Russian horse breed of horses: description, characteristics and care
Russian riding horse is the most beautiful and graceful variety bred on the territory of Russia. We will talk about the nuances of care and maintenance of this breed in our article.
History of origin and homeland
At the end of the 13th century, the Russian Count Aleksey Orlov-Chesmensky decided to develop a variety of horses that could easily withstand the Russian climate and were suitable for military service. The horse was bred on the basis of many famous breeds: Thoroughbred English, Arab, Turkmen, Lippitsian and others. So the Oryol breed appeared.
During the First World War, the number of animals of the breed described decreased significantly, because they were used primarily in the army. Then the best representatives of this species were lost.
In 1980, the Starozhilovsky stud farm began work on the revival of the described breed. For this, many varieties of horses were crossed: Trotsky Oryol, Trakenensky, Thoroughbred and others. Breeding work ended in 1997. And in 1999, horses were included in the “State Register of Breeding Achievements”.
Horses have an aristocratic appearance. They have such distinctive features:
- athletic build;
- leadership in the technique of performing various gaits;
- the side of the horse's body resembles a square;
- characteristic shine of the coat, including mane and tail.
In the table below, we consider the external features of the horses under consideration.
|Height at the withers||163–165 cm|
|Torso length||About 180 cm|
|Chest circumference||Up to 180 cm|
|Suit||Voronoi (more than 50% of animals), karakova, bay|
|The ears||Medium size|
|Eyes||Expressively large, dark in color|
|Croup||Well-formed, medium-long, slightly flattened.|
|Tail||Long, thick and slightly wavy, with a characteristic sheen|
|Chest||Deep, sunken and strong|
|Legs||Long, even, strong, graceful, with pronounced joints|
|Hooves||Tall, with a strong horn plate.|
Previously, the Russian riding horse was used as draft force in the army. Today its application has changed due to technological progress. The horses of this breed are actively used in dressage, show jumping and eventing. Animals show excellent results in sports. They even took part in the Olympic Games in Spain and in South Korea. Also, this breed is often used in parades because of their stateness and beauty. The horse has no equal in the performance of all types of gait.
The horses of the described breed are flexible, they are obedient and intelligent. Horses are easily trained in new techniques and show very high results in competitions. They have a high level of energy, so novice riders better not to sit on them. The animals are kind and friendly - they easily make contact with people. Also, these horses are quite hardy. Important! These animals become attached to their master so quickly that they simply may not recognize the other. Also, horses cannot be shouted and punished strongly, as they will cease to obey the person.
Advantages and disadvantages
Horses of this breed are very popular in large farms. But before you start breeding them, you need to know what the pros and cons are inherent in these animals.
- Russian horse breed has the following advantages:
- horses are obedient and calm;
- animals quickly get used to the owner;
- horses are smart and therefore easily trained in various actions;
- they are very hardy.
- The disadvantages of the breed:
- horses are very demanding in nutrition, as an improper diet will negatively affect their athletic form and health;
- they need to organize proper care, which requires a lot of effort and time.
Breeding Russian horse breed horses
Next, we’ll talk about the conditions of keeping horses, the nuances of their diet and care, as well as measures for the prevention of diseases.
Conditions of detention
This breed is very demanding in content. Horses need a lot of space in the home, as they are very active. The stall for one animal should be at least 5 square meters. m, while the height of the room is 2.5–3 m.
It is interesting to know how and in what position the horses sleep.
You also need to make sure that in every stall there are such items necessary for a horse in everyday life:
- car drinkers;
- day nursery;
Horses of this breed must maintain their athletic shape in order to show excellent results in competitions. To do this, their nutrition must be balanced and proper. One horse a day, give these products:
- 4 kg of grain or feed;
- 4 kg of meadow hay;
- 2 kg of succulent feed;
- 1 kg of wheat straw;
- vitamin and mineral supplements.
In summer, include high-quality grass in your diet. Oats should be given to horses with the addition of chopped wheat or rye straw, with the help of which a sufficient amount of saliva is secreted by the horse to facilitate the process of chewing food. Conventional straw (not chopped) in large quantities clogs the horse’s stomach. Therefore, this product should occupy up to 10% of the daily diet of the animal.
Important! Carefully ensure that the horse's food products are of high quality (no mold, not musty, dry). Otherwise, animals may have health problems. Representatives of this breed are very fond of vegetables and fruits: beets, apples, pumpkin and carrots - thoroughly rinse them and cut them into large pieces before use. But remember that succulent foods should occupy no more than 20% of the horse’s daily diet to prevent indigestion.
Every day, add fish oil, bone and grass meal to the main feed, so that the horse has enough calcium in the body, otherwise the horse will have problems with joints and bones.
A very important part of the daily diet of pets is water. Make sure that there is enough of it in the drinkers. Water should be clean and fresh, and the animal should have free access to it.
We recommend that you learn how to create a diet for horses.
In order for the horses to have a good appearance and be healthy, the following care recommendations should be followed:
- the stall needs to be cleaned every day to prevent the appearance of an unpleasant odor and the growth of bacteria;
- wash the stable thoroughly twice a week to prevent mold;
- ventilate the room so that there is always fresh air in it. But do not allow drafts;
- with the onset of the new season, be sure to disinfect the stables;
- Change bedding regularly. To keep it dry, horses can be taught to use the toilet in one place.
Also, make sure that the horse’s equipment is not cramped or wide. Equipment should be individually selected for each animal, taking into account its size.
- in the summer, bathe the animal 3 times a week. In winter, this procedure can be carried out 1-2 times a week. Use special shampoos and conditioners for horses. After the procedure, wipe the animal with a soft towel;
- also wash your mane and tail regularly, comb them;
- so that the hooves do not become inflamed, wash them after each walk.
Video: Horse Shine
The horses of this breed suffer from various diseases (including cardiovascular, pneumonia, and so on). Therefore, the veterinarian should be regularly invited to the animal so that he examines him and can identify the signs of any disease in time. Also, follow these horse disease prevention measures on your own:
- Provide the animal with proper care.
- Follow all horse hygiene requirements.
- Clean your stall and stable regularly.
- Provide preventive vaccinations for various diseases.
- Make sure your animals are on a healthy diet. Use only high quality feed for them.
- Organize daily horse rides.
- Keep the room dry. Avoid damp and drafts.
Prospects for breeding Russian riding horses
Russian horse breed is promising in breeding. Because of their sporting purpose, horses can bring a lot of income due to victories in various competitions and horse shows. Given the possibility of quick training and the excellent performance of various gait, these horses can be used for hippotherapy. In addition, breeders are actively working to increase the purebred population of the breed. You can also sell horses, as they are highly valued in the market. Therefore, the breeding of the described species of horses has great prospects.