The use of Bordeaux liquid in the cultivation of strawberries
Bordeaux liquid is one of the most famous tools that gardeners use for processing various crops. This mixture belongs to highly effective fungicides, therefore, it has found application among gardeners in the cultivation of strawberries for the treatment and prevention of fungal diseases. At the same time, in order to achieve the best result, it is important to observe the rules for using Bordeaux mixture, to process the bushes strictly in the recommended time, and also to know the useful and harmful properties of this product. More on all of this later in the article.
Benefit and possible harm
Bordeaux mortar is a mixture of water, copper sulfate and slaked lime. The ratio of these components varies depending on what concentration the finished liquid should have. The use of this tool for processing strawberries has its advantages and disadvantages.
Did you know? One of the unusual types of strawberries is the Pinberry variety - its berries are painted white and taste like pineapple.
- Ready Bordeaux liquid has such useful properties:
- copper sulfate - a very effective antiseptic that destroys a harmful fungus;
- lime cauterizes the focus of the disease on the sheet and prevents the spread of infection;
- the tool can be used to treat many diseases of strawberries - black and gray rot, anthracnose, septoria, spotting, powdery mildew, leaf rust;
- the pest insect will not be able to lay eggs on the processed strawberry bush, which will avoid the appearance of larvae;
- contains calcium ions that reduce the high level of soil acidity;
- does not penetrate the pulp of berries - the prepared solution remains only on the surface of the fruit, performing its protective function;
- the product is retained on the plant for up to 1 month and is not washed off by rain, providing long-term protection against diseases.
- Before using Bordeaux liquid for processing strawberries, it is necessary to take into account the harmful properties of this mixture:
- the agent adversely affects bees - in the first few hours after treatment, it is desirable to limit the access of these insects to the beds;
- the solution is toxic to humans and causes severe irritation of the mucous membranes, so strawberries must be treated with a respirator and rubber gloves;
- over time, the drug accumulates in the soil and can lead to premature fall of leaves and ovaries;
- if the dosage and rules of use are violated, the substance can cause a chemical burn of the leaves;
- causes serious food poisoning in a person - strawberries should not be eaten in the first 2 weeks after treatment.
Important! Bordeaux liquid cannot be used in combination with laundry soap and other chemicals - this can trigger a chemical reaction that will adversely affect plant leaves.
Spring is often accompanied by the appearance of fungal diseases on strawberries, but you need to process this culture with Bordeaux liquid several times a season, spraying the beds with a prepared liquid solution. In order to exclude the negative effect of this product on the bushes, the treatment must be carried out strictly on time:
- in spring, spraying is carried out in late March or early April until the buds open - this procedure is carried out to prevent fungal infections;
- if the bushes were affected by fungal diseases after the appearance of the first leaves, then the beds are irrigated before flowering or after it ;
- if a fungal disease occurs, then strawberries can be sprayed with this substance no later than 3 weeks before picking berries ;
- the last processing of plants falls in late autumn and is carried out after harvesting .
During the preparation of Bordeaux liquid, it is necessary to strictly observe the proportions of the components that are indicated in the instructions in order to protect the strawberries from leaf burns. Prepare the product immediately before use, wearing personal protective equipment (gloves, respirator, protective clothing).
Did you know? Strawberries are very beneficial for the body - 100 g of berries contain almost 98% of the daily dose of vitamin C.
A step-by-step algorithm for preparing a 1% solution is presented below:
- Pour a small amount of warm water into any non-metallic container. Dissolve copper sulfate in it (100 g).
- Add so much cold water to the mixture so that the total volume of liquid is 5 liters.
- Pour 1 liter of hot water into another container and dilute 100 g of slaked lime in it. Stir the mixture well so that it reaches the consistency of thick sour cream.
- Add so much water to the lime mixture so that the volume of the resulting solution is 5 liters. Mix well, and then strain the product through cheesecloth.
- Carefully pour copper sulfate solution into the lime mixture. It is recommended that you carefully stir the last with a wooden spatula.
- To check the acidity level of the resulting solution, it is necessary to lower a metal nail into it for 1-2 minutes. If a rusty coating appears on the metal surface, you need to add a little more lime mixture.
Video: Strawberry treatment with Bordeaux liquid
The basic rules for processing strawberries with Bordeaux liquid are listed below:
- When irrigating bushes, for every 10 m² of area, 1.5 liters of solution are consumed.
- Processing of bushes is carried out in clear and calm weather.
- This tool can not be used in high atmospheric humidity and in the heat - this will cause sunburn on the leaves.
- You can not spray strawberries with Bordeaux liquid during flowering - if the solution gets on inflorescences or buds, they will begin to crumble.
- During processing, you need to ensure that the mixture covers strawberry leaves well - this will provide the best protection against infection.
- In early spring, a 3% solution is used to irrigate plants, and 1% Bordeaux is prepared for subsequent treatments.
- Do not spray the solution near vegetables and fruits, which will be eaten over the next 2-3 weeks.
- In one season, it is allowed to carry out no more than 2-3 treatments of strawberries with Bordeaux liquid - with the correct preparation of the solution, the therapeutic effect lasts about 30 days.
Important! To prepare a 3% solution, you will need 300 g of copper sulfate and 400 g of hydrated lime per 10 l of water.
Even with all the recommendations for growing strawberries, plants can sometimes be affected by diseases. The fight against the problem becomes much more effective if you use Bordeaux fluid, taking into account the rules listed in this article. In this case, you can quickly eliminate the infection and prevent its reappearance on the beds.