Sansevieria: benefits and harms, signs and superstitions
Sansevieria, or mother-in-law's tongue, as it is popularly called, is a popular plant among lovers of home flowers. However, the attitude towards it is ambiguous, since this plant can both benefit and cause harm. Before starting a house sansevieria, you should learn about all its properties in more detail.
To understand what harmful and beneficial properties sansevieria has, it is necessary to turn to biochemistry. It is the chemical components that speak of its main characteristics.
Did you know? This name Sansevieria received in honor of the Italian aristocrat Raimondo de Sangro from the genus San Severo, who lived in the XVIII century. This man was fond of occultism, studied plants and used them in alchemy classes. Among them was sansevieria.
In the composition of the mother tongue, one can distinguish:
- organic acids;
- hemolytic sapogenin;
The flower has many useful properties. For this reason, mother-in-law's language is popular among traditional healers.
- Sansevieria can bring the following benefits:
- purification of air in the room from harmful compounds emitted by various household appliances;
- treatment of wounds, burns and inflammations on the skin and mucous membranes;
- normalization of blood pressure;
- treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, including constipation, intestinal pathologies;
- exposure as an antidepressant;
- beneficial effects for colds and SARS;
- normalization of the immune system;
- treatment of otitis media;
- treatment of diseases of the urinary system;
- excretion of parasites from the body;
- headache elimination.
Important! Before using sansevieria as a medicinal plant, a doctor’s consultation is mandatory.
Harm and signs of poisoning
Sansevieria can cause the main harm if its juice is taken orally. Saponins, which determine the benefits of a skinny tongue for external use, if they enter the gastrointestinal tract lead to poisoning.
- With intoxication, the following symptoms will be observed:
- discomfort in the throat;
- strong salivation.
So that the plant does not bring any harm, it is necessary to adhere to certain safety measures:
- All procedures related to flower care should be performed with rubber gloves. It is also advisable to use eye protection, such as glasses, which can be purchased at specialized stores.
- From remote areas of the flower you need to immediately get rid.
- Sansevieria needs to be kept away from animals, since if you accidentally eat any part of the flower, they also experience all the symptoms of intoxication.
- Placing sansevieria in children's rooms is extremely unsafe.
Omens and superstition
More than the actual useful and harmful properties of the mother tongue, people talk about superstitions associated with this plant. There are both good and bad omens.
So, among the most common superstitions, the following can be distinguished:
- in the house where the flowerpot with sansevieria is located, marital quarrels often occur;
- the plant helps to decide on the choice of a life path and build a career;
- if the mother tongue is in the student’s room, even the most complex sciences will be easily given to him;
- due to the powerful energy accumulation, it is undesirable to place the plant in bedrooms, especially in nurseries, where this energy can interfere with sound sleep.
Did you know? Sansevieria is called a mother-in-law language because of its long sheets, similar to the language, as well as because of survivability and unpretentiousness.
Sansevieria can both benefit and harm a person. It is important to be careful with this flower and resort to safety measures when growing it.