Warts on the udder of a cow: causes and treatment
Reduced immunity in cattle leads to the appearance of papillomas on the udder. The growths on the skin appear as a result of pathological microorganisms entering microcracks. Neoplasms cause discomfort in the cow, which complicates the milking process, reduces the quality of products and leads to the development of complications.
Reasons for the appearance
Papillomatosis - multiple warty growths on the mucous membranes and dermis. Neoplasms are referred to as benign tumors. The main reasons why warts appear on the nipples of a cow:
- accession of a secondary infection in the presence of microcracks on the skin and mucous membranes;
- improper care;
- feeding calves to a sick cow;
- insect bites;
- natural insemination: bulls are carriers of papillomavirus, a sexually transmitted disease;
- eating poor-quality feed;
- decreased immunity;
- crowding of cattle in a small barn that does not comply with hygiene standards;
- not properly machined mechanical damage.
Once in the animal’s body, the virus is able to remain in an inactive stage for a long time. In this case, the presence of the disease does not manifest itself externally. Full immunity is able to keep pathological microorganisms in sleep mode. In the presence of favorable factors for the development (lowering of immunity), microorganisms begin to actively synthesize their own kind and leave their waste products in the tissues, as a result of which warts form.
Important! The intensive development of the disease occurs in animals with a history of chronic diseases, young cows up to 2 years old and calves. In mature individuals that are carriers, it often proceeds in a latent form.
Keratinized growths are a set of dead skin cells, waste products of microorganisms. They grow slowly. The maximum dimensions of 15 cm in diameter reach after 8 months. Neoplasms squeeze small vessels, which prevents normal blood circulation in the udder and leads to stagnation of lymph and milk. Gradually, lymph and dead plasma cells are transformed into pus.
What is the danger of warts?
Damage to wart growths is the cause of the spread of infection. In this case, only the upper keratinous layer of tissue is removed, and the bulk of the microorganisms remains inside and continues to multiply actively, which leads to serious suppuration and abscess. The penetration of a viral infection into the deeper layers of the skin provokes the occurrence of benign and malignant tumors.
With the formation of a growth in the inner part of the nipple, milk flow ceases. This leads to the development of mastitis and associated pathologies. The spread of infection on the mucous surfaces of the genital organs makes conception impossible.
Papilloma treatment methods
What to do with papillomas on the udder, the doctor decides after a thorough examination and taking tissues for analysis. The basis of treatment is an integrated approach, including surgical intervention and medications. The main task is not only to remove visible growths, but also to increase the protective functions of the body.
After calving, warts can disappear on their own. In such cases, additional treatment is not required, but this does not mean that the viral infection was not in sleep mode. Another decrease in immunity will lead to the resumption of virus activity and the appearance of new growths. To avoid this, carry out routine vaccinations. An indication for the operation is the presence of growths that impede milking and bring tangible discomfort to the animal.
Important! Only large warts are subject to removal. Surgical removal of small growths inevitably leads to relapse and the spread of infection.
Small warts are cauterized with acids:
At the initial stage, medications will help to remove papillomas. In treatment are used:
- antibacterial ointments with a drying effect;
- intramuscular injections of vitamins and immunomodulators.
To avoid trauma to the udder, change the pasture. Select areas with low grass cover. Before milking, thoroughly wash the udder with warm water, then with a 3% manganese solution and again with water.
With the disease, such ointments are effective:
- Sulfur-salicylic ointment allows you to quickly remove papillomas and disinfect the affected area. The main active ingredients of the drug are salicylic acid and sulfur. Designed for external use. The ointment is applied to the affected areas of the skin 4-5 times a day. The course of treatment is 5-7 days.
