Raw potatoes: benefits, harms and features of use
Traditionally, potatoes are used as food, pre-boiled, fried or subjected to heat treatment in the oven. However, few people know that in raw form, potatoes can benefit the human body, acting as a drug and cosmetic. You can learn about the benefits of this product, its chemical composition and application features by reading this article.
Properties of raw potatoes for the human body
Raw potatoes have a lot of positive characteristics, but not all of them are equally useful, so you should study in detail all the useful properties of this product and take into account the contraindications and harm that it can cause if it is improperly prepared or breached.
- The usefulness of raw potatoes in powdered form or in the form of juice can be found by studying its useful properties and effects on the body:
- activates the metabolism, reducing the amount of salts and water in the body due to the large amount of potassium;
- used to lower acidity when it is increased in people suffering from gastritis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer;
- prevents the development of atherosclerosis, lowering cholesterol in the blood and liver, prevents the narrowing of the vessels of the brain;
- improves the functioning of the heart muscle and heart;
- useful for liver and kidney function;
- improves vision due to its high vitamin content. Effective for relieving eye swelling and eliminating severe fatigue, applied in the form of compresses;
- helps in the treatment of muscle sprains and dislocations, relieves inflammation, eliminates pain;
- antiseptic property in the treatment of various diseases of the oral cavity and throat;
- stimulates digestion;
- helps to eliminate harmful substances from the body, is effective for constipation and as a diuretic;
- It has an immunostimulating effect, helping to resist viral and infectious diseases;
- It has a positive effect on the skin condition due to the content of vitamin E, as well as other minerals and vitamins, and due to this it is actively used as a component of cosmetics in traditional medicine.
When this vegetable crop is subjected to heat treatment, part of the beneficial components is somewhat reduced. That is why, for medicinal purposes, a raw product is used containing the maximum benefit. It should be remembered that a vegetable in this form can actively affect people with a certain list of pathologies to which it is contraindicated. For preventive purposes, the product should also be taken in a controlled and systematic manner.
Did you know? Professional chefs recommend using pink potato varieties for frying, yellow ones for making soups, and white, more starchy and boiling ones, for making mashed potatoes.
Raw potatoes can not only benefit, but also provoke poor health and even harm a person.
- shortness of breath
- abdominal pain.
Juice squeezed from raw potato tubers can be consumed exclusively in freshly prepared form. After even 1 hour in the refrigerator, it may not have a positive effect, but rather the opposite - provoke digestive upset and fever as a result of intoxication.
Important! You can not cook potatoes with a green skin and an abundance of "eyes", which indicate the accumulation of solanine toxin.
It is also worth noting that the uncontrolled use of such an active vegetable drink can adversely affect even a healthy person without pathologies.
It is not recommended to eat raw potatoes for people with such diseases:
- sexually transmitted diseases;
- strong slagging of the body;
- gastritis and gastric ulcer with low acidity.
Get acquainted with the features of freezing and further preparation of potatoes.
Calorie content and chemical composition
The composition of the potato is very rich in substances that benefit the person and allow him to conduct active life. So, for example, a potato tuber consists of:
- water, occupying approximately 80% of the total volume;
- amino acids;
Among the vitamins contained in potatoes, it is worth highlighting:
- vitamins C, B, B1, B6, B2, B6, D, E;
- acids: nicotinic, folic, malic, oxalic, citric.
- potassium, which maintains a balance of acidity and alkali in the body;
- phosphorus, which has the ability to protect enamel and bones from destruction;
- magnesium, which removes cholesterol;
- 74–76 calories;
- carbohydrates make up 20–25% in the form of starch;
- proteins - 2% of the mass;
- fats - 0.3%.
Raw potatoes are most often used not to satisfy nutritional needs, but with the aim of improving health, getting rid of certain ailments, as a remedy in traditional medicine. The use of raw potatoes for the preparation of various cosmetics and various procedures based on it in order to improve the condition of the skin is also popular.
For the treatment of diseases
Important! You should not engage in therapy based on the use of raw potatoes, alone, without the advice of a doctor or a specialist in healthy eating. The preparation of potato juice should take place immediately before it is planned to drink. To be more precise, the juice from potatoes must be drunk within 10-15 minutes after its preparation. It is recommended to drink such a drink for medicinal purposes three times a day to achieve the desired effect, and this introduces certain inconvenience to working people.
- severe heartburn;
- sore throat;
- disruption of the stomach.
Juice is also used to prevent cancer, effectively cleanse the body and increase the protective functions of the body.
So if there is a malfunction in the cardiovascular system, it is recommended to drink 100 ml of juice on an empty stomach 3 times a day for 3 weeks, followed by a break of 7 days, and then resume drinking.
Read more about the beneficial properties of pumpkin juice, beets, squash.
Potato juice can be replaced with gruel from grated or blended raw product. In this form, you can eat potatoes all day long, harvesting it in the morning. In the potato gruel, more beneficial substances and vitamins are stored, in addition, fiber is present in it. Eat this dish should be 1 to 3 times a day 30 minutes before eating. You should start with small portions - 1 tsp. Once a day, gradually increasing the volume.
- pain with superficial wounds and burns, dries and reduces itching;
- traces of burns, fresh scars;
- manifestations of allergies, diathesis;
- varicose veins expansion;
- headache in the form of a compress;
- atherosclerosis, vascular diseases;
- the effects of insect bites;
- swelling, malfunctioning of the kidneys;
- inflammation of the eyes, their redness with prolonged visual stress;
- inflammation of the oral cavity;
- purulent wounds;
- eliminate boils and purulent abscesses.
For cosmetic purposes
Young potatoes are rich in antioxidants, which provide youthful skin, slowing down its aging, taking care of the good condition of blood vessels.
- restoration of natural shine, radiance of the skin of the face;
- increases firmness and elasticity;
- black circles under the eyes are eliminated;
- acne, acne, rashes, age spots disappear;
- fatigue relief, the skin becomes fresh;
Raw potatoes have a large number of useful properties, providing an anti-inflammatory, antiseptic effect, cleansing the body and helping it to increase its protective functions. However, the use of this product should be treated with caution, observing the rules and norms of its use, because of its active properties.