Why does a sheffler drop leaves
Scheffler refers to unpretentious tropical plants that are often grown both in homes and in offices. Despite its ability to grow well under almost any microclimate conditions, a flower may suddenly begin to drop foliage. About the possible reasons why the Scheffler takes off the leaves and how to deal with this problem, later in the article.
Improper care or conditions
Most often, sudden falling of flower leaves is associated with improper care or inappropriate indoor climate conditions. In this case, you need to carefully analyze all the external factors affecting the sheffler, and find the cause of the fall of the green mass. Only then can specific actions be taken to eliminate this problem.
Did you know? Bioenergy claims that Scheffler absorbs negative energy and relieves stress.
Poor lighting or direct sunlight
For normal growth, a sheffler needs bright diffused light. With a lack of lighting, the leaves of the flower begin to fade and turn yellow, and then fall off. In direct sunlight, the flower may appear sunburned.
- if possible, put a pot with a plant near the eastern or western windows - in such a place the sheffler will receive a sufficient amount of light, but will not be exposed to direct sunlight;
- in rooms with southern windows, place a flower at a small distance from the window so that direct sunlight does not reach it;
- in darkened rooms, as well as during short daylight hours, use artificial lighting.
Non-compliance with the irrigation regime
This fact is the most common reason that leaves shatter in shefflers.
As a result of improper watering, phenomena such as:
- rotting of the roots of the flower with a significant excess of moisture in the soil, especially in a cold room;
- drying out of the earthen coma and the death of the root system with a lack of water.
At the initial stage, fixing this problem is easy. To do this, it is enough to adjust the watering mode and cut off those leaves of the flower that are completely dried up.
Important! So that water does not accumulate around the shefflers' roots and does not cause them to rot, there should be a drainage layer in the pot.
But if the root system of the shefflers suffered, then more serious actions need to be taken:
- Remove the plant from the old pot and carefully examine all its roots.
- Cut off rotten, damaged and dead roots.
- Place the shufflers roots in a fungicide or Epina solution for a couple of hours.
- Transplant a flower into fresh soil.
- Process the ground part of the shufflers with Epin and cover it with a package for 2-3 days.
- Adjust the watering regime of the plant, adding water only after the topsoil has dried.
Sudden changes in temperature
Scheffler does not tolerate heat and cold in a room. If the falling of the leaves of the flower was preceded by its long stay in a hot or cold room, then the cause of the problem lies in the wrong temperature regime. Scheffler reacts negatively to sudden temperature changes.
Actions to save the plant should begin immediately after the first signs of green mass discharge have been noticed. If you leave this problem unattended, then after the leaves the trunk of the flower will begin to dry. In this case, the sheffler will not be able to save.
To fix the problem, you need to do the following:
- Carefully trim all dry leaves and branches.
- Cauterize the places of cuts with powdered activated carbon.
- Dig a sheffler out of the old pot with an earthen lump and transplant into new soil.
- Put the flower in a warm room with a temperature of +17 ... + 22 ° С. Avoid temperature changes.
Scheffler needs fresh air, so in the room with the plant you need to carry out regular ventilation. But if at the same time the flower will stand on a draft - falling leaves can not be avoided. A day after the constant location of the shefflers at the intersection of air flows, the tips of the leaves will begin to dry.
Did you know? In the wild, a sheffler can grow up to 4 m in height and reach a width of 1.5 m.
To prevent falling of the foliage of a flower, you need to carry out such actions:
- Trim all yellowed leaves.
- Remove the shefflera pot from the draft.
- In the warm season, cover the flower with a dense fabric during ventilation.
- Move the plant to another room during ventilation, if the air temperature in the street is much lower than in the room.
Dry indoor air
Sometimes the cause of falling leaves of the plant is too dry indoor air. If a sheffler is grown in a stuffy room with a low level of moisture and dust is collected on its leaves, then they can begin to turn yellow and fall off.
To help the plant and stop the fall of its foliage, you need to maintain a humidity level above average in the room.
This can be achieved using the following actions:
- Spray the leaves of the flower daily with water and periodically wipe them from dust with a damp sponge.
