Why the Decembrist will wither and how to save him
The Decembrist (Schlumbergera, Rozhdestvennik, Zygocactus) is a fairly popular plant. However, sometimes you can’t wait for the appearance of flowers. Consider what could be the cause, and how to deal with it.
The basic rules for growing Decembrist
Decembrist refers to those plants in which buds bloom in winter. In order for the plant to grow well and bloom in due time, it is necessary to observe some growing rules. The location is chosen bright, but without direct sunlight. The temperature in the summer should be within + 18 ... + 20 ° С, and in the winter - + 13 ... + 15 ° С. It is important not to forget about the high level of humidity.
Did you know? According to recent studies by German scientists, a small degree of toxicity of zygocactus has been established. Based on this, people suffering from asthma and other diseases of the upper respiratory tract are not recommended to plant such plants in their homes.
Why the Decembrist will wither: reasons, and what to do
Consider what could cause the Decembrist to fade, as well as what to do in this case.
This is one of the main reasons that lead to the fact that the leaves are wrinkled and wilted. Most often, such consequences occur when the plant is damaged by pitium (the so-called variety of root rot) and late blight. As a result, there is a loss of connection between the roots and the stem. And even though the soil is moistened, the leaves do not receive the necessary amount of moisture and nutrients. The Decembrist often affects a spider mite.
In addition to infections, sluggish leaves may appear when the content of the Decembrist is incorrect. These include burning sun rays, inappropriate temperature and abundant watering. In this case, the place where the pot with the plant is located is shaded, the temperature regime is optimized to an indicator of + 18 ... + 22 ° C and the amount of water is reduced during irrigation.
Important! The stamp form (round, with a thin stalk) is an original solution in the process of forming the crown of a plant. It can be brought to life by purchasing a ready-made grafted copy or by mastering the techniques for vaccinating cacti. The stock can be Pereskia aculeate or Selenicereus.
Root system diseases
Sometimes root rotting is not due to infections, but for other reasons. Most often, this is to blame for waterlogging at low temperatures. Under such conditions, soil acidification occurs and, as a result, there is a lack of oxygen at the roots and their decay. Check it out is simple enough. Watch the flower. If it sways, and it can be easily pulled out of the ground, then there are no living roots as such.
How to prevent a problem
To prevent such problems, it is recommended from time to time prevention.
- monitor the watering regime;
- protect the flower from extreme heat;
- transplant on time;
- inspect the plant at the time of the presence of any deviations from the norm.
Learn more about transplanting and watering the Decembrist at home.
Useful Growing and Care Tips
In order for Decembrist growth to bloom for many years, strict observance of the rules for caring for it is mandatory.
Here are some of them:
- For irrigation use only soft water. In hot time, spray the leaves.
- Fertilizers are applied no more than 2 times a month.
- In the warm season, the pot is placed on the balcony.
- In the fall, the number of waterings is gradually reduced, and the pot is transferred to a cool place.
- The signal for irrigation is the apparent drying of the topsoil.
- In the form of top dressing, cactus fertilizers are used, which can be bought in a specialized store.
- For the formation of a beautiful crown, regular pruning is necessary with the removal of old and dried branches.
- Between flowering plants need to create conditions for recovery. It should be a place with light partial shade and quite warm.
- Every few years, without fail, the plant is transplanted.
Video: recommendations for growing Decembrist
The reasons that the leaves of the Decembrist become soft are several. However, having studied them in more detail, they can be prevented and the plant preserved.