Growing and caring for Capri strawberries
Strawberries Capri refers to the modern varieties of the repairing type, which bear fruit several times during the season. The characteristics of the variety and the technology for growing this berry are described below.
Description and characteristics of the culture
Capri is an Italian variety whose copyright is the Consortium of Italian Nurseries (CIV). Removable strawberries have gained popularity in the European market, and since 2012 they are also represented in the Asian market.
Did you know? Strawberries in the Russian language are called large-fruited (or garden) strawberries. It occupies 70% of the world market of berries.
Description of bushes and strawberries Capri
The following signs are characteristic of bushes and berries of this variety:
- average growth force;
- foliage of medium density;
- whiskers are rare;
- flowers are white, on straight stems, with a lot of pollen;
- conical-shaped berries, uniform and attractive;
- the color of the berries is bright red, shiny;
- the pulp is red, dense;
- the taste is excellent, sweet;
- berries weight - 25-30 g, maximum - up to 35 g (according to domestic sources).
Frost and drought resistance
The Italian manufacturer does not provide accurate data on frost resistance and drought tolerance of berries. In Russian-speaking sources, sufficient winter hardiness for the middle band and excellent drought tolerance of the variety are noted. The berries tolerate the direct rays of the sun, but for the best result, it is recommended to shade the garden bed and water it regularly in especially dry periods.
Fruiting and Yield
Due to its maintenance, Capri provides regular and long fruiting, from early summer to late autumn. The number of berries picked directly depends on the agricultural technology used. Various sources refer to an indicator of 2 kg or more from the bush, more than 15 kg from 1 m² of plantings and up to 1 kg from the bush with insufficient care.
Commercial qualities of berries
By the end of the season, there is a loss of uniformity in the shape of the berries, but their taste does not deteriorate. The variety also retains sweetness in the rainy year. Strong but thin peel and dense pulp allow berries to tolerate transportation well and be stored for a long time.
Like many repair varieties, Capri has good immunity. Resistance to gray rot and various spotting is especially noted.
Read also our e-magazine on strawberry cultivation.
Advantages and disadvantages
- The undoubted advantages of Capri should include:
- prolonged fruiting;
- excellent taste of berries;
- high productivity;
- drought tolerance;
- long storage and easy transportation.
- The relative disadvantages of the variety include the following characteristics:
- rare appearance of mustache;
- form deterioration by the end of the season.
Features of planting a plant
For a full crop, it is necessary to plant high-quality and healthy plants at the right time on a previously prepared site.
Seedling and planting choices
Already at the seedling stage, you can notice the characteristic signs of disease or pest damage.
Healthy plants should look like this:
- leaves without spots, saturated color;
- thick horn (not less than 7 mm);
- with open roots, their length should not be less than 7 cm;
- the peat pot should be completely braided by the roots, and the seedlings in the cassette or cup should spread the roots throughout the container.
For a strawberry bed, a place that is sunny and not blown by the cold wind is necessary. Avoid areas where water may stagnate. The soil on the bed should have a fertile composition and a neutral reaction.
You can plant strawberries after legumes, beets, carrots, garlic and radishes. The bed where potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and cabbage grew is better not to use. In a land cleared of weeds, they bring in a bucket of compost or humus, as well as 5 kg of ash per 1 m².
In spring, seedlings are transferred to the open ground after the onset of steady heat, approximately in mid-May. Autumn planting should take place so that the plants have time to take root and gain strength before winter. The best time for this is the end of August or September.
Landing pattern and technology
This variety can be grown densely. Landing is performed in one of two ways:
- in rows, leaving between plants 20–25 cm, the interval between rows is 70 cm;
- "Carpet", distributing plants according to the scheme 20 × 20 cm.
Seedlings are planted on a non-hot cloudy day according to this algorithm:
- Dig holes about 20 cm deep.
- At the seedlings, the lower leaves are removed and with a lump of soil they are transferred to the holes, spreading the roots.
- Sprinkle the bush with soil so that the growth point is at ground level. They squeeze the earth, filling the void.
- Water each plant.
- The soil under the plants is mulched with straw, sawdust or peat.
Strawberries can be planted on a bed previously covered with black agrofibre. To dig holes, make a cross-shaped incision in the selected place, and then proceed as described above.
Recommended: soil for strawberries at home.
Capri Strawberry Care
Repairing varieties require proper agricultural practices. In order for the plant to bear fruit all season and bring large berries, fertilizing and watering are necessary.
Immediately after transplanting, the bushes are watered daily, and then every 2–4 days. Plants of last year in the spring are watered in the absence of rain. Approximately 3-4 times the soil should be moistened in May and June, and in August and September the bed is watered at least 2 times a month.
For full-fledged fruiting of the culture, it is necessary to maintain a constant soil moisture at a depth of 3-5 cm. To do this, use drip or traditional watering.
Important! Strawberries should be watered only with morning water in the morning or evening.
In the spring, after removing the old foliage, the first dressing of the bed is carried out with ammonium nitrate or urea (urea). By the end of June, flower stalks of the second crop will begin to emerge and the plants should be shed with a bucket of chicken droppings dissolved in 8-10 parts of water.
It is necessary to feed strawberries until late autumn, while root growth continues. In addition to organics, mineral substances (Kemira Lux, Kristallin, etc.) are suitable.
After the last harvest, it is necessary to carry out a series of events that allow the strawberry garden to successfully survive the winter cold.
- at the beginning of autumn, all flower stalks must be cut;
- after the first frosts, you need to trim the foliage and mustache without damaging the sinuses of the upper leaves (some gardeners put off this process until spring);
- when the temperature is set to minus, the bed should be covered with straw or fallen leaves (non-woven material is used in the northern regions).
Learn more about how to protect strawberries from frost.
Pest and Disease Control
For repair strawberries, the following pests are most dangerous:
- Aphids - to combat it, it is possible to treat with garlic infusion. To prepare it, insist 2 heads of garlic in 3 liters of water for a week.
- Slugs - to protect against them, the bed can be surrounded by a groove with lime or ash, tobacco or pepper.
- Weevils and ticks - against them use the treatment "Karbofos", "Actellic" and other drugs according to the instructions.
To prevent the development of diseases, use this spray schedule:
- in early spring, treatment of the beds with 2-3% Bordeaux mixture is necessary;
- before flowering, Topsin-M, Quadrice and similar fungicides are effective;
- twice more fungicides are used 2 and 4 weeks after flowering.
Important! A strawberry growing plot needs to be changed every 4 years.
Harvesting and storage of crops
Capri strawberries are easily removed from the stem, which greatly facilitates harvesting. The berries have a universal purpose and are suitable for fresh consumption as well as for freezing, processing and cooking various dishes.
Fresh strawberries should be stored unwashed at a temperature of 0 ... + 2 ° C. If the berry begins to mold, it should be discarded immediately.
The restanting Capri strawberry variety is an excellent option both for commercial cultivation and for a personal plot. Providing plants with regular watering and top dressing, you can get a high yield of sweet strawberries.