Pumpkin juice: benefits and harms for the human body
Surprisingly, such a simple, cheap and unpretentious vegetable in growing, like ordinary pumpkin, has a real storehouse of valuable substances that can become an excellent therapeutic and prophylactic remedy for many ailments. You can use this vegetable in various forms: raw, boiled, baked. In recent years, freshly squeezed juice from pumpkin, which is not inferior to pulp in its healing properties, has been especially popular. What is the use of pumpkin juice and how to cook it correctly - let's figure it out.
Calorie content and chemical composition
- The benefits of fresh squeezed pumpkin juice, primarily due to its unique vitamin and mineral composition:
- a group of vitamins B, as well as biologically active substances A, C, E, PP, K;
- mineral components: iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, fluorine;
- amino acids.
Thanks to valuable components, the drink has a rejuvenating, anti-inflammatory, general strengthening effect, improves the functioning of many functional systems of the body, and improves immunity. With such a huge amount of nutrients, pumpkin juice has a low calorie content, which makes it possible to use it in diet food for those who are struggling with extra pounds. The juice is completely free of fats, proteins and contains a small proportion of carbohydrates.
Did you know? Pumpkin is universal in growing vegetables and can grow anywhere in the world except Antarctica.
Calorie content and chemical composition of pumpkin juice are presented by the following indicators:
|Calorie content and BJU per 100 g of product|
|Calorie content||38 g|
What is pumpkin juice good for?
It is difficult to overestimate the benefits of pumpkin fresh, because it, due to a wide range of valuable components in the composition, has a sedative, calming, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, firming, antibacterial effect, thereby exerting a positive effect on the body of adults and children.
Pumpkin juice is recommended to be consumed regularly by men, especially after the age of 40. Due to the high content of vitamins, it helps to normalize the functioning of the reproductive system, improve potency and normalize the functioning of the prostate gland. In addition to the therapeutic effect, the drink is useful as a prophylaxis of diseases of the genital organs, in particular, prostatitis.
Pumpkin juice will be useful for insomnia, colds, and urinary tract diseases. It helps to cope with stress, normalize night sleep, and overcome depression. The healing drink preserves men's health, restores strength after exhausting physical exertion, returns vital energy.
Did you know? Pumpkin has its own capital. It is believed that the world capital of vegetables is the American town of Morton, Illinois.
Representatives of the fair sex will be able to feel the special positive effect of pumpkin juice on themselves. Vitamins A and E in the composition of the product contribute to the rejuvenation of the body, prevent premature aging, improve cell regeneration, restore their elasticity and elasticity. Regular consumption of the drink allows you to improve the condition of the skin, restore the skin to its natural glow, and get rid of age spots and facial wrinkles. Juice makes it possible to have healthy, thick, shiny hair and beautiful, strong nails.
Pumpkin juice, as already noted, has anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and immuno-strengthening effects, therefore it is indicated for children with colds, acute respiratory viral infections, and flu. It helps to increase the protective functions of the body and is easier to tolerate the disease. In folk medicine, there is an opinion that the drink allows you to get rid of parasites, in particular worms. Many parents, referring to such information, regularly give juice for the prevention of helminthiasis.
Important! The effectiveness of a pumpkin drink in the fight against worms has not been scientifically proven, so the decision to use juice in this case depends only on the parents.
Among vegetables, pumpkin is a leader in iron content, so the juice from it is shown to children with anemia to improve blood composition. Vitamin D contained in the vegetable helps strengthen the child’s bone and muscle tissue and serves as an excellent prevention of rickets.
Pumpkin juice is extremely useful for children, however, not everyone knows how to drink it properly. The drink is allowed to be gradually introduced into the baby's diet, starting from the age of 6 months, carefully monitoring the condition of the child and the presence of negative reactions.
Contraindications and harm
- Despite its many beneficial properties, pumpkin juice is not without contraindications, the main of which are:
- increased acidity of the stomach;
- gastrointestinal diseases in the acute stage;
- tendency to upset stomach;
- gastritis and stomach ulcer in acute form;
- individual intolerance to the product;
- severe diabetes mellitus;
- tendency to allergic reactions.
Also, before using juice from an orange vegetable, people with a lowered acidity of the stomach should consult their doctor to avoid negative consequences. With extreme caution, it is recommended to drink fresh in case of diseases of the genitourinary system, since the product has a diuretic effect and can provoke the movement of stones along the urinary tract.
Important! Drinking a pumpkin drink by young children requires prior consultation with a pediatrician.
How to make at home for the winter
Fortunately, pumpkin is a vegetable that can be easily found on store shelves or in markets at any time of the year. Preparing a freshly squeezed drink is quite simple, for this, you should grate the vegetable on a grater and squeeze the cake through cheesecloth. You can also use a traditional juicer.
But in order not to waste time in winter looking for fresh pumpkins, you can pre-prepare the juice in the form of a blank. Such a canned drink retains its valuable properties and will be an excellent source of vitamins and minerals in the cold season.
Kitchen appliances and implements
Preparing a pumpkin drink for the winter will not take much time and effort. To do this, you need a minimum of products and equipment.
