What to do if spathiphyllum leaves turn black
When growing spathiphyllum, plant breeders often encounter the problem of darkening leaf plates in plants. The most common cause of this deviation is improper care. Read on how to sort out the symptoms and correct the situation.
The basic rules for growing spathiphyllum
Rules for the care of spathiphyllum:
- Location and lighting - equally well developed under abundant diffuse lighting and slight shading. It grows best on the western and eastern windowsills.
- Temperature condition - +16 ... + 25 ° С.
- Humidity - 80% in summer, 60% in winter.
- Watering is plentiful in the warm season, moderate in winter.
- Soil - peat, leaf-sod land, crushed moss sphagnum, sand, hydrogel in granules, sand. All components are mixed in the same ratio, with the exception of leaf-sod land. Its percentage in the substrate for spathiphyllum should reach up to 50% of the total mass.
- Fertilizers - 2 times a month during the growing season, 1 time per month in the winter. The plant develops well when alternating organics and mineral complexes for flowering representatives of the flora.
- Transplantation - for young plants is carried out annually by the transshipment method, for adults - every 2 years.
Read also about how to choose a soil for spathiphyllum.
Why leaves of spathiphyllum turn black: how to save a plant?
The main reasons explaining why the leaves of spathiphyllum darken are associated with improper care and are:
- violation of humidity;
- lack of trace elements;
- wrong location.
Excess or moisture deficit
Spathiphyllum is very demanding on humidity. With low soil moisture and the environment, the ends of the leaves fade and then dry. In this case, the solution to the problem is to remove dead foliage and resume proper watering. With increased soil moisture in combination with a low ambient temperature, the tips of the leaves become darker than the bulk, and signs of decay of plant tissue are clearly visible. In this case, it is more difficult to correct the situation, since the process of decay affects the root system.
Find out why spathiphyllum leaves turn yellow.
An urgent transplant is needed with a complete replacement of an earthen coma:
- Prepare a new pot of the same volume as the old.
- Disinfect the new container with Furatsilin solution - dissolve 1 tablet in 50 ml of boiling water.
- Remove the plant from the old tank, free the roots from the ground, rinsing under running water.
- Remove rotten areas with a sharp scalpel disinfected with alcohol.
- Immerse the roots for 10 minutes in the “Fundazole” solution (5 g of the substance per 250 ml of water).
- hours, hold the plant on a paper towel to dry the roots.
- Powder the roots with charcoal.
- Place a claydite drainage at the bottom of the pot, and then a layer of new soil, the moisture content of which varies between 40–50%.
- Arrange the plant in a pot, aligning it with the root neck, and sprinkle the soil with voids.
Important! Plastic has the ability to retain moisture, so it is better to abandon the planting of spathiphyllum in containers made of this material. A more suitable option is a ceramic pot.
Lack of useful components in the ground
Understanding exactly which trace element does not reach the spathiphyllum will help assess its appearance:
- an apparently healthy plant with lush greenery does not form flowers - a lack of potassium and phosphorus or an excess of nitrogen;
- small pale foliage - complete depletion (it is better to transplant the plants into a new nutrient soil with the addition of superphosphate);
- growth retardation, wilted flowers - magnesium deficiency;
- leaves drying out along the edges with multiple black dots in the central part - an excess of fertilizers.
After assessing the condition of plants, you need to purchase the fertilizer that is most suitable in composition and contains the missing element in the maximum amount. If there is a surplus of fertilizers, an urgent transplant will be required with the replacement of an earthen coma, washing the roots and removing burnt sites.
Wrong place choice
When placing plants in the northern part of the house, fading of foliage is observed. The situation is quickly corrected by a change in location and additional lighting. When growing spathiphyllum, it is also worth considering that the plant does not enter the dormant phase in winter, so it is better to rearrange it for the cold period to the southern window or provide additional lighting with phytolamps.
Important! For the full development of leaf plates, the spathiphyllum needs a narrow beam of light that hits it from above, so pick a lamp with an angle of illumination of 60 - 80 °.
Poor irrigation water quality
Watering with poor-quality water can also cause the appearance of dark spots on the leaves. For irrigation, do not use non-settled water. Water can be softened not only by sedimentation, but also by freezing. The freezing rate of pure water differs from that for saline solution, so the bottom layer of water, which will remain when the bulk is frozen, needs to be drained.
What can I do to prevent spathiphyllum leaves from getting dark?
Preventive measures that prevent the change of leaf pigmentation:
- watering in the summer after drying of the top soil layer 3 cm in depth, in the winter - once every 7-10 days;
- spraying at air temperature + 25 ° С - 2 times a week, at air temperature + 16 ° С - it is better to refuse spraying in favor of wiping the leaves with a wet swab;
- during the summer schedule of feeding, organic matter should be applied at the root, and mineral complexes - by spraying;
- conducting preventive spraying with Fundazol once every 3 months;
- timely plant transplantation.
Did you know? In plants of the Aroid family, including spathiphyllum, respiration in plant cells is much faster than in other plants, which contributes to the release of heat into the surrounding atmosphere. For example, with flowering philodendron, the difference in temperature emitted by it and the environment can be up to +40 ° C.
Useful Care Tips
A few helpful recommendations for growing spathiphyllum:
- When choosing a place for a plant, avoid drafts.
- To increase the endurance of the flower, transfer it to a balcony or garden for a warm period.
- Do not change the location of the plant too often, especially during flowering.
- When choosing spathiphyllum in the store, give preference to hybrid varieties - they bloom all year round.
- If you have an aquarium with fish at home, you can periodically use the spent liquid to water the plant, having previously filtered it through gauze.
- When a whitish coating appears on the surface of the soil, add 3 drops of lemon juice or oxalic acid to the water for irrigation.