- Put a pot with a plant near the aquarium or on a tray with wet expanded clay.
- Use automatic humidifiers.
It will also be useful for you to find out why the shefflers blacken and fall off the leaves.
Excess Mineral Fertilizer
For normal growth, a sheffler needs regular top dressing, but an excess of mineral fertilizers can lead to burns of the flower roots. As a result, the leaves of the plant turn yellow and fall, and if measures are not taken in time, then root burns can lead to the death of shefflers.
To save a flower, you need:
- Remove the plant from the pot and remove damaged parts of the roots.
- The places of cuts should be treated with crushed activated carbon.
- Transplant the plant into new soil.
- Fertilize no more than 2 times a month and only in the spring-summer period.
If a perfect microclimate is created in the room, but the Scheffler still drops leaves, then the reason may be too heavy soil.
Important! Scheffler grows well in weakly acidic, loose soil, which passes air well.
To stop the falling of the foliage of the flower, caused by too dense soil in the pot, the plant needs to be transplanted into a looser and lighter substrate.
For shefflers suitable:
- ready-made shop primer for decorative flowers and palm trees;
- a mixture of humus, peat, coarse sand, turf and leafy soil (all ingredients must be taken in equal quantities).
In addition to improper care, pests can become the cause of leaf fall. Their appearance can be easily noticed by certain signs. Let us consider in more detail the causes that cause the appearance of insects, and methods of dealing with them.
Typical representatives of Scheffler pests are thrips. These insects have an elongated body and very small sizes (about 1 mm), so it’s difficult to immediately notice them on the sheffler. Thrips feed on the juice of leaves and stems; small brown touches or spots on the surface of the plant indicate their appearance.
When the first signs of thrips damage appear, you need to act quickly to prevent the mass spread of pests:
- Isolate the pest infected with the sheffler from other indoor plants.
- Wash the leaves of the flower with a concentrated aqueous solution of laundry soap.
- Spray the shuffler with an insecticide solution prepared according to the instructions on the package.
- Adjust the temperature regime (not more than +25 ° С) and increase the humidity level in the room.
This pest infects the stem and leaves of the sheffler, sucks nutritious juices out of them. The first sign of the appearance of a scale insect is sticky dew on the surface of the flower. The insects themselves are located on the lower surface of the leaf; upon careful examination, small brown plaques up to 5 mm in diameter can be found there.
Important! If the scabbard is not timely eliminated, the Scheffler may lose all leaves and die.
The causes of the pest on the sheffler are low humidity and lack of lighting. For prevention, the plant must be kept in a well-lit place and prevent air drying.
The fight against scabies is carried out with the help of such actions:
- Isolation of a diseased plant so that pests do not move to other indoor flowers.
- Processing shefflers with an alcohol solution - this allows you to remove sticky dew and pests from it.
- Spraying with an insecticide ("Actellik", "Arrivo").
- Increasing air humidity and bright ambient lighting in a room with a flower.
The size of this insect does not exceed 0.6 mm, so it is almost impossible to see it on the sheffler with the naked eye. The spider mite belongs to arachnid pests, it lives on the lower surface of the leaves and feeds on their juice.
With severe damage to the plant, mites accumulate at the ends of the leaves, causing them to yellow and fall, therefore, as a preventive measure, regular ventilation and humidification of the air in the room with the flower should be carried out.
The causes of the pest are low humidity and high air temperature in the room.
Did you know? According to popular beliefs, a sheffler has a positive effect on the material condition of a person, so you need to put it in the place of the room where jewelry and money are stored.
To get rid of insects, you need to carry out such actions:
- Isolate to the sheffler so that the pests do not move to other indoor plants.
- Treat the leaves of the flower with a cotton swab dipped in an aqueous solution of chamomile and liquid soap. This will help remove cobwebs and insects from the plant.
- Spray the flower with a solution of insecticides (“Tick-borne”, “Fitoverm”).
- Raise the humidity level in the room.
If the sheffler drops the leaves - this indicates improper care of the plant or the presence of insect pests. Knowing the possible causes of this problem, you can quickly fix it using the steps described above.