Why is there blood in a chicken egg and what to do with it
Chicken eggs are a very healthy product that contains a large amount of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, which are vital for the human body. People who regularly use this product may experience a defect such as the presence of blood clots in different parts of it. You will learn from the article what causes this phenomenon causes and whether it is possible to eat such eggs.
Blood may be present in protein, yolk, and less commonly on the shell. The reasons why this happens can be different, provoked by some problems in the body of the bird or hereditary factors. Consider the main ones.
Did you know? You can determine whether a fresh egg is or not by placing it in a container with cold water. For a long time, it will float to the surface with a blunt end up, and a good one will sink to the bottom in a horizontal position. This is because a fresh egg has a small air chamber.
Blood in protein
If the laying hen begins to lay eggs interspersed with blood in the protein, this may be a consequence of:
- poor nutrition;
- deficiency of minerals, in particular potassium, magnesium, selenium.
Blood in the yolk
Most often, blood clots and spots can be found in the center of the egg. The following reasons lead to this:
- improper feeding;
- weakening of the immune system;
- infectious diseases caused by viruses, bacteria, parasites;
- lack of any valuable substances in the body;
- age-related changes;
- excessive protein intake.
Blood on the shell appears in such cases:
- with trauma or inflammation of the oviduct;
- due to inflammation of the reproductive system;
- with overpopulation of the chicken coop and bird cannibalism;
- due to improper care;
- due to non-compliance with sanitary standards.
Is it possible to eat an egg with blood inside
Undoubtedly, many people are scared of blood inclusions, which immediately raises the question of whether it is dangerous or not to eat such foods. There are no restrictions on the use of eggs with blood - however, only after sufficient heat treatment. If the egg contained blood, and it turned out, for example, in a container before cooking scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs or baked goods, the clot can simply be removed with a knife.
If there is blood on the shell, it must be washed well under water. This should be done immediately before cooking. The washed egg does not need to be stored.
Important! Not always blood in the yolk means that the chicken is sick. This may be due to the fact that during the formation of the egg a blood vessel burst, and part of the blood fell into the yolk. Blood inclusion in isolated cases should not cause concern.
Options for solving the problem
If you increasingly find blood in raw eggs, you need to establish which chicken carries them, and then proceed to search for causes. Such a bird is quarantined - a dry, well-ventilated, clean room with adequate lighting, and its treatment is carried out.
In most cases, it is impossible to detect a serious cause on your own. Only a veterinarian can accurately, based on the accompanying symptoms, make a diagnosis and prescribe competent therapy.
A thorough examination of the blood-producing testicles is also necessary. With blood on the shell, the poultry owner can independently notice inflammation of the oviduct. It can be removed by daily douching with a saline solution prepared from 2-3 small tablespoons of salt dissolved in 250 ml of heated water.
The procedure is carried out, only making sure that the testicle is not in the oviduct. It is also recommended that you douche with antiseptic agents that a specialist can prescribe.
Important! If blood is detected in the egg, the hen needs to be quarantined and see if it has other symptoms. Do not treat the poultry yourself. This can lead to a deterioration in its condition and undesirable consequences.
In addition to douching, oviducts are lubricated with vaseline and wound is treated with hydrogen peroxide. These procedures can soften the mucosa and stimulate wound healing.
If there is an infection in the poultry, antibiotic therapy (metronidazole and drugs including tetracycline, penicillin) will be required. Drugs in the appropriate dosage are mixed into feed and water.
If the living conditions and diet were improved, the chicken did not have additional symptoms, and “bloody” eggs appear regularly, then, most likely, there is a hereditary factor. Such a layer is subject to rejection.
Did you know? The longer the egg is cooked, the worse it is digested by the human digestive tract. The body will need 3 hours to digest a hard-boiled product.
Useful tips and prevention
Of course, instead of eliminating the problem, it’s better to prevent it. To prevent the appearance of blood clots in eggs, it is necessary:
- Keep chickens in accordance with the recommended conditions for the settlement of the chicken coop - no more than 5-6 individuals per 1 sq. Km. m at the floor, and up to 10 goals per 1 square. m when living in cells.
- Timely carry out cleaning of the chicken coop, disinfect drinking bowls, feeders and equipment.
- Make a nutritious, balanced diet for birds, containing all the necessary vitamin and mineral complex.
- If the first symptoms of the disease are detected in one or more individuals, isolate them immediately and seek veterinary care.
- For the prevention of oviduct diseases, it is necessary to replenish the feed with iodine and potassium (3 mg per 1 specimen).
- To generally increase disease resistance, you can introduce chloride-chloran (30 mg) for 20 days.
- It is important to regularly conduct preventive examinations of the livestock in order to identify health problems in a timely manner.
- Try not to stress the birds.
Find out why domestic chickens die: the causes and treatment of possible diseases.
To fix and fix the problem, the chicken must be isolated and seek veterinary care. For humans, eating eggs with blood clots or threads is not dangerous. They can be eaten after heat treatment.