As the last you need to use this:
- a container for cooking vegetables, for example, an aluminum pan;
- wooden spatula for mixing ingredients;
- juicer, blender or strainer;
- glass jars and metal lids for a twist.
Did you know? Pumpkins are not only traditional orange or yellow. You can also find a vegetable of green color, white and even blue.
During preparation of the workpiece, the following ingredients will be needed:
- pumpkin peeled and seeds - 3 kg;
- purified water - 2 l;
- sugar - 500 g;
- citric acid - 10 g or 2 teaspoons.
The technology for preparing pumpkin blanks will not cause difficulties if you follow this algorithm:
- Cut the pumpkin into square pieces, approximately 2 × 2 cm (size does not matter).
- Fill a juice container to fill 2 liters of water, lower the chopped vegetable there.
- Put the pan on the fire and cook the pumpkin for 10 minutes from the moment of boiling water.
- When the pumpkin is ready, drain the water and slices of the vegetable through a juicer, blender or rub through a sieve.
- Add sugar and citric acid to the resulting mass. If the mixture is quite thick, then it can be slightly diluted with boiled water.
- Pour the mass back into the pan, put on the fire.
- After the mixture boils, remove the foam from the surface. As soon as the foam ceases to form, remove the cooked juice from the heat.
- Pour a hot drink into sterilized cans, roll up tin lids.
- Banks turn over and wrap tightly. When the juice containers have cooled, put them in a dark, cool, dry place.
Video: how to make pumpkin juice
Pumpkin juice has a wide range of applications, because it is used not only for general strengthening of the body, increasing immunity, but also for solving many cosmetic problems, treating various ailments.
In addition to internal use, pumpkin juice is used externally in cosmetology as the main ingredient in masks, creams and lotions.
He has a huge range of actions:
- rejuvenates the skin;
- moisturizes the skin and eliminates dryness;
- eliminates pigmentation;
- removes inflammation on the skin, acne, redness;
- strengthens hair, makes it more shiny and healthy;
- accelerates hair growth.
Learn about the benefits and harms of pumpkin seed oil.
For hair growth and shine
To restore shine to the hair and accelerate its growth, it is recommended to prepare a pumpkin conditioner: mix 100 ml of pumpkin fresh with 1 tbsp. spoon of honey, 1 tbsp. spoon unsweetened yogurt and 1 tbsp. spoon of liquid coconut oil. Apply the mixture to the hair, wrap it with plastic wrap and cover your head with a towel. After 15 minutes, wash the curls in the traditional way.
Toning mask for all skin types
In order to make a wonderful mask that will tone the skin, improve the complexion and return it to a natural glow, you only need pumpkin juice. It should be applied with a cotton pad to the skin and withstand 20-25 minutes. For the visual effect, a similar mask should be applied in courses of 15–20 procedures, 2-3 masks per week.
Moisturizing lip mask
This tool will help get rid of dry lips, cracks and irritation, return them to their former bright color, firmness and elasticity. For a mask, ¼ Art. mix pumpkin drink with 150 ml of homemade cottage cheese. Put the mixture on the lips, hold for 15 minutes, remove with a damp cloth. Repeat the procedure 2-3 times a day until the desired effect is achieved.
In addition to all of the above, pumpkin juice will be a good remedy for acne and inflammation. A simple daily rubbing of the skin with this juice allows you to get rid of acne, reduce redness and irritation of the skin.
Read also how to properly store pumpkin at home.
In folk medicine
Traditional medicine has a large number of recipes based on pumpkin juice, which make it possible to prevent or cure many ailments, in particular such:
- Tuberculosis. Scientists have found that pumpkin contains substances that can stop the growth and development of Koch's bacillus, which causes tuberculosis. Therefore, with this ailment, it is recommended to use 150 ml of juice daily, dividing this amount into 3 doses.
- Constipation Since the drink has a mild laxative effect, and also cleanses the body of toxins, it is advised to drink it with constipation. To get rid of the problem, it is enough to drink 50 ml of the drink daily on an empty stomach.
- Rickets. To prevent the development of rickets in children, it is necessary to give them 1 cup of pumpkin juice mixed in equal proportions with carrot or apple.
- Anemia. To increase the level of hemoglobin and fight against anemia, you should drink 150 ml of freshly squeezed drink daily.
- Toxicosis. Pumpkin juice helps pregnant women get rid of toxicosis and reduce nausea. When approaching attacks of nausea, it is recommended to drink 50 ml of liquid. From toxicosis - drink in the morning, on an empty stomach, in a dosage of 25-50 ml.
- Urolithiasis disease. Fresh pumpkin has a diuretic effect and helps eliminate urinary tract inflammation. To do this, you need to use it in a course of 10 days, 150 ml 3 times a day.
We recommend that you learn how to freeze pumpkin properly at home.
Fresh squeezed juice from pumpkin is a wonderful natural remedy, which, despite its simplicity, can relieve many ailments. The drink is versatile and great for men, women and children. However, before using the drink to solve health problems, you must always consult a doctor.