Spathiphyllum does not bloom: causes and methods of solving the problem
Errors during planting and care often lead to problems when growing indoor plants. Many gardeners are upset when the spathiphyllum releases only leaves and does not bloom. Read about the causes of this problem and how to solve it in this review.
Features of care for spathiphyllum
Spathiphyllum is a popular houseplant. Many legends are associated with it and will be accepted, and the people call it “feminine happiness”, “flower-sail”. It is a warm and photophilous culture. She loves moisture, high humidity, does not tolerate drafts and sudden changes in temperature. Caring for her is simple.
Learn how to plant indoor flowers in a pot.
The main recommendations for growing a flower are collected in the table:
|Lighting||Nice, diffused, with shading from direct sunlight|
|Location||North, east window sills|
|Air temperature||In summer - + 23 ... + 25 ° С, in winter - not lower than + 15 ... + 18 ° С|
|Ventilation||Regular access to fresh air and draft protection required|
|Watering||In summer, it is plentiful (2-3 times a week), in winter, moderate, 1-2 times a week (as the upper soil layer dries)|
|Spraying||In summer, regular, 1-2 times a day|
|Top dressing||1 time per month - during the dormant period, 2 times per month - during the flowering phase|
|Transfer||Annually in spring, by transshipment, after 5 years - as needed|
|Pruning||During flowering, faded inflorescences are cut off; forming trimming does not require|
Why spathiphyllum does not bloom at home: reasons
Spathiphyllum is distinguished by beautiful large bright green leaves and an interesting form of milk inflorescences located on long peduncles with a snow-white petal. Long flowering - from April to September. However, not everyone can see how a plant blooms. If there are errors in the care of the plant, the flowers do not form. Listed below are the main reasons why spathiphyllum does not bloom.
Flowering may be absent if the flower is placed in the shade or partial shade, and it has little light. The accompanying signs, which will indicate that the plant does not have enough lighting, are stretching and chopping of foliage.
Important! The flower should not be grown in a house where small children, pets and allergies live - its organs contain toxic substances.
Moisture parameters for "female happiness" are very important. In a dry room, the flower will wither, ache, and you will not see the flower arrows. It is especially important to control humidity in hot summers.
Since spathiphyllum is a moisture-loving plant, it does not tolerate drying out of an earthen coma. The plant reacts poorly to stagnation of water. Therefore, watering should be taken seriously and watered properly.
Oversupply or deficiency of fertilizers
The flower needs to be fed during the growing season - from March to September. Lack of fertilizing will lead to the fact that the plant refuses to bloom. During dormancy, fertilizers are not applied. But if the plant does not stop growing, then it can be fed in the winter. Such recommendations must be followed, since uncontrolled fertilizer application also provokes a lack of flowering.
Did you know? The name of the flower comes from 2 words from the Greek language: “spatha” - “ veil ” and “phylum” - “ leaf ” . So it was called because of the interesting form of inflorescence, which is covered with one petal, like a coverlet.
Incorrect plant transplant
An improperly sized pot when transplanting affects flowering. If it is too small, the plant will completely stop growing, and it will be sorely lacking in nutrients for the development of buds. When selecting too large a capacity, roots will intensely develop; the leaves will become small, and the flowers will not appear at all. Also, flowering is affected by soil selection.
Important! Flowering may be absent due to infection by any disease, or pests attacked the plant. It is necessary to carefully examine the flower and treat it.
What to do and how to make spathiphyllum bloom
You can achieve the flowering of spathiphyllum with some effort.
- Here are some suggestions for a plant to bloom:
- Place the pot for 2 weeks in cool conditions with a temperature of +12 ° C, then bring it into heat and fertilize.
- Trim old parts. This will trigger the release of new inflorescences.
- Reduce the amount of nitrogen fertilizing and increase potassium-phosphorus.
- Make transplants in accordance with the recommendations, choosing the right soil and pot.
- Refresh the plant.
Video: how to make spathiphyllum bloom
To avoid problems with flowering, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Plant spathiphyllum in a small and shallow pot with drainage holes.
- Plant the plant in a substrate from a mixture of 2 parts of turf, 1 part of leaf, peat, humus soil, 1 part of sand. You can add charcoal and crumb from a brick. The soil should be acidic. Put drainage at the bottom of the pot.
- Place a container with a flower in a bright place (for example, near a window).
- Establish the recommended watering regimen and establish daily spraying.
- Fertilize with fertilizers every 2 weeks in the spring – autumn and, if growth continues, once a month in the winter.
- You must choose a full-fledged mineral fertilizer, which is sold in the store, or fertilizer for flowering crops. Dosage is calculated in accordance with the instructions indicated on the package. Also, spathiphyllum responds well to the alternation of organic and mineral nutrition.
- Every year, transplant a plant in a larger capacity tank.
- Promptly remove faded inflorescences.
- To take preventive measures against diseases and harmful insects.
Important! Plant pruning should be done by protecting the hands with gloves so that juice containing toxic substances does not get on the skin.
Useful Plant Care Tips
Despite the fact that the flower does not require much attention, it reaches maximum decorativeness if you create favorable conditions for it and provide quality care.
- Pot with spathiphyllum should not be placed next to batteries and radiators. This will negatively affect the decorativeness of the flower.
- When ventilating the room, the plant must be taken out to another room in order to avoid exposure to drafts.
- Watering and spraying the plant should be warm, settled, filtered rain or melt water.
- To increase humidity, it is necessary to install the pot on a pallet with wet expanded clay, pebbles, sand, making sure that it does not come into contact with water. You can also place a flower near the aquarium.
- To indoor culture did not freeze in winter, put a piece of foam under the pot.
- When a flower needs a pot with a diameter of 18-20 cm, annual transplants must be stopped. In the future, you can only update the top soil layer.
Did you know? Abundantly blooming spathiphyllum can retain its decorative appearance in cut form for up to 3 months.
So, the successful flowering of spathiphyllum depends on quality care and the selection of the right lighting. The plant should be regularly watered, sprayed, fed and transplanted.