Pumpkin seeds: benefits and harms, especially for men and women
There are few people who have never tried white, or pumpkin seeds. However, not everyone knows that they are not only tasty, but also bring considerable benefits. Today we will talk about the healing properties and rules of use of this product.
The composition and calorie content of the product
The composition of pumpkin seeds in dried form includes:
- vitamins - B4, PP, E, C, B5, B1, B2, B6, B9, K, A;
- trace elements - iron, zinc, manganese, copper, selenium;
- macroelements - phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium;
- essential amino acids - arginine, leucine, phenylalanine, valine, isoleucine, lysine, threonine, histidine, methionine, tryptophan;
- essential amino acids - glutamic and aspartic acids, as well as glycine, serine, alanine, proline, tyrosine, cysteine;
Did you know? If the child regularly eats pumpkin, his growth will increase faster.
- unsaturated fatty acids - Omega-3, Omega-6, Omega-9, palmitoleic;
- saturated fatty acids - palmitic, stearic, arachinic, myristic, behenic, lignoceric, margarine, pentadecanoic, lauric, capric, caproic.
Calorie content of seeds is 559 kcal per 100 g of product and is characterized by such indicators:
- proteins - a little more than 30 g;
- fats - a little over 49 g;
- carbohydrates - up to 11 g;
- fiber - 6 g;
- water - a little more than 5 g;
- ash - up to 5 g.
Important! If you fry the seeds, their calorie content will increase by 15 kcal due to an increase in the amount of carbohydrates, the content of vitamins B1, B5, B9, C, E, micro and macro elements (except calcium, sodium and selenium), essential amino acids will decrease - that is, any cooking reduces the nutritional value of this product.
Properties of pumpkin seeds for the body of men and women
Pumpkin seeds, like any product, have both positive and negative effects on the body. Let's consider these properties in more detail.
Benefits and healing properties
- Pumpkin seeds have such useful properties:
- In raw form, they can be used as an anthelmintic.
- Alcohol tincture of 150 g of crushed seeds per 0.5 l of vodka or alcohol helps men with prostatitis. The tool is insisted for 1 week.
- If you knead 3 tablespoons of peeled kernels and boil them in 300 ml of water or milk, you can improve sleep. Such a decoction also positively affects the work of the cardiovascular system.
- Pumpkin seed oil is useful for patients with tuberculosis, for eating disorders, or when bile gets into the stomach.
- Pregnant women, using dried pumpkin seeds (it is best to dry them in the air or in the oven), can get rid of nausea. The product also contributes to the normal development of the fetus.
- A mask of unrefined crushed seeds, mixed with sour cream, moisturizes and nourishes the skin well, is a preventive measure against premature aging.
- If they are germinated, it will stimulate the intestines and gall bladder, heart and blood vessels, brain function, immunity, and also remove excess cholesterol.
- They improve metabolism, the condition of the hair, skin, the reproductive system, the conductivity of the signals of the central nervous system, reduce nervousness, fatigue.
- The presence of fatty acids in their composition improves liver function, purifies it from harmful substances, is useful for repairing damaged cells, and prevents the development of cirrhosis.
- For diseases of the kidneys and bladder, seeds are mixed with the same amount of hemp seeds and poured with boiling water in a ratio of 2 to 3.
Read more about the benefits and harms of pumpkin seeds for women and men.
Harm and contraindications
Eating pumpkin seeds is not recommended:
- overweight people - because of the high calorie content;
- with diseases of the stomach and intestines, since they have an irritating property;
- if they have a bitter taste or a musty smell - such seeds are spoiled.
- The harmful effect of the product is as follows:
- if there are pumpkin seeds with a peel, this can harm the digestive tract, injuring its walls;
- fried, especially with salt, they can lead to joint problems;
- cracking the peel, you damage the tooth enamel;
- the benefits will turn into harm if you do not observe the measure when eating them.
An adult needs only 10 g of pumpkin kernels per day - 50-60 nucleoli will weigh so much. You need to understand that excessive consumption can not only activate the harmful properties of the product, but also turn it into a negative benefit.
Important! If you eat more than 30 g per day, you can cause significant harm to the digestive system.
How to take pumpkin seeds
Ways to use the product:
- Dilute 2 teaspoons of alcohol tincture of pumpkin seed in 300 ml of water and take daily.
- Dosage of sedative broth - 0.5 cups at bedtime.
- With prostatitis, you can eat daily 1 small ball of 0.5 kg of crushed raw kernels mixed with a glass of honey.
- In diabetes, it is advised to eat a small amount of the product in raw or dried form daily.
- Dried kernels can be added to salads or cereals.
- When baking pumpkin muffins or bread, you can sprinkle it on top with peeled seeds.
- A mask of them should be applied to cleansed face for 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- You can just eat raw, dried or fried pumpkin seeds.
How to store seeds properly
In order to preserve the taste and healing properties of pumpkin seeds for a long time, they should be kept in a dark, dry and cool place. Dried or roasted seeds must first be placed in a glass container or cloth bag. With this method of storage, they can be eaten for a year. And in raw form, these seeds will be suitable for use for 1 month.
Did you know? It is believed that Christopher Columbus brought pumpkin seeds to Europe from America.
So, fans of pumpkin seeds were able to make sure that their habit could well improve their health, although at the same time they could lead to problems with being overweight. Therefore, it is worth observing the measure, and for those who have serious problems with the gastrointestinal tract, it is recommended to abandon this product. And in order not to negate the beneficial properties and delight yourself with the taste of these seeds for a long time, store them correctly.