Why are cucumbers soft during growth and after salting?
Often gardeners are faced with such a problem as soft cucumbers. Another situation is possible when the collected and prepared product by conservation is soft when consumed. These two problems are closely related, since if the problems with the greenhouse started back in the garden and were not found during conservation, the consequences become noticeable after salting. How to find a problem in a timely manner and solve it, so that later it tastes delicious conservation? About it further.
Why cucumbers grow soft: the main reasons
The reasons for the "softening" of the fetus on the bush can be many. They can interfere with the normal development of the fetus as a disease, and non-compliance with agricultural cultivation techniques.
Important! It is not recommended to grow cucumbers and tomatoes in the same greenhouse, as these crops have different microclimate requirements.
In the greenhouse
The most common causes of soft greenhouses growing in greenhouse conditions:
- Warm and moist soil . This allows pathogenic bacteria to multiply actively. Most often, the process of decay begins with the root, then the stem and at the end of the fruit.
- Thickness of beds . It also provokes the development of bacteria, and the close location of the bushes accelerates the process of their spread. As a result, if greens began to rot in one place, then the rot would quickly hit the entire garden.
- Lack of moisture . With insufficient watering, the plant itself begins to wither first, then its fruits gradually shrink. Low humidity can make the situation worse.
- Fungal diseases . Spores are easily brought into the greenhouse with the wind, and a humid microclimate will allow them to take root more quickly. Because of some diseases, the fruits deteriorate from the inside (gray rot), because of others, the bush first suffers, and after that the young ovary (white rot, fusarium). Some immediately affect cucumbers from the outside, appearing as spots (brown spotting).
In the open ground
Cucumbers soften in the open ground mainly for the same reasons as in the greenhouse:
- Wrong watering . Watering with cold water contributes to the development of various diseases and impaired growth of the bush and fruits. Excessive or insufficient watering causes the cucumbers to grow empty inside.
- Thickness of beds . Everything, as in the case of greenhouse crops.
- Sudden temperature changes . Large jumps between daytime and nighttime temperatures provoke abnormal fetal formation. It may turn out to be empty or twisted .
- Heat and direct sunlight . The plant loves light, but the scorching sun burns out its foliage and leads to withering.
- Lack of nutrients . The lack of trace elements can cause the development of diseases and deformation of cucumbers.
- An overabundance of some elements in the soil . Saturation of the soil with nitrogen provokes active growth of the bush and if its growth is not controlled, it will begin to cast an additional shadow on its own fruits, which makes the lower ovary small and soft.
- Fungal diseases . Similarly with greenhouse cucumbers.
Did you know? Cucumber juice can be used instead of oil to lubricate door hinges.
What to do and how to fix the problem
First you need to try to determine the cause of the problem, and then act:
- If the reason is the lack of nutrition, due to poverty of the soil, then urgently need to make peat, humus.
- Lack of mineral fertilizers and an excess of nitrogen - the introduction of urea, manure.
- Incorrect watering - review the schedule of irrigation procedures taking into account weather conditions. In the heat, water twice a day and plentifully, in the rain it is better to refrain from watering. Use only warm water and drip irrigation technology so that moisture does not get on the greenery and foliage.
- Fungal infection - disinfect the greenhouse, soil, garden tools and other auxiliary devices. The dead plant is removed completely, the affected areas are removed. In the greenhouse, the temperature is maintained above + 18 ° C and the room is regularly ventilated.
- Timely harvesting in any situation . Cucumbers plucked in time do not have time to overripe and begin to draw moisture from their own resources. Because of this, they are often made empty inside.
Preventive measures to avoid softening of cucumbers on the bush:
- Make sure that the temperature in the greenhouse does not drop below + 18 ° C, especially during flowering and the formation of fruits.
- Regularly ventilate the greenhouse.
- Timely loosen the soil around the bushes.
- Inspect plants for disease. Remove diseased parts of the bush immediately.
- Choose sustainable cultivars and periodically change them.
- Observe crop rotation.
- Replace the topsoil before sowing in the new season. This will avoid a number of diseases.
- Follow the landing pattern. Between the bushes you need to leave at least 15 cm.
Tips for growing and storing cucumbers
Rules for growing, storing cucumbers:
- Late night irrigation with warm water drip.
- Regular application of organic and mineral fertilizers.
- The cultivation of resistant crops and their timely treatment against diseases.
- Temperature and light control, especially in greenhouses.
- Monitoring the soil and air humidity in greenhouses.
- Timely harvesting.
- Fresh cucumbers are stored unwashed in a cool place. It can be a basement, a cellar, a balcony, a vegetable drawer of the refrigerator.
- The use of quality material in the construction of greenhouses.
- Installation of a large capacity with water near cucumber beds to make it easier to water, and the water had time to warm up.
Why do cucumbers become soft when pickled in a jar?
Before starting the process of preserving cucumbers, they must be carefully sorted. If the fruits, which began the process of decay, are missed, then even in a slightly salted form, they will become unusable. Of course, greens can get into the billet, which began to deteriorate from the inside and it is impossible to determine their condition by touch, then the pickles are most likely to be irretrievably damaged. This situation can only be prevented by harvesting cut fruit. Important! The easiest way to save canned cucumbers is to soak them in vinegar. But this will help only if the vegetable has slightly lost its elasticity. Also, the reasons that pickled, salted and cucumbers of simple salting in the jar became soft may be:
- Zelentsy is not sustained the appropriate time before conservation in cold water.
- A large amount of salt was used or it was finely ground, iodized.
- The fruits are sodden, not freshly picked.
- Pickled cucumbers were salad varieties.
- The brine was very hot.
- Preservation was not stored in a cold way. Storage in the apartment provokes fermentation processes.
- Water for marinade or brine was used soft or high in chlorine.
- In the jar did not put leaves of horseradish, cherries, currants, which maintain the elasticity of greens.
The reasons for the softness of cucumbers are many. It is extremely difficult to deal with everyone, therefore it is better to prevent them by observing the rules of agricultural technology. Then, in banks, cucumbers will spoil less often.