Why can't a watermelon be sweet?
When growing gourds, you need to follow simple recommendations. The sugar content of the fruit depends on how proper the care is. In the article, we will consider why a watermelon may not be sweet.
The chemical composition of watermelon
Fruit vegetables have a rich composition of vitamins, so watermelon is extremely useful.
- Group B (B1, B2, B6, B9);
Why watermelon is not sweet: the main reasons
Sugar does not accumulate in the fruits of melons for a number of reasons. The main one is the poor photosynthesis process, and the others include the low temperature of fruit ripening and stress factors.
Important! If the temperature drops below + 15 ° C, gourds stop growing. For this reason, it is better to grow watermelons in a greenhouse.
You can grow sweet watermelons, if you take into account the following characteristics and nuances:
- Lighting. In the gloomy summer, the process of photosynthesis is poor, so the sugar does not accumulate in the fruits - they will be tasteless. Conversely, when the summer is sunny, and the plant was planted in a darkened area, they will not be sweet either.
- Watering. It is not worth watering often - as a result, the fruits will not accumulate sugar. Starting from the second half of summer, plants should be watered 1 time with a break of 14 days.
- Temperature. Gourds prefer heat. Not everyone knows how to grow sweet fruits: in order for watermelons to become such, in the summer they must grow at a constant temperature of +35 ... + 45 ° C.
- Wind. The plant does not tolerate stress. With the constant influence of the wind, the process of its growth is inhibited, and mechanical damage can also appear. It is advisable to grow fruit vegetables in wind-protected areas. If this is not possible, then you can use the option of sowing backstage (strip of winter wheat).
- Fertilizer. The procedure helps to increase sugar in the fruit. Minerals can be used as top dressing. It is better to buy complex fertilizers with zinc, iron, manganese and boron.
- Dosing The described plant is not capable of ripening: the fruits cannot mature in warehouses or storages. For full ripening, they need to be grown in gardens.
- Varieties. If this year the summer is rainy, not sunny, then more small berries ripen. They will be able to accumulate more sugar than larger melons.
The benefits and harms of such watermelons
Due to the rich set of chemical components in the composition, watermelon is considered one of the most useful berries. Pumpkin culture is useful for stimulating and regulating metabolism, for removing excess cholesterol.
Did you know? 5, 000 years ago, watermelon pulp was bitter and pale green.
The main feature of the watermelon is to cleanse the body: it removes toxic substances, moisture and fats.
- If we consider the ratio of the benefits and harms of the fruit of the plant, then there are not so many bad qualities in its fruits:
- When eating pulp beyond measure, diarrhea, flatulence may appear.
- Fruit crops contain a lot of lycopene. In combination with alcohol, it leads to an excessive oxidative process and the formation of inflammation of the liver.
- Potassium has a beneficial effect on the heart, however, with an excess, it can help reduce the pulse rate and arrhythmia.
How to choose a watermelon?
Before buying the fruit of the described plant, you need to know when it is ripening. Fruit vegetables should be purchased no earlier than mid-August, and better - at the end of summer and all of September. All gourds ripened earlier than this time can be dangerous in the form of nitrates.
Important! Bakhcha loves the sandy loamy lands warmed by the sun and protected from the wind. Waterlogged and heavy soils with a high level of groundwater are categorically not suitable.
Considering the following factors will help you choose the right watermelon:
- The size. Do not buy gourds of large sizes - now giant sizes indicate fertilizing with nitrates. These berries are tasteless. Ripe gourds without nitrates weigh from 5 to 7 kg.
- Bisexual berry. When choosing, focus on the sexual indicator of melons. In “boys” the opposite side of the tail is convex, while in “girls” it is flat and there is a wide circle on it. “Girls” have less seeds and more sugar.
- Tail. The presence of a tail means the ripeness of the berry. A yellow dry tail indicates full ripening of the fetus, and green indicates immaturity.
- Knock ripeness test. When tapped, the fruit makes a booming sound. If you squeeze it slightly above and below, you can hear a crackle - this means that the melon crop is ripe.
- The presence of a cut. Merchants check the watermelon for maturity by carving a square piece. Such melons are not worth buying: they instantly draw in dirt, microorganisms, and dust.
- Color. The fruit should have a pink color. Red color will indicate a large number of nitrates.
It is not difficult to grow gourds, the main thing is to know the features of care in order to grow their fruits sweet.