The benefits and harms of beets for a woman’s body
Beetroot is a vegetable that combines unique healing properties and a vitamin and mineral complex. This root crop, which is usual for us, which can be found on the counter of any vegetable store, often remains underestimated, although it has excellent characteristics as a therapeutic and cosmetic product, in addition to being actively used in cooking.
Calorie content and chemical composition
The potential of useful substances is very large, regardless of the form in which this product is eaten. However, some indicators still vary slightly, which can be seen in the table below.
|Calorie content||43 kcal||49 kcal|
|Vitamins||A, B1, B2, PP, B4, B5, B6, B9, C, E, N|
|Minerals||Potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iodine, zinc, magnesium, iron, sulfur, fluorine, sodium, chlorine, boron|
|Amino acids||Lysine, Betaine, Arginine, Valine, Histidine|
|Acids||Milk, apple, wine, lemon, oxal, oleanolic, folic|
|Squirrels||1.5 g||1.8 g|
|Carbohydrates||9.6 g||8.8 g|
Why beets are good for women
This product is extremely interesting for women, as it favorably affects their health and beauty, and in particular:
- on the endocrine system and the balance of hormones. Due to the content of water-soluble vitamin B9, also known as folic acid, and valine amino acids, hormonal health is stabilized in the female body. Beetroot helps to eliminate difficulties before the onset of menstruation, as well as during it. Due to the high concentration of iron, it is recommended as a prophylactic to eliminate the risk of anemia;
- on the immune system - due to the content of the amino acid arginine, which effectively strengthens the protective functions of the body, affects cancer cells, and is also an active antioxidant;
- on the condition of blood vessels and heart. Beetroot contains flavonoids, which successfully reduce the level of pressure, purify the blood and prevent spasms of blood vessels. Also effective on these organs are iodine, niacin, oleanolic acid. The beetroot contains the substance “betaine”, due to which this root crop has such a bright color; betaine promotes the elimination of cholesterol from blood vessels, lowers blood pressure and thereby prevents the risk of atherosclerosis. In addition to all this, a large amount of iron stimulates the production of hemoglobin and reduces the risk of anemia;
- on the digestive organs. Beetroot arsenal of amino acids and, mainly, betaine, which is a food enzyme, is able to establish the normal functioning of the digestive system. This complex activates the absorption of nutrients that a person receives with food, and is also responsible for the further excretion of waste products, enhancing the liver. Fiber is also important for digestion, affecting intestinal motility and promoting the removal of digestion products, and, as a result, eliminating constipation. Pectins contained in beets are responsible for the balance of intestinal microflora and the removal of harmful cholesterol;
- on the state of the nervous system. Normalization and stability of the emotional state of a woman is largely dependent on folic acid, which contributes to hormonal balance. In addition to this vitamin, the root crop also contains the amino acid valine, which is responsible for the circulation of nitrogen. Vitamins such as B3 and B12, A, C, D and E strengthen the work of the nervous system;
- to the visual system. Due to the content of nitrous compounds - nitrates, the use of beets helps stimulate blood flow to the visual organs and strengthens the cells of the cornea of the eye, and the zinc contained in it helps prevent retinal detachment;
- on the condition of the skin, the strength and beauty of the hair. Zinc has a special effect on the skin, increasing the firmness and elasticity of the skin, helping to eliminate acne, warts, freckles, peeling, and folic acid, which stimulates the renewal of skin cells;
- by weight, normalizing it. The low calorie content in a large volume of the product allows you to actively use it for a feeling of fullness without adding extra weight. In addition, due to the positive effects on digestion, bowel contractions improve and the emptying process brings less discomfort;
- on the energy reserve of forces. The action of insulin in the body becomes longer and the person receives a boost of vigor.
- vitamin B9, that is, folic acid, which is useful both to the expectant mother, and to the emerging and developing fetus;
- lysine - an amino acid involved in the creation and growth of bone tissue of the fetus;
- iodine, iron and zinc.
Did you know? The beets are considered to be the homeland of the Mediterranean countries, from where it was brought into our region in the 10th century. This vegetable contributes to:
- normalization of the intestines and the elimination of constipation, which pregnant women often encounter;
- the optimal state of intestinal microflora, and therefore - strengthening immunity;
- accumulation of energy and vitality, a charge of vivacity;
- reduce the likelihood of a significant rise or fall in blood pressure;
- normalization of the psychoemotional state, mood swings;
- reduce the risk of fetal hypoxia, lack of oxygen, due to the significant reserves of iron in the product.
