Yellow roses: the meaning and description of the best varieties
Yellow roses undeservedly “fell out of favor” with some people - traditionally many superstitions and beliefs are associated with them. In fact, this is a great option for flower beds and flower pots. What varieties are worth paying attention to and how to properly care for these beautiful flowers — read on about this.
Description of the best varieties of yellow roses
Today there are many varieties of roses with yellow petals, which attract the attention of gardeners with their features.
- Golden Celebration is an attractive and well-known variety. A characteristic feature is large, copper-yellow or peach flowers of spherical shape, located on drooping branches and having terry. If you look closely at the buds, small pink spots are visible on their petals, due to which the “copper” effect of the yellow base is achieved. The leaves are dark and hard, the shoots are moderately prickly. The aroma of flowers is pronounced. The variety is resistant to disease, blooming profusely.
- Pilgrim . Many flower growers consider the variety perfect, which is explained by the terry nature of the petals and the combination of shades of yellow: the color of the inner petals is more saturated, and the outer ones are lighter, which sometimes makes them appear almost white. Being a hybrid variety, it has an aroma reminiscent of a combination of myrrh and tea rose. Adult bushes are suitable for planting in gardens and park areas, as they have large, noticeable flower brushes that retain their color for months. Lush bushes, with strong shoots and shiny wax leaves of dark green color. In height, the bush reaches 105–305 cm with the necessary conditions.
- Decor Harlequin . The main feature is the presence of a large number of different flowers on one bush: there can be bright yellow, scarlet, pink-raspberry and rich red tones, replacing each other on different parts of the flower's petals. Sometimes on the surface of flowers there are blotches or strips of light color, the edges of which are corrugated (this creates the effect of airiness). The diameter of the buds is 9–11 cm, located both one by one and by inflorescences. Decor Harlequin is characterized by high resistance to disease and temperature changes, and he is not afraid of heat and rain. Suitable for creating hedges, both in a single version, and when planting in a group.
- Arthur Bell is a famous English variety whose flowers are characterized by a pronounced smell of fruit. The disadvantage is that rose petals quickly fade under direct sunlight and acquire a lemon or cream shade. Because of this, it is better not to plant bushes in highly lit places. Each bud has about 20 petals, the leaves of the plant are hard, dark green in color, the height of the bush is 100 cm. The variety is resistant to powdery mildew and spotting.
- Golden wedding - hybrid tea, unpretentious, long-blooming variety. The bush often reaches a height of 90 cm, while having a diameter of about 0.5 m. Externally - a compact plant, with strong shoots that are suitable for cutting. Flowers are combined in flower brushes of 3-5 terry buds of golden yellow color. They emit a pleasant, light and unobtrusive smell. During the warm season, they bloom continuously. Resistance to disease and extreme weather changes is average. The same applies to frost resistance, so it is better to shelter flowers for the winter.
What do yellow roses symbolize?
Roses are the most popular flowers that are given for the holidays. Even the ancient Greeks considered them a symbol of beauty and love, associating with the goddess Aphrodite. This value has been preserved today, however, the color of flowers plays a significant role.
Did you know? The sizes of the smallest roses in the world are comparable to the sizes of rice grains. Her buds are called "C".
Considering yellow roses as a symbol of separation, betrayal and disappointment, some believe that giving them to nothing. At the same time, there are also “defenders” of flowers, who cite mythological beliefs and opinions of psychologists as arguments.
In the first case, the yellow color of the flower means wealth, and in the second - a sign of optimism and harmony, which positively affects the emotional state of a person.
In practice, yellow roses are often awarded for birthdays, family and other holidays. Increasingly found in the composition of flower arrangements, symbolizing youth, beauty, affection. Considering it as a symbol of pride, they give it to significant events related to career advancement or academic success.
Growing and Care Rules
The rules for caring for a flower grown depend on its variety, but there are a number of general points that you should pay attention to, regardless of which rose grows at home. Pay attention to the following criteria.
Lighting and temperature
The site for planting flowers should be well lit by diffused sunlight, which will not burn the delicate flower petals. Better to choose places on the southwest and southeast side of the site.
Important! Try to plant rose bushes in a calm place, because even with small temperature fluctuations, drafts and sharp gusts of wind can lead to shedding of flower ovaries.
Watering and feeding
An indicator for irrigation will be the drying rate of the upper soil layer. Most roses are drought-tolerant plants, so you can water them 1-2 times a week, although in hot periods the number of waterings is increased to 3 or 4 times. So that after watering on the surface of the soil a crust does not form, you need to periodically loosen the earth around the bush.
Fertilizers are applied for the first time in early spring, shortly after pruning the bush. It is necessary to apply a nitrogen-containing composition that allows you to quickly resume the green mass of the flower. After 15 days, fertilizer application is repeated, only this time nitroammophoska is used as a nutritional composition.
Both of these fertilizers give the plant the necessary nutrients, but for maximum effectiveness, their application should be continued in early June and early July, again alternating formulations with each other. Minerals destroy the soil microflora, while organic substances restore and renew the rose.
Important! Liquid nutrient compounds can not be applied to dry soil, first the earth needs to be shed with water, which will help protect the root system from burns.
Pruning and reproduction
For the most part, pruning is done for sanitary purposes by removing dry and damaged shoots and leaves. In the summer, after the first flowering of the bushes, it is possible to cut withered flowers from them to give the bush more strength for subsequent lush flowering.
Combination with other plants
Despite the unpretentiousness of care, yellow roses are demanding for the choice of neighbors, therefore, they are not combined with all species.
You will be interested to learn about the description of the smallest varieties of roses, as well as the most fragrant and fragrant.
The right solution would be to land next to:
- sea buckthorn;
- yellow acacia;
In combination with the lilac color of some shrubs, the natural yellow color of roses will give the plants a greater parade. The blue color enhances the beauty of the flower, therefore, together with them, small spruce, arborvitae, juniper trees look good. The main thing is to plant tall conifers from the northern part of the site so that they do not obscure the roses.
In addition to the general composition, perennials are used, suitable of which:
- blue asters;
- When planting yellow roses in standard flower beds and flower beds, it is advisable to compact them with perennial or annual herbaceous crops that will help cover the soil and prevent the appearance of “bald spots”.
- Together with yellow flowers, you can plant vegetation of muted tones, but with similar shades. This will help create groups of contrasting color palettes.
- Varieties with delicate white flower petals look advantageous with cream-colored roses, including hybrid varieties.
- Bright specimens are combined with plants of green and yellow-green color, not necessarily floral.
- The combination of yellow roses with blue and blue plants looks beautiful.
Did you know? The oldest rose in the world is considered to be growing near the local cathedral in the city of Hildesheim (Germany). The flower bush has already reached the roof of the building and, according to some reports, has been growing at this place for about a thousand years, delighting visitors with a small but plentiful flowering.
Yellow roses, annual or perennial, look advantageous in any part of the garden, but it is better to supplement them with other bushes. Small and double yellow flowers will create beautiful vibrant borders and hedges, emphasizing the curves of garden paths.
In addition, these flowers look good in vertical compositions, for the construction of which metal supports are used.
If desired, you can plant yellow roses in a rockery or multi-tiered flower beds, where they will look elegant in combination with other shades of flowers or complement the overall picture as the only plants of each individual tier.
Compared to other species, they are not very demanding of care, and most superstitions will accept more speculation and fear than facts based on the personal experience of generations. Follow the rules for caring for roses, and flowering will be lush and regular.