Tea from cherry leaves: the benefits and harms, how to cook
Many people prefer to drink tea from the leaves of fruit trees instead of the usual black tea. Today, the article discusses a drink made from cherry leaves, its benefits, possible harm and proper preparation.
The chemical composition and characteristics of cherry leaves
Cherry leaves appear on trees a little later than color. This is a medium-sized plate up to 8-10 cm in length. The shape of the leaf is oval, the outer surface is smooth, streaked with veins with a pronounced central line. The color of the leaf is bright, dark green.
The foliage contains the following elements:
- vitamins - retinol (A), beta-carotene, group B (B1, B2, B6, B9), ascorbic acid (C), phylloquinone (K), nicotinamide PP;
- minerals - iodine, potassium, cobalt, silicon, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, copper, phosphorus;
- other substances - tannins, quercetin, coumarin, essential oils, volatile.
Did you know? The famous Japanese sakura, sung by poets and immortalized by artists, bears fruit inedible berries.
What is the drink good for?
The composition of cherry "greens" gives confidence in the benefits and therapeutic effects of the product on the body. The drink is useful for adults and children as a prevention of colds, as a means of increasing resistance to viruses in the off-season and during epidemics. With its help, it is possible to significantly alleviate the state of health and accelerate recovery in diseases of the respiratory system and nasopharynx.
Cherry tea with regular use copes with the accumulation of "bad" cholesterol, cleansing and strengthening blood vessels. The product improves blood circulation, increases hemoglobin level, saturates tissues and organs with oxygen . Thanks to this, the work of the heart muscle is normalized, the risk of blood clots and ischemia is reduced. Another useful property - hemostatic - will be appreciated by women during the cycle. In addition, tea will help reduce pain during this period.
The active ingredients in the foliage and the inherent diuretic effect of the drink perfectly removes toxins from the body, toxins, decay products of medicines, and also helps to remove sand . The anti-inflammatory property is effective in treating inflammation of the genitourinary system.
Antibacterial effect is used in the treatment of inflammation of the mucous membranes : internal organs and oral cavity. The drink destroys pathogenic bacteria, helps restore the integrity of the integument. Topically applied lotions in the treatment of cuts, open wounds, burns. We advise you to read about the features of the use of cherry jam. Tea is useful for pregnant women suffering from soft tissue edema. The rich vitamin and mineral composition will help restore the future mother the balance of the elements that are important for the health of her body and the development of the fetus.
A drink is recommended to maintain the appearance of the pregnant woman:
- strengthening hair, nails and teeth;
- reduction in the formation of age spots;
- normal functioning of the sebaceous glands.
How to brew tea from cherry leaves
Tea, so that it benefits, you need to be able to brew properly. Not without reason in many countries there are whole tea ceremonies, with unshakable rules.
In the kettle
The teapot must first be scalded with boiling water. Put the right amount of cherry "tea leaves" in the container and pour hot water. Insist in a dish wrapped in a special mitt or a thick towel for 5 minutes. Did you know? Americans love cherry pie so much that every year on February 20 they celebrate Cherry Pie Day, which has become a national holiday. Tea Recipe:
Fermented leaves (2 tbsp. L.) Placed in a brewing bowl, pour boiling water (0.5 l). Insist 5-8 minutes. When consumed, it can be sweetened, the drink will be more useful when using honey.
In a thermos
Dry, crushed leaves are placed in a thermos, pour boiling water (the amount of ingredients depends on the volume of the thermos). Allow to infuse for 10-15 minutes. It will be useful for you to learn how to distinguish cherries from cherries. Cold drink recipe:
For 0.5 l of boiling water take 10 dry chopped leaves and dried berries. The mixture should be infused for 20 minutes. Before use, add honey, drink in the morning and evening.
How often and how much to drink
You can drink fortified tea daily, but at the same time know the norm - 2-3 cups. If you abuse the drink, hypovitaminosis is possible (we will discuss other side effects below).
It is possible to enrich the taste and useful properties of the drink by adding the foliage of other fruit and berry plants:
- currant - useful for the stomach, strengthening immunity;
- raspberries - has antipyretic, anti-inflammatory properties, effective for iron deficiency;
- mint, lemon balm - normalize sleep, strengthen the nervous system, tone up and increase efficiency.
You can add herbs: chamomile, St. John's wort, but here it is better to consult a doctor.
Important! Medicinal plants have a powerful effect and can harm in the presence of any disease, so they need to be consumed in strictly dosed form.
When to collect and how to dry cherry leaves
Foliage collection is carried out while there is color, since it is during this period that young plates have the highest concentration of nutrients . Depending on the region, this is mid-end of May. The most useful are medium and small sized plates. The collection is carried out in dry weather, in ecologically clean areas. Cut off with a part of the petiole.
Then the material is sorted out, discarding damaged by insects or a sunburn. Dried either whole plates or chopped, in the fresh air, but not in direct sunlight. The raw materials must be regularly turned over so that the process runs evenly.
Preparation of the fermented product:
- The collected material is placed in plastic bags in a thin layer.
- Then put in the freezer for 3 hours.
- Thawed raw materials must be carefully rubbed in the palms of your hands. As a result of this process, foliage will secrete juice.
- Next, the material is placed in a glass container or enameled under oppression. For the fermentation process, dishes with raw materials, covered with a damp, clean cloth, are placed in a temperature range of + 23 ... + 26 ° С.
- Within 8-10 hours, the foliage is saturated with a floral-fruity aroma. The process is interrupted and the raw materials are sent for drying.
- Drying takes place in several stages to avoid the risk of burning material.
- Dried in the oven at a temperature of + 100 ° C.
- Dry products must be laid out in bags with ventilation holes. Thus, the material "reaches" about 3 days, and thanks to the holes it does not stop.
- Ready-made tea leaves for storage in a hermetically sealed glass container in a dark and dry place.
Contraindications and side effects
Given the rich and rich composition of cherries, the drink may be harmful in some conditions.
- It is strictly contraindicated to use cherry tea in such cases:
- exacerbation of a gastrointestinal ulcer;
- low blood pressure;
Important! Caution should be drunk tea for patients with diabetes mellitus, it can affect glucose levels.
- If you abuse the product, the possible manifestation of such negative consequences:
- stomach pains;
- loss of appetite;
Useful Tips for Making Tea
In order to make really healthy cherry tea, it’s important not to make mistakes when harvesting . Raw materials collected in the city or near industrial zones, instead of good, can be harmful to health. All deciduous trees absorb toxic substances: industrial waste, gas exhaust from cars. It is equally important to dry the material correctly: you must not wash it before drying, otherwise wash off a layer of beneficial microorganisms from the surface. In addition, washed leaves may begin to rot.
You need to brew tea with hot water, heated to a temperature of no higher than + 90 ° C. This will reveal aroma and taste as much as possible without damaging the composition. In addition to adding the foliage of other plants, as described above, you can add dried and frozen fruits and spices.
Cherry goes well with such additives:
- star anise;
- citrus peel;
- wild strawberries;
Cherry hot drink is a great alternative to black tea, especially during seasonal illnesses. The product with regular dosed use will bring benefits to the body, restore the vitamin-mineral balance.