This root crop without heat treatment is also extremely useful. It is successfully used in cooking, combined with other vegetables, fruits, spices and nuts.
Learn more about raw beets.
- The benefits of the raw vegetable should be described in more detail:
- effective laxative. This use of the vegetable has an active effect on intestinal motility;
- anti-inflammatory agent;
- powerful antioxidant. A fresh vegetable is able to remove not only toxins, but also radionuclides, as well as salts of heavy metals;
- in a fresh root crop there is a lot of betacyanin, a red pigment that is effective in the fight against cancer;
- disease prevention: Alzheimer's, atherosclerosis, osteoporosis, heart pathologies goes well with the use of raw beets;
- normalization of metabolic processes, weight loss;
- relief of the liver;
- influence on the state of blood vessels and capillaries, which become more elastic.
And yet, most often, recipes suggest using beets as a main or additional ingredient in boiled or baked form. It may seem that with this method of serving this vegetable, it will lose all or part of its benefits, but this is not so. Some properties of the product will become even more pronounced, while others will remain unchanged.
- The main benefits of the product are as follows:
- in a large amount of iron, which is very effective in preventing anemia and combating it, and recovering from blood loss;
- in the content of boron, which is responsible for setting the hormonal background;
- it is a good antioxidant;
- a positive effect on the functioning of the nervous system;
- maintaining the body's defenses;
- in adjusting the intestines;
- facilitating the process of losing weight and getting rid of excess weight.
A popular drink is the juice obtained from this unique root crop, which is offered to drink in many different diets. The fundamental difference between juice and the use of the product in its raw form is that it is a drink and there are no fiber.
We recommend that you learn more about the benefits of beet juice for the human body.
- The following can be said about the advantages of such a product:
- the main advantage of this form is its convenience, since drinking a glass of juice is much more convenient and faster than eating even one root crop, and the benefits will be the same. However, do not forget that this product is very concentrated;
- strong anti-inflammatory effect. In traditional medicine recipes, drops of beetroot juice, with the addition of other elements, are recommended for the treatment of rhinitis and gargling;
- positively affects the immunity of people undergoing radiation therapy in oncology;
- helps with a severe loss of strength and lack of vitamins, in particular with a low level of hemoglobin;
- useful for problems with intestinal motility;
- serves to prevent the appearance of blood clots.
Important! Beetroot juice is very concentrated, and therefore, the product should not be drunk freshly squeezed. The prepared drink is prepared in advance and left in an open container for several hours, which allows most of the harmful compounds to evaporate during this time.
When using beetroot juice, you should know these rules:
- An adult should not drink more than 600 ml of pure product per day.
- The maximum dose of the drink at a time should not exceed 100 ml.
- It is recommended to start juice intake gradually, for the first time a couple of teaspoons will be enough.
- Drink juice 15 minutes before meals, in small sips.
- Juice is not recommended to be prepared from a cold product, so beets should be removed from the refrigerator in advance.
- Beet juice is best combined with the juice of sweet fruits and vegetables; carrots and apples are most often used.
- It is also bred with boiled water.
- You should not drink this juice along with acidic foods and yeast dough.
Beetroot leaves and stalks, and otherwise tops, are in no way inferior in use to the root crop itself, and even surpass it in retinol content. The main difference between the tops and the vegetable itself is the taste, since the tops are bitter and not as sweet as the root crop. However, to eliminate this quality, it is poured with boiling water.
The leaves and stems contain the same vitamins and minerals, and the presence of:
Read more about the beneficial and harmful properties of beet tops.
Tops are useful for people with heart diseases, digestive tract problems, endocrine system pathologies. In addition, she:
- effective for the prevention of sclerosis;
- prevents the occurrence of internal hemorrhage;
- contributes to the treatment of gastritis and ulcers;
- used for weight loss.
- as greens for salads, sourdough for kvass, filling for pies;
- as a means of traditional medicine;
- as a cosmetic component.
Did you know? Beets are the sweetest vegetable. Since the 19th century, sugar has been produced in Russia exclusively from this type of root crop, and not from sugar cane, as it was before.
Contraindications and harm
Active use of beets is not possible for everyone, since it contains quite aggressive substances that can negatively affect a person’s well-being.
