Potato Uladar: description and characteristics of the variety
The young potato variety Uladar combines high productivity, unpretentiousness to climate conditions and high quality fruits. Therefore, it is chosen for cultivation both for industrial purposes and for personal consumption in small households. The article describes the detailed characteristics of the Uladar variety, especially planting potatoes and caring for the plant.
Characteristic and Description
Variety Uladar was launched in Belarus in 2008. A team of breeders from the Scientific and Practical Center for Potato and Horticulture worked on its creation. To obtain a new type of potato, scientists crossed varieties Zhivitsa and Kolya. As a result of crossbreeding, a new variety was obtained, characterized by early ripening and excellent tuber taste.
Did you know? The variety was named after the movie "Lord of the Rings", which was released shortly before the breeding of a new type of potato. Translated from the Belarusian word "uladar" - the sovereign.
Today, the variety is successfully grown in Ukraine, in Russia, Belarus and Moldova.
Description of varieties Uladar:
- The bushes have a height of about 60 cm and thin stems, semi-erect and compact.
- The leaves are medium in size, have slightly wavy edges. Painted in deep green.
- It blooms with medium-sized inflorescences. Each contains about 10 small red-violet flowers.
- Early ripening, the first digging can be done 45 days after emergence.
- The fruits are large, oblong. The peel is thin and smooth, painted yellow. The mass of one fruit reaches 140 g.
- The pulp is light yellow, does not change color during heat treatment and has an excellent taste.
- The tubers are well stored and do not lose their attractive presentation after transportation, resistance to mechanical damage.
- Immunity to cancer, late blight, wrinkled and banded mosaic, golden potato nematode, common scab. May be affected by leaf curling virus, rhizoctonia and Colorado potato beetle.
Read also about the features of growing such early varieties of potatoes as:
Potato Uladar reaches full maturity within 65–75 days after the appearance of the first seedlings. Tuber formation is early, and from one bush you can collect up to 12 fruits.
The total yield of the variety depends on the composition of the soil, the growing conditions and the timing of the harvest:
- up to 160 kg / ha during the first undermining 1.5 months after the appearance of the first seedlings;
- 260 kg / ha 2 months after germination of seed material;
- up to 425 kg / ha 70 days after the first seedlings, subject to ideal growing conditions.
The average yield of a variety under standard growing conditions is 350 c / ha.
Video: Uladar potato yield
Uladar is a table variety. Taste characteristics are high, on a 10-point scale, the variety received an assessment of 7 points. In addition to frying, potatoes of this variety can be used for cooking soups, stews and oven-baked dishes.
Important! In the southern regions of cultivation, it is possible to harvest twice during the same season.
Properties and taste of tubers:
- slightly boiled, so often used to make chips and fried potatoes;
- starch content is about 12.5%;
- sugar is in the composition of 0.4%, so they are so tasty;
- light yellow flesh is resistant to darkening;
- contain a lot of vitamin C, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus.
Advantages and disadvantages
The variety attracts many gardeners with its positive characteristics, thanks to which it is cultivated both on large plantations and in small private areas for personal use.
- early ripening;
- high yield with good care;
- immunity to many diseases;
- excellent taste characteristics of tubers;
- high storability;
- good presentation of the fruit;
- unpretentiousness in leaving;
- resistance of tubers to mechanical damage.
- the need for watering the bushes during a period of prolonged drought;
- susceptibility to rhizoctonia and attack of the Colorado potato beetle.
Planting and growing potatoes
Planting potatoes Uladar differs little from planting other varieties. The site should be well lit by the sun. To prevent overmoistening of the soil, the depth of groundwater should not be less than 50 cm.
The variety is unpretentious to growing conditions, even with minimal care, it is possible to get a plentiful harvest. Particular attention should be paid to proper planting, watering and timely soil weeding. The subtleties of planting and growing potatoes Uladar will be considered further.
The timing of planting Uladar potatoes depends on the composition of the soil on the site. Light sandy soil in the spring warms up faster in the sun, so tubers can be planted in it simultaneously with early crops. Clay soil retains heat worse, therefore, on a site with this type of soil, potatoes are planted a week later.
The optimal time for planting potatoes is the second half of May. The temperature on the soil surface during planting should be at least + 15 ° C, so that the planting material quickly sprouts and does not rot.
Learn about the features of growing potatoes using Dutch technology.
Selection of planting material
Tubers intended for planting must be of high quality, without mechanical damage and rot. Small fruits that have as many “eyes” on the surface are suitable. If only large tubers are available, then you can cut them into several parts so that each has at least 2-3 “eyes”.
Preparation of planting material consists of the following actions:
- Disinfection. So that the plant is less susceptible to disease and pest attack, planting material is lowered for 20 minutes in a weak solution of potassium permanganate or treated with special chemicals (for example, Prestige).
- Germination. Before planting tubers in open ground, it is recommended to germinate them. For this, 2 weeks before planting in the soil, the fruits are laid out in a single layer in a well-lit room with an air temperature of about + 15 ° C.
- The production of solanine. You can keep the planting material in the sun for a while so that it forms a poisonous solanine. It will not allow early pests to harm the plant.
- Hardening. After the tubers have sprouted, it is recommended to take them out into the fresh air a few days before planting.
Important! It is recommended not to grow sprouts longer than 1 cm in length on potatoes, as they can be accidentally broken off during planting.
