What is the difference between champignon and pale toadstool

Everyone at least once went to the forest for mushrooms. They are so different, but probably there are no people who would not like mushrooms. It is so nice when you bring home a whole basket of champignons. The main thing is not to confuse this wonderful mushroom with its poisonous double - a pale grebe.

The danger of pale toadstool

Pale toadstool is the most famous toxic mushroom in the world. It contains three complex toxins that are not afraid of heat treatment. This means that they are dangerous even when boiled, dried and fried. If you use only one mushroom, everything can end in death.

Did you know? Potent poisons were prepared from mushrooms and were actively used to eliminate opponents. Emperor Claudius was poisoned by his wife Agrippina, cooking soup from a pale toadstool.

Similarities and differences

It is very easy to confuse these types of mushrooms.

After all, they have a lot of similarities:

  • the color is the same - white;
  • both are sealed at the end of the leg;
  • there is a ring.

The differences are not so noticeable, but if you look closely, you can see them:

  • plates of pale grebe are white, and of champignon they are pink or brownish;
  • the leg of a pale toad is downward, as it were, included in a white, bag-like formation, and in champignon the end of the leg is denser;
  • the pale grebe always looks neat, as it is not eaten by pests. And champignon is almost always damaged by insects.

Did you know? Champignon throws up to 40 million spores. In this case, disputes are thrown to a distance of more than two meters, and they fly with the speed of the car: 90 km / h or 25 meters per second.

Season and place of growth

Champignons grow both in the forest and in the field. Forest mushroom lives in coniferous and mixed forests. Most often it can be found in forest plantations. You can collect them, starting in July and ending with the first frost. The update order is every two weeks.

Field champignon can be found both in the fields and in small parks. Its season begins in May and ends in late autumn. But the pale grebe loves humus soils. The growth season begins in August and ends in November.


Edible mushroom from 3 to 20 cm long. The hat is rounded, protruding, elastic to the touch. The skin is pressed by a finger. Colors from white to brown. It all depends on the age of the fruiting body. The leg is thin, sluggish and soft inside, sometimes 2 rings are present.

Due to the fact that they are so similar in structure, it is difficult to distinguish between young and mature mushrooms - during the growing up, the general qualities of appearance are preserved.

But in a poisonous double, the fruit body is like an egg covered in a film. The hat looks like a saucer with a small tuber at the top and sizes up to 15 cm. The leg looks like a hat, which is condensed at the root. The plates are white.


Another important difference is the smell. Pale grebe is almost odorless. And if you smell the edible mushroom, you can feel a light almond flavor.


In the context, the champignon quickly darkens, but the place on the cut of the poisonous double remains the same. If you break the leg of the edible fruit body, then it will be the same in content, and if you cut the leg of the poisonous, we will see a section of pulp that is very different in consistency from the rest of the fruit body.

Check out the technology for growing champignons in the greenhouse.

When cooking

If, having brought the mushrooms home, you still doubt what kind of mushroom it is, then you can distinguish them by cooking. To do this, put onion and a dubious mushroom in a saucepan, add water and heat to a boil. If the bow turns blue, then you can be sure - this is a poisonous double. If you boil the onion together with an edible mushroom, then the onion does not change its color.

Is it possible to collect mushrooms growing next to a pale toadstool

Edible and poisonous mushrooms often grow nearby. Some mushroom pickers, distinguishing good from bad, can confidently choose champignons in a group of different mushrooms. But this should never be done. The pale grebe throws everywhere its spores, which are also poisonous.

And this means that they could get on edible mushrooms. If so, then they become deadly to the body. Therefore, if you notice edible mushrooms next to poisonous ones, then you should not touch them either.

Important! If after eating mushrooms you notice signs of poisoning, then you urgently need to go to the hospital, since treatment is effective only for the first twenty four hours. The season of champignons is in full swing, and lovers of these mushrooms have already gone on a "silent hunt." The main thing in this process is not to forget about the dangers that the "double" is preparing. Learn to distinguish champignons and pale grebe.

Interesting Articles