Why and how to water beets with salt
Some plant care methods may raise questions as to their appropriateness. For example, some gardeners use saline to irrigate beets in order to achieve a change in taste. This article describes the features of the use of saline solution for irrigation, the method of its preparation and the main purposes of use.
Why water the beets with salt?
Each plant for normal development requires additional nutrients that are introduced into the soil at different periods of growth. Beets are no exception and also require the use of top dressing.
The plant needs a large amount of sodium, especially growing on heavy dense soils. To make up for the shortage of this microelement, expensive mineral fertilizers are often purchased, used in the form of aqueous solutions for irrigation.
Important! Such top dressing has a positive effect only on beets, while other plants from salt can die.
To save a lot of money, gardeners came up with watering this root crop with saline. Therefore, we consider in more detail why beets need such top dressing and whether its use is effective.
Since salt is a direct source of sodium, such top dressing is an excellent alternative to expensive mineral fertilizers, and they also have a good effect.
In addition, watering with such a tool allows you to protect the stands from the attacks of rodents.
Basic watering rules
Watering with saline in open ground has a number of nuances that should be taken into account:
- Fertilizer is used only if necessary to increase the amount of sodium in the soil. To determine whether beets need salt, carefully monitor the condition of the tops: as soon as it begins to acquire a red tint - this is a sign to the use of sodium top dressing.
- It is necessary to use only correctly prepared solution and in the prescribed amount, since top dressing "by eye" can do harm.
- It is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of beet placement on the site and the proximity to other plants in order to choose the appropriate method of spraying and not harm them during processing.
- Watering should be carried out in protective clothing: despite the non-toxicity of the product, it can irritate the mucous membranes, which causes discomfort.
- Processing is best done after preliminary watering the plants with clean water so as not to burn the delicate leaves. Depending on the type of salt (extra, rock), its amount for the preparation of the solution may vary.
- Plants are watered on calm, dry days to maintain the effectiveness of top dressing.
- If it rains after watering, sodium top dressing should be repeated (only in case of tops being sprayed, when watering - not necessary)
Learn more about how to water beets in the open.
To obtain the maximum effect from processing, watering or spraying is best done in the evening, when the sun's rays are more gentle. The first treatment can be done when 6-7 leaves appear on the plant.
Did you know? Young beets, the diameter of which root crops does not exceed 5 cm, can be eaten along with tops - at this time it is very tender and tasty. Often this greens is used for vitamin salads.
How to prepare saline
The preparation process and the concentration of the solution depend on the method of use and the goals that are planned to be achieved with this treatment.
To prevent withering tops or protecting plants from pests, it is necessary to prepare a brine in the following proportion: add 1 tbsp. To 10 liters of water. a spoonful of salt. To protect against caterpillars and aphids, the product must be made more concentrated: 10 liters of water - 1 cup of salt.
To make root crops grow sweeter, plants, as in the first case, are watered with saline at the rate of 10 liters of water + 1 tbsp. a spoonful of salt.
Despite the minimum number of components for the preparation of a nutrient solution, it is important to properly prepare it:
- The amount of salt prescribed by the recipe should be added to room temperature water.
- Stir the liquid thoroughly until crystals are completely dissolved in water.
- Leave the solution for 10 minutes to infuse.
- After the specified time, the solution must be mixed again to disperse large crystals.
Important! It is very important to completely dissolve all the crystals in water to prevent them from falling on the leaves - this can severely damage the tops.
Technology for processing beets with salt
Features of processing beets vary depending on the purpose of such irrigation.
Therefore, we consider how to properly use top dressing in each case:
- If the treatment will be carried out to prevent premature withering of the tops, then the leaves of the plant should be sprayed with saline, especially carefully irrigating the back of the leaf plate.
- To protect beets from pests, tops are sprayed with a concentrated product, evenly distributing them throughout the tops. When spraying, it is necessary to protect with a film the plants that are located near the beets, since with a stream of air drops of the solution can fall onto other crops that do not tolerate such fertilizing.
- To add sweetness, beets need to be watered with a solution under the root. And in order not to injure the root crop with such a concentrated remedy, the soil of each plant is preliminarily watered with water.
To make feeding as effective as possible, it is recommended to follow these tips:
- Use regular rock salt, without the addition of iodine.
- In addition to salt top dressing, it is recommended to fertilize beets and other mineral additives.
- Alternate the application of mineral additives and salt top dressing, maintaining an interval between them of 2 weeks.
- Do not forget to water the soil with clean water to avoid overdrying, which will lead to poor absorption of nutrients.
- Every year, change the area for growing beets, so as not to spoil the composition of the soil.
- Next year, plant carrots in place of beets - they can neutralize the salt remaining in the soil.
Did you know? Beets are a very ancient vegetable. It is known that it was eaten as early as the II millennium BC. e., while only leaves were considered edible, and root crops began to eat only after cultivation of the plant.
Thus, regular salt top dressing for beets is very useful, so they are included in the top dressing schedule when there is a lack of sodium in the soil. To get the maximum effect from saline, you must adhere to the recommendations on the preparation of the product and its use.