The variety can be grown on any soil, but it is better to bear fruit in light and loose soil.
In addition, on the site carry out such work on soil preparation:
- in the autumn they dig a garden deep;
- before the start of winter, they are fertilized with organic fertilizers (manure, humus) to enrich the earth with nutrients;
- in the fall they make mineral fertilizers consisting of 40% nitrogen, 30% phosphorus and 30% potassium;
- before planting potatoes, the soil in the garden is again dug up.
The Uladar variety gives a good harvest when planting in the area where legumes, perennial grasses or winter crops were grown before.
When planting Uladar potatoes, you need to remember that the depth of immersion of planting material in the soil depends on the composition of the soil and the degree of its moisture. If the land on the site is sufficiently moist, the tubers are immersed to a depth of about 8 cm, and in the early stages of planting - to 6 cm. In areas with a low level of soil moisture, planting is carried out to a depth of about 12 cm.
Did you know? Potato is the first vegetable that they tried to grow in space. This experiment was carried out in 1995, its result was positive. Step-by-step instructions for planting potatoes Uladar:
- Dig small holes of suitable depth, placing them in rows. Between the holes leave a distance of 25-30 cm, and between adjacent rows - about 60 cm.
- Mix the earth dug from the holes with compost or manure.
- Place the planting material in the wells, being careful not to damage the sprouts formed on the surface of the tuber.
- Sprinkle holes with loose soil mixed with fertilizer.
- Carefully level the surface of the earth in the area with planted potatoes.
Variety Care Features
The variety is characterized by high productivity and a large number of large tubers from each bush. To obtain such a result, it is enough for the plant to provide simple care, which does not take much time and effort from the gardener.
Rules for the care of potatoes Uladar:
- timely weeding of weeds around potato bushes - for the first time is carried out at the stage of young shoots reaching a height of 10 cm, and then - as necessary;
- harrowing the site at least 2 times in one season;
- periodic loosening of soil around plants for better moisture retention and air access to tubers;
- hilling of plants after they reach a height of 12 cm and above - improves the breathability of the soil and better retains moisture around the roots of the bush;
- the processing of bushes from the Colorado potato beetle is carried out during the period of emergence of sprouts and during the flowering of plants, that is, twice a season. For reprocessing, you need to use a different insecticide, since insects develop immunity to chemicals;
- the introduction of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizers after the emergence of young sprouts and fertilizing from potassium in the second half of the growing season. Nitrogen and phosphorus stimulate the growth of green tops, and potassium contributes to the formation of large tubers;
- watering the bushes under the root is carried out only in case of severe drought during the flowering period and until that time when the tops stop growing. Frequency of watering - every 10-14 days, depending on air temperature.
Read more about what is needed for hilling potatoes, and how to properly carry it out.
Pests and diseases
The potato variety Uladar shows good resistance to common diseases and pests, but can be affected by the leaf curling virus and rhizoctonia. Often subjected to a serious attack by the Colorado potato beetle.
Consider the signs of these problems and methods of dealing with them:
- Leaf Twisting Virus. More often affects plants during drought, accompanied by high air temperature. The leaves of the bush turn yellow, and then twist into a tube and dry.
The source of infection can be low-quality maternal tubers or insects that carry the virus from diseased plants. To treat the disease, you need to dig up and destroy all the affected plants, and then treat the potatoes with fungicides. For prevention, weeds around plants are regularly removed, and planting material is treated with antiviral drugs before being planted in the soil.
Rhizoctonia (black scab). The causative agent is a pathogenic fungus that affects not only tubers, but also the stem of the bush. Small black growths form on the fruits, and the lower part of the stem is covered with white coating.
The bush stops growing and can die. The cause of rhizoctoniosis can be planting material infected with the fungus, planting in cold and damp soil, as well as waterlogging of the soil in combination with cool weather. When a disease occurs, potatoes are treated with fungicides. For prevention, it is recommended to harvest only in dry weather and carefully inspect the tubers before planting, treating them with special preparations. Important! Potatoes can only be eaten 40–50 days after their last chemical treatment.
- Colorado beetle. This insect lays many eggs on the leaves of the plant, from which red larvae hatch. They eat potato leaves and provoke the death of the crop. With a small number of pests, they can be collected manually. But if the site with the plants has undergone a strong attack, chemical preparations are used.
To prevent the occurrence of a pest along the perimeter of the site, sage, legumes or matiolla can be sown, and tubers should be processed in a potassium permanganate solution before planting.
Harvesting and storage of crops
Uladar potatoes begin to be harvested at the stage when the tops of the tops still retain their green color, but the leaves are already completely dried and fallen. Typically, tubers are dug from the ground in late August or the first half of September. Harvesting is best done in sunny weather.
Also learn how to use potato tops.
Before sending potatoes for storage, perform the following actions:
- tubers are dried outdoors in the shade for several days;
- sorting over the harvested crop, separating spoiled or mechanically damaged fruits;
- sort the fruits by size, selecting the medium-sized tubers for the next planting and placing them in a separate part of the cellar or basement for storage.
By following the recommendations for growing Uladar potatoes described above, you can get an early harvest of delicious and beautiful fruits suitable for preparing various dishes. And with an excess of potatoes it can always be profitably sold due to the large size and attractive appearance of the tubers.