Why do dracaena leaves turn yellow at home: the main reasons for doing this
Dracaena or "tree of happiness" is a fairly popular plant among gardeners. This is due to a large selection of varieties that will allow you to create bright compositions, in addition, it goes well with other indoor plants and at the same time the flowerpot can grow even in not the most optimal conditions. However, sometimes there are some problems. Consider the reasons why leaves may turn yellow on a palm tree.
Basic Dracaena Care
For the full growth of dracaena, you need to know in what conditions it is more comfortable for her to grow:
- Despite the fact that it is a subtropical plant, the optimum temperature level in summer should not exceed + 25 ° С, and in winter not fall below + 14 ° С.
- In hot weather, it is better to protect the plant from direct sunlight. In addition, it is better to beware of strong drafts and open windows.
- Watering in summer and winter is intense. In winter, this is done once a week, and in the summer - every 3 days.
- With a low air humidity indicator, it is recommended to process the flower from the spray gun every other day.
- The ideal place for dracaena is partial shade.
- A flower is replanted only if necessary, when there is little room for it in the old pot.
- You need to fertilize the soil once a month, ready-made liquid fertilizers suitable for this can be found in any store.
Why do dracaena turn yellow leaves?
After familiarizing yourself with the main rules for caring for a flower, you need to know why its leaves can begin to turn yellow and fall.
Did you know? The word " dracaena " in translation means " female dragon . "
Despite the fact that dracaena comes from Africa, it does not tolerate dry air. The first reason for the color change of the leaves is the location of the heater near the pot. In addition, low temperatures are poorly reflected in the condition of the plant. Humidity in the room should be at a sufficient level, lack of moisture negatively affects the appearance of the plant. However, the presence of moisture in the sinuses of plants also leads to yellowing of the leaves.
The main reason for yellowing of the leaves is their natural qualities. Life expectancy, regardless of care, is approximately 2 years. After this period, they begin to change color and may fall. In this case, the process of decay of the leaves begins to occur from the top of the flower.
Important! When the air in the room is dry, it is recommended to bathe the plant under a warm shower. In order not to erode the earth in the pot, you need to put on a bag.
Incorrect fertilizer and watering
During growth, the flower needs nitrogen. The lack of this and other elements leads to negative consequences. In order to avoid these troubles, it is recommended to feed the plant with specially formulated formulations for them. The greatest amount will be needed from April to August, since it is at this time that dracaena is actively growing. An excess or lack of moisture also negatively affects the condition of the plant. The land between the irrigations must have time to dry out, as the roots rot from the excess and as a result the yellowing and drying of the plant.
Wrong location choice
Despite the fact that dracaena loves light, it is better to protect the plant from direct sunlight, as in this case it may cause burns, as a result of which the leaves can begin to deteriorate and dry. Problems can also start along with heat and poor lighting.
Did you know? Dracaena resin is used for the manufacture of varnishes for various metals, and paints for fabrics. In addition, hair dyes, raw materials for alcohol are made from it.
Pests and diseases
Quite often, various pests attack the indoor palm. As a result, the flower begins to hurt and, as a consequence, the leaves turn yellow and fall off. You can get rid of the problem by treating it with a soap solution or a special drug that is designed to combat one or another parasite. In addition to pests, dracaena can be susceptible to disease. The reasons most often is the physiology of the plant, but sometimes the disease is directly related to infection.
The appearance of yellowness of leaves can occur as a result of:
- rapid increase in humidity;
- waterlogging of the soil for a long time;
- lack of useful components in the earth;
- use of soil with a large amount of alkali.
Why do dracaena leaves turn yellow after transplantation?
The best option for full development is a transplant every 3 years. If this procedure is carried out incorrectly, the flower may die, in addition, improperly selected soil or damage to the roots can lead to yellowing of the tips of the foliage. However, even with the right actions for 2 weeks, adaptation to new conditions with possible negative consequences occurs. To help, it is recommended to cultivate the earth with colloidal iron.
Important! If the dracaena has not been transplanted for more than 4 years, the leaves will turn yellow, as salts accumulate in the ground over time, which are a barrier to the penetration of beneficial substances.
What to do and how to save the plant?
In order for dracaena to develop fully, you need to know some tips of professionals, compliance with which will help to avoid some problems:
- Provide the flower with moderate temperature conditions, in the summer +20 ... + 25 ° С, and in the winter + 15 ° С. In summer, you can take it outside, the main thing is that there are no drafts, since this will negatively affect its condition.
- It is better to place a palm tree on the east or west window, since they need the sun, but at the same time they are afraid of direct sunlight.
- Dracaena needs frequent and plentiful watering. In this case, it is important that the earth is moist, not flooded. In hot weather, it is recommended to moisten the soil daily, and in winter - reduce the intensity to 1 time per week.
- It is important to spray plants and wipe their leaves from dust. You need to do this regularly so that dust does not collect on them, which is a strong allergen for many people.
- Fertilize in the soil 2 times a month. You can use any complex fertilizer for this.
To help the plant and minimize the risk of yellow leaves, the following actions are recommended:
- for new plants, monthly quarantine is introduced;
- water and fertilize according to the rules;
- monitor the temperature and avoid drafts;
- the place to install the pot must be selected so that there is a normal amount of light;
- pots should be placed freely, without crowding;
- it is recommended to sterilize them before using soil or pots;
- regularly remove dust from leaves and other authorized water procedures;
- process the flower with 0.1% Fundazole solution;
- “Fitosporin-M” is added to water for irrigation.
Find out why dracaena leaves dry and what to do.
As you can see, the dracaena, despite its unpretentiousness in care, has some rules that should be observed so that the plant will please you with its beauty for a long time.