- Oxolinic ointment helps not only get rid of warts, but also increase the resistance of the skin of the infection, strengthen small vessels. The main active ingredient is the oxolin virucide. It is applied to the skin and mucous membranes affected by the virus 3-4 times a day. Penetrating into the deeper layers of the dermis, the active substance is embedded in the DNA chain of the virus and blocks its synthesis. Increasing the resistance of skin cells, promotes the release of active substances that destroy viral compounds, and accelerates the regeneration process. The course of use is 2-4 weeks, depending on the stage of the disease.
- Interferon ointment is an immunomodulatory drug. Once in the tissue, it increases the production of immunoglobulins necessary to fight the virus. Relieves swelling, eliminates dryness and irritation. The course of treatment is 1-2 weeks. The ointment is applied 4-5 times a day to the affected areas.
Novocainic blockade is used in advanced cases with a course of 3-5 days. Intramuscularly administered 0.5-1% solution of novocaine at the rate of 1 ml / kg live weight 1 time per day. More effective is the method of introducing a 0.5% solution under the base of the wart. The procedure is carried out for 3 consecutive days, then take a break of 2-3 days and repeat the course. A combination of novocaine injections with iodoforms is practiced.
People have bred cattle for centuries, and it was not always possible to treat a specialist. Healers knew how to remove warts using the power of plants. Folk remedies will help to quickly cure papillomatosis without surgical intervention. Hanging growths are tied with a hair from the tail of a cow.
Under the base of the wart, several nodules are tightly tightened and wait for it to fall away. During this time, external ointments of own manufacture are used, which have a drying effect and a disinfecting effect.
Means for external use
Ointments created on the basis of garlic juice act positively on the animal’s body. The composition of the plant extract includes volatile, substances with a powerful antibacterial effect. 100 ml of juice or grated pulp of garlic is mixed with honey and 100 ml of cabbage juice. The ointment is applied 3-4 times a day until the papillomas completely disappear. Garlic juice is added to drinking cows in a proportion of 50 ml of juice per 10 liters of water. Give such a drink every 3 days.
- medicinal chamomile - 50 g;
- elecampane - 30 g;
- St. John's wort - 50 g;
- coltsfoot - 40 g.
Collect 1 liter of boiling water and insist 2 hours. With concentrated broth make lotions. A section of a bandage folded in several layers is applied to the affected areas and fixed with a band-aid. Leave for 15-20 minutes. The procedure is carried out 3 times a day. The course of treatment lasts until the warts disappear completely.
Did you know? At the time of the destruction of the garlic clove, allicin is formed - a strong antibiotic of natural origin that destroys carcinogenic microorganisms. The therapeutic component is quickly destroyed by heat treatment, so products created on the basis of fresh garlic are more effective.
the creature is also added to cows for drinking: 500 ml of concentrated broth goes to 10 liters of water. Aloe ointments have a wound healing and regenerating effect. For medicinal purposes, a plant aged 3 years or older is suitable. The juice of 1 aloe leaf is mixed with garlic gruel from 2 cloves. Ointment is applied 3 times a day.
Conspiracy to treat
In ancient times, it was customary to treat papillomatosis with conspiracies. Bandaging the warts with cow hair was accompanied by the reading of special conspiracy words: “Disease and nausea, go to Fedot, to the red mountain, beyond the blue sea. Do not push the animal, do not drive to the graveyard. Go to the forests and swamps, there will be work for you. ” As soon as the warty body fell away, it was buried next to the needy, saying: “It has dried up, it has fallen, it has fallen to the ground. In a heavy straw, the disease will be buried, in a barn it will no longer be found. ”
Important! Rituals aimed at treating diseases are carried out in the waning moon phase. As the monthly sickle in the sky decreases, the disease goes away.
To prevent cows from getting sick, it is necessary to carry out preventive measures in time and observe basic rules for caring for animals. Prevention of papillomatosis is as follows:
- disinfection of animal housing every six months with a formalin solution;
- change of the upper layer of the litter as it gets wet;
- pasture selection with minimal risk of animal injuries;
- balanced diet;
- udder treatment before milking and after;
- enrichment of the diet with fortified elements in the winter;
- vaccination of animals.