Why does not eucharis bloom and what should I do?
Eucharis (Amazonian lily) is not a frequent guest on our windowsills. Often even experienced plant growers have problems with the content of this flower: the plant came to us from hot and humid tropics, so special conditions will be required for its maintenance, including flowering. Next, we will consider the main causes of flowering problems in eucharis, and also describe how to effectively overcome them.
Why eucharis does not bloom at home
Problems with flowering in the eucharius occur quite often. This plant is adapted to the conditions of a humid and warm microclimate, so many plant growers are not able to create an optimal microclimate for it. Due to serious errors in leaving, eucharis is often sick at home, and in some cases it can die at all.
Incorrect landing tank
Despite the fact that most varieties of domestic flowers grow and develop well in medium and large flowerpots, such containers are not used for growing Amazonian lilies. Only in small pots, in which the root system fills more than 90% of the free space, are the brightest and largest buds observed. In addition, only in such conditions will the plant grow quickly, evenly and will not hurt.
Important! The ideal flowerpot for eucharis should be cylindrical, 1 to 2 cm wider than the rhizome. Only in such conditions will the flower give many new children, thanks to which the best conditions for long and long flowering are created.
This is due to the fact that in large-volume vessels, the flower focuses all its forces on the growth of the bulb, so often such specimens completely dispense with flowering. However, if you plant a plant in an excessively small flowerpot, its root system can rot, which will also adversely affect its development.
At home, exotic eucharis is rarely transplanted - this procedure negatively affects the growth of the plant and can cause a long recovery period. This is due not only to delicate shoots, but also to roots that are extremely susceptible to mechanical damage, which often die during the procedure. This almost always affects the life of eucharis, which is manifested not only by inhibition of growth, but also by the lack of flowering.
This plant is especially demanding for temperature conditions. Often, neglecting the temperature affects the size of the flower. If this caused the disease of eucharis, it may completely lose its ability to bloom, until the next season. Therefore, in the summer, the optimum temperature for the flower is +18 ... + 22 ° C, and in winter - not lower than + 13 ° C. Everything that goes beyond these indicators will adversely affect his life.
Read also about how to plant indoor flowers in a pot.
Although this decorative look is not demanding on humidity, with excessively dry air, especially in the summer, its foliage and shoots often fade. Often this becomes one of the main reasons for the lack of flowering, since in this case the plant will spend all its strength not on the formation of flowers, but on protecting itself from wilting.
Incorrect watering and fertilizing
For optimal functioning of the metabolism, eucharis requires a moderate regime of soil and air humidity - neglect of this rule often inhibits flower growth. Improper watering is observed if the soil is moistened abundantly and unevenly. As a result, the plant will suffer from an excess of water, and then from drought. Moisture should be applied to the flowerpot moderately, in small portions, so that the substrate is evenly moistened.
Did you know? According to Feng Shui, eucharis is one of the few plants that can fill the house with positive energy and eliminate the effects of negative effects on humans.
Also, special attention should be paid to watering during winter dormancy. At this time, the multiplicity of the procedure is gradually halved. This is an important requirement for this species, the dormant period must necessarily take place in semi-dry soil, otherwise it will not be able to enter this phase. Often, the lack of flowering can be the result of untimely or excessively intense dressing.
Important! Nitrogen fertilizers are forbidden for spring feeding of eucharis - they cause an active increase in green mass, which always inhibits flowering.
Lack of rest period
The stage of rest is one of the most important conditions for optimal life activity of eucharis. It often comes in winter or late autumn. Under natural conditions, unfavorable conditions for plant growth and vital activity are observed during this period, including a seasonal decrease in temperature, to overcome which this phase is needed. At this time, the need for eucharis in water and nutrients decreases significantly, and the basic physiological processes are also inhibited.
What to do and how to make eucharis bloom?
The first thing to do if your indoor eucharis does not bloom is to analyze its living conditions. If they differ from the requirements described above, it is necessary to bring them to the relevant standards. However, often the plant refuses to bloom for no reason: in this case, experienced plant growers are advised to stimulate it.
Learn how to make hippeastrum bloom.
The procedure consists in applying a variety of measures aimed at activating the metabolism of the plant. Most often, the artificial wintering conditions create the flower for this, thanks to which, after a month, you can observe the flowering of elegant Amazonian lilies.
- Transfer the plant to a well-shaded or dark room with a temperature of no higher than + 15 ° C.
- Halve the watering of the pot. Water the soil only if it has dried more than 2/3 of the volume.
- Completely refuse top dressing and moisturizing foliage.
Video: how to make eucharis bloom
To avoid flowering problems with Amazonian lilies, we recommend that you follow these guidelines:
- the plant should be kept in an optimal microclimate;
- so that eucharis gives large and healthy flowers, it must be fed with potassium-phosphate mixtures;
- 2-3 times per season, the leaves and stem of the flower should be treated with antifungal and antiparasitic agents;
- adult plants need to be rejuvenated, otherwise over time they will lose the ability to give flowers;
- in order to avoid small flowers, large and ineffective shoots must be removed on the eucharis;
- during the cultivation of the plant, it is necessary to strictly monitor the temperature and humidity indicators at least 2 times a week.
Did you know? Indoor plants first began to grow in ancient China about 5 thousand years ago. It is believed that the pioneers in this lesson were ancient healers who grow many valuable medicinal plants in their homes.
Useful Growing Tips
To get healthy and active eucharis, the following tips should be considered when growing it:
- If you want to get abundant flowering of young eucharis from the bulb within a few months after planting in a pot, at least 2-3 bulbs should be planted at the same time - this will create artificial conditions of crowding, which have a beneficial effect on flowering.
- After the plant fades, flower stalks are necessarily removed on it - this helps it to enter the calm phase more comfortably.
- If you plan to get several blossoms of Amazonian lilies in a year, be sure to withstand at least 1.5–2 months of rest between each phase of intensive vegetation.
- They stimulate flowering no more than 3 times per year, otherwise the Amazonian lily may completely lose its ability to bloom.
- To control the temperature and humidity, it is necessary to acquire the appropriate devices - without this, maximum aesthetics from the flower will not be easy to achieve.
- The plant is transplanted only by transshipment - other methods are extremely undesirable, as they often lead to damage to the delicate root system.