves skin condition, strengthens hair, makes nails more durable and shiny;
- potassium: takes part in water-salt metabolism, ensures the normal functioning of the cardiovascular system, effectively removes excess fluid from the body;
- iodine: participates in the regulation of metabolism, stimulates the functioning of the cells of the immune system, improves the thyroid gland;
- sodium: maintains a normal level of water-salt balance in cells, normalizes kidney function, positively affects neuromuscular activity;
- Boron: supports healthy bones, improves memory, activates brain activity, and reduces stress levels.
Did you know? After scientists opened the tomb of Tutankhamun, they discovered an amphora with honey. Surprisingly, the product retained almost all of its aesthetic and taste. This has proven that natural nectar can persist for years without losing its value.
2/3 of the honey composition includes saccharides - 35% glucose and 40% fructose, the rest is supplemented with water, organic acids, ash, polyphenols (antioxidants that lower the level of "bad" cholesterol). Rapeseed nectar belongs to the category of high-calorie foods, which have 300-328 kcal per 100 g, which is 15% of the total daily caloric needs of a person.
Properties of rapeseed honey
Rapeseed honey, in comparison with other species, has a relatively small number of mineral substances in the composition. However, it is unique in the number of vitamins and organic compounds in it.
The benefits of natural rapeseed nectar for the human body are due to its rich chemical composition. It is characterized by antibacterial, immunostimulating, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging effect and makes it possible to improve the condition of the whole organism with regular use.
- Is he:
- helps to fight depression, irritability, fatigue, normalizes sleep;
- cleanses the body of harmful substances, removes toxins and toxins;
- prevents premature aging, rejuvenates the skin, improves the condition of hair and nails;
- has a positive effect on metabolic processes, normalizes the digestive tract, prevents the development of stomach ulcers and duodenal ulcers;
- normalizes the level of cholesterol in the blood;
- activates the production of gastric juice, reduces the manifestation of nausea;
- improves the cardiovascular system, strengthens the walls of blood vessels, normalizes blood pressure;
- supports external and internal beauty;
- normalizes the functioning of many internal organs, in particular, the kidneys, liver, pancreas, spleen.
Read also about the beneficial properties and application of coriander honey.
This product is allowed to be used by people suffering from ailments of the blood, cardiovascular system, thyroid gland. The product contains easily digestible carbohydrates that quickly saturate the body and provide a feeling of satiety for a long time, so it is suitable for those who are struggling with extra pounds.
Contraindications and possible harm
Due to the high content of saccharides in rapeseed, it can be harmful to certain categories of consumers.
- children under 7 years old;
- pregnant women and women breastfeeding, due to the risk of allergic reactions;
- people with chronic ailments in the acute phase;
- with personal intolerance;
- obese people.
It is also worth noting that the rapeseed product in its homeland, in the northern regions of America, is obtained from genetically modified rapeseed, so it is difficult to talk about the benefits of overseas honey.
Important! The product should not be consumed too often, because if these dosages are not observed, the likelihood of diabetes mellitus increases.
How to identify real canola honey?
Of course, the benefits of nectar from rapeseed will be determined by its quality.
In order to get a good product, you should know how it looks, what it smells and what color should be:
- the color of natural rapeseed honey can vary from colorless, beige-white to light yellow;
- the product is characterized by an almost elusive, thin, pleasant honey smell;
- taste of nectar - sweet, even cloying, has a slight bitterness;
- the consistency of nectar is quite thick, matte, it is poorly soluble in the aquatic environment;
- 14-21 days after pumping out, it quickly crystallizes;
- when it enters the oral cavity, rapeseed honey, unlike others, does not melt instantly, but dissolves gradually.
Did you know? Checking the naturalness of nectar from rapeseed by dissolving it in water does not work. To carry out the check, experts advise you to do the following: drop a little honey on a blank sheet of paper, leave for a few minutes. If, after removing the product from the paper, a wet spot remains on it, then it is not real.
How to use
In order for the product to have maximum effectiveness in terms of therapy, it, like any other medicinal product, should be used dosed, strictly observing the proportions. In this case, the daily portion will depend on the problem that must be resolved through this product. Traditional medicine provides a description of several simple but effective treatment recipes.
For the nervous system
Nectar has a positive effect on the functioning of the nervous system, activates brain activity, relieves depression, irritation, and normalizes night rest. For nervous disorders, honey is recommended to be taken with milk.
Such a cocktail has a sedative effect, calms the nervous system, is very useful for fatigue and insomnia. A glass of milk mixed with 1 tbsp. l Nectar must be taken in the morning and evening.
For the cardiovascular system
Rapeseed honey strengthens the walls of blood vessels, normalizes blood pressure, and normalizes the functioning of the cardiovascular system. The presence of glucose makes it an excellent tool for the treatment and prevention of heart disease.
A cocktail of milk and honey saves from sudden changes in pressure, lowers blood sugar, and reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes. For therapy, it is necessary to use honey water in a dosage of 200-250 ml in the morning, before meals, or drink one glass of warm milk with nectar.
Important! You can’t add the product to hot water, because under the influence of high temperatures it loses valuable qualities and converts medicinal substances into toxic ones.
For the digestive tract
The use of rapeseed has a positive effect on the work of all digestive organs. It cleanses the intestines, helps to accelerate metabolic and metabolic processes, allows you to remove excess water from the body, thereby making it possible to get rid of a few extra pounds. In addition, honey enriches the intestinal microflora, normalizes its secretion, and helps food to be better absorbed.
Indications for the consumption of rapeseed nectar are gastritis, peptic ulcer, increased acidity of the stomach. To improve the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, it is recommended to consume on an empty stomach honey water: 1 tsp. The product is dissolved in slightly warmed water, drunk 15-20 minutes before eating.
With lesions and diseases of the skin
In addition to internal use, honey is used to treat skin ailments, wounds and other lesions. Honey lotions do not dry the skin, cleanse and soften the skin, contribute to the rapid healing of wounds, boils, acne, abscesses, burns, scratches, etc. For treatment, it is recommended to do 2-3 compresses per day until the damage is completely healed.
For inflammation in the oral cavity and larynx
Since nectar has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory functions, it is widely used to treat inflammation and ulcers in the oral cavity. For the treatment of stomatitis, gingivitis should be 1 tsp. slowly dissolve the honey until it is completely dissolved.
Also, the product can be used to treat the larynx. For this, 1 tsp. dissolved in water and rinsed up to 5-6 times a day. This allows damaged mucous parts to obtain the necessary amount of valuable substances, due to which there is a quick restoration and regeneration of cells.
Terms and conditions of storage
Since rapeseed nectar tends to crystallize quickly, sour and deteriorate, its experts recommend storing it in a tightly closed, sterilized container made of dark glass or ceramic, in a dry, cool place, with stable temperature values of + 15 ... + 20 ° С, protecting the container from direct sunlight. It is not recommended to leave honey open, as it is able to quickly absorb extraneous odors. In a refrigerator, storage of the product is allowed for no more than six months. The maximum duration of preservation of nectar at home is no more than 3-4 months.
Did you know? In order to get 1 tbsp. l honey, the work of two hundred bees is needed, which throughout the whole day will collect nectar from flowers and plants.
Rapeseed honey, although it is not a valuable food product, in comparison with other species, but has a unique organic composition, which allows you to use it for the treatment and prevention of many ailments. It is highly effective in the treatment of ENT organs, nervous and cardiovascular systems, gastrointestinal tract. However, it should be remembered that the product is high-calorie, with a high content of saccharides, so its use should be strictly dosed.