Potatoes Queen Anna: variety description, planting, growing and care features
Potato is one of the main crops grown for decades on household plots. Each gardener wants to choose a variety that not only gives a good harvest in his region, but will not be whimsical to care for, but also resistant to disease. Among the existing varieties suitable for these requirements, Queen Anna potatoes stand out.
The origin of the variety took place in Germany with the close cooperation of the companies Solana GmbH CO KG and Solana GmbH CO KG. Their task was to create a culture that can easily adapt and give a good harvest in difficult climatic conditions. Queen Anna entered the Russian register of cultures in 2015.
Did you know? The word "potato" comes from the German "Kartoffel", which, in turn, was formed from the Italian "Tartufo" (truffle), since potato tubers are very similar to truffle.
Characterization and description of the variety
Queen Anne's bush is medium-sized, with erect stems covered with large, richly green foliage. During flowering, it is covered with small flowers with white petals. Fruits are formed extremely rarely.
- medium-sized tubers weighing 85–100 g;
- mid-season variety, you can harvest in 70 days;
- root crops contain 14% starch;
- universal culture.
Mid-season potato varieties also include Slavyanka, Kolobok, Rocco, Skarb, and Irbitsky.
Advantages and disadvantages
- The advantages of Queen Anne potatoes include:
- high productivity;
- excellent taste;
- good storage and transportability;
- unpretentiousness to soil and climate;
- resistance to mechanical damage;
- friendly germination of seed;
- good immunity and resistance to many diseases.
- Among the shortcomings are noted:
- poor resistance to drought (tubers become smaller);
- in an arid climate needs abundant watering;
- requires preventive measures against diseases.
Planting and growing varieties
Technologically, the process of planting Queen Anne is no different from planting other varieties. There are no problems with its cultivation. It is only worth considering that planting should be carried out only in warm, moistened ground.
Potato planting dates
By the time of planting, the end of April - the beginning of May, the soil should dry well, otherwise the tubers will not receive enough air. Also, the soil should be warm. If in your region the soil does not meet these requirements at the indicated time, then the planting dates should be shifted to a later period.
Important! Some experienced gardeners are advised to navigate the trees. If the birch has foliage, then you can plant potatoes.
Crop rotation rules
It is not advisable to prepare a bed for potatoes in the place where solanaceous trees grew last season. After them, at least three years must pass before the soil is ready for planting potatoes. Planting this crop annually on the same site is also not recommended.
After cucumbers, beans and cabbage can be planted. These are the best predecessors.
The site needs to be selected in a sunny place and not in a valley so that moisture does not stagnate on it.
Suitable black earth, peat, loam, sandy loam. It is possible to increase soil fertility with the help of humus, wood ash, and mineral complexes.
Preparing planting material
Before planting the tubers must be carefully sorted. Whole, even root crops of medium size are selected. A week before the planned date of planting, the seed is put in bags and taken out to fresh air, in a sunny place for ventilation and warming.
Did you know? When potatoes came to European lands, at first it was not used for its intended purpose. It was grown as an ornamental plant in their gardens by aristocrats, since they believed that it was not suitable for food.
The landing stages are as follows:
- In the fall, they prepare a bed: they dig it up, make organic matter.
- In spring, the soil is enriched with nitrogen.
- Furrows with an interval of 40 cm break through the bed.
- In the grooves, every 30-40 cm, dig holes.
- They are spread in the wells along the root crop with sprouts upwards and sprinkled with a thin layer of soil (20-30 mm).
- Sprinkle peat with a layer of 30 mm over the grooves.
Features of potato care after planting
To get a good harvest, you need to properly care for it:
- Before flowering, the bushes are watered 1-2 times a week. During flowering, the frequency is the same, but irrigation should be plentiful.
- After each irrigation, soil loosening and weeding are carried out.
- The first hilling is carried out when the plant grows to 15–20 cm in height. The second - after two to three weeks, before flowering.
- The first fertilizer application - with the emergence of seedlings, the second - during the appearance of buds, the third - during flowering. It is necessary to alternate mineral complexes with organics.
- Regular inspection of bushes for diseases and pests.
Important! In order for root crops to grow large and mature faster, flowers on the bush should be promptly picked.
Possible growing difficulties
Variety Koroleva Anna was bred resistant to the most common ailments, but if agricultural culture is not followed, the probability is high that it will be attacked by rot, late blight, spotting, fungus. These ailments affect both the aboveground and underground parts of the plant.
For preventive purposes, fertilizers should be applied in a timely manner, irrigation procedures should be carried out, and bushes should be treated with Bordeaux liquid.
Features of harvesting and storage of crops
Full harvesting is done when the tops die off. This happens 70 days after planting. Depending on the region, harvesting falls in July-August. After collecting, the potatoes are dried for several days, then they are collected in bags or boxes and sent to the basement, where the temperature is kept in the region of + 3 ° С.
Must be indoors and good ventilation.
We must pay tribute to the German breeders, Queen Anne's potato turned out with excellent taste, good yield and keeping quality. Among other varieties, it is distinguished by the ability to grow in any climate and soil. The main thing is that the care of the plant was by all the rules.