- people with individual intolerance to the product, or in other words - allergies;
- those who have a state of digestive upset should stop taking juice, which can greatly aggravate the situation;
- with inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract in an acute condition;
- suffering from pathologies of the kidneys, in particular from urolithiasis. Oxalic acid promotes the formation of oxalates in the kidneys and urine;
- with osteoporosis, it is worthwhile to carefully consider the amount of calcium consumed, since beets do not allow it to be well absorbed in the body, as a result of which a deficiency of this important element may occur;
- with gastritis with high acidity, it is also worth moderately consuming beets, regardless of the form of its preparation, since the product can further increase the acidity level;
- with gout;
- with rheumatoid arthritis;
- with hypotension, since the use of beets acts to lower the pressure.
Important! People with a disease such as diabetes should be careful when taking beets, controlling the amount of root crops and the form of their preparation.
For example, diabetics can safely eat a 100-gram portion of beetroot salad in a boiled form or a plate of borsch, but in the fresh form it is permissible to drink no more than 50 ml of beet juice. In many ways, these restrictions apply to people with the second type of this disease, with the first - this framework is not so strict.
Why red urine in women after beets
As already mentioned, beetroot contains such a pigment as betanin. It is powerful and does not break down immediately under the action of food juices in the stomach, but is absorbed into the intestines, as a result of which urine can acquire a color from light pink to a more saturated shade of red. Betanine pigment enters the blood after 2-3 hours, in 90% of people it is not absorbed in the body and excreted through the genitourinary system.
For better assimilation of the product, it is recommended to pay more attention to chewing it with food. This effect is short-lived, since after 5-6 hours, under normal health conditions, urine will acquire its natural color.
Important! If more than 48 hours have passed after eating beetroot dishes, and the color of urine has not become a normal color, then you need to consult a doctor. Perhaps the reason for this condition is in the “lazy” stomach and the delayed transit of the food lump.
Scopes of beets:
Beets can be used in cooking:
- fresh, as one of the ingredients of the salad, or in the form of juice;
- in boiled;
- in baked form.
- the vinaigrette;
- a herring under a fur coat and other salads.
- soft cheeses, for example - feta cheese;
- dried fruits, prune is especially worth noting;
- salads, arugula, other greens;
- apples in any form, both baked and fresh;
For salad dressing with beets it is recommended to use:
- sour cream;
- vegetable oil with a few drops of lemon juice;
- balsamic vinegar;
Beetroot is a well-known cosmetic product that has been used both for medicinal and decorative purposes since ancient times. Thanks to the bright red pigment, it served as a blush, and was also used to get rid of skin problems of various types.
It has the following effect on the skin:
- moisturizes her;
- eliminates dryness;
- stimulates collagen production;
- forms a barrier protection against pathogenic microflora;
- cleans pores from mud particles and sebaceous congestions.
Important! Since beets contain a very active dye that can cause an allergic reaction, people with sensitive, snow-white skin should use cosmetics based on it.
Mask number 1
Purpose: to nourish oily skin type.
- Boil beets, peel, finely grate until puree-like consistency.
- In a separate container, mix 1 tbsp. l beetroot puree and 1 chicken yolk.
- Apply a mask. There should be no makeup on the face.
- The session lasts 30 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with warm water, carefully removing all the product from the face.
- Apply a nourishing cream.
Mask number 2
Appointment: for removal of inflammation on problem skin.
- Peel the root crop and squeeze the juice out of it using a juicer. Peel the potatoes and grate it on a fine grater.
- Mix the resulting juice with potato gruel, adding a little flour to thicken, then bring the mixture to such a consistency that it does not drain.
- Apply a mask and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with water mixed with milk in equal proportions. For skin tone, it is better to use cold milk.
Mask number 3
Appointment: for rejuvenation of face skin, giving freshness.
- It is necessary to prepare 1 tbsp. l beetroot juice, 1 tbsp. l sour cream, 1 banana, which must be crushed in a blender to a puree state.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Apply the resulting cosmetic product to the face.
- Leave the mask for 12 minutes.
- Rinse off.
Appointment: for improvement of structure of hair, strengthening of a hair bulb.
- On a fine grater, rub the beets and onions, taken in equal volume.
- In the resulting slurry, add burdock oil warmed up in a water bath, several tablespoons are enough.
- Apply a mask along the entire length of the hair, put on a hat for painting the head, and then wrap hair with a towel for a warming effect.
- Leave the mask for 40 minutes.
- Wash your hair.