Potato Breeze: characteristics of the variety, especially cultivation and care
There are many varieties of potatoes, which are characterized by long shelf life, low cultivation and climatic conditions. Their representative is the variety Breeze.
Variety Description and Characterization
Potato Breeze was bred in 2005 by Belarusian breeders of the Scientific and Practical Center of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus for potato and fruit and vegetable growing.
This variety forms straight bushes of medium height. The stems are thinner than the rest of the varieties. The leaves are large, saturated green. The inflorescence is in the form of a wreath of medium size, red-violet. Root crops are large, oval, smooth, a large number of eyes, in the bush there can be 8-12 pieces. The flesh is yellow, which is not lost even during heat treatment. The average weight of the fetus is up to 130 g.
Advantages and disadvantages
- The advantages of the variety are as follows:
- gives a large yield;
- he has an attractive presentation;
- resistant to mechanical damage;
- high immunity to diseases such as mosaic, mushroom, potato cancer;
- long stored;
- universal in use;
- high taste;
- unpretentious to the type of soil and climatic conditions.
- The disadvantages include:
- sensitivity to diseases such as scab, late blight and potato nematode.
Ripening dates and productivity
The breeze is a mid-early variety. The time from planting to digging up root crops is 70–80 days. Productivity is quite high - about 400 kg / ha.
This variety is quite appetizing. The tasting score of boiled potatoes is 7 points out of 10. The amount of starch is up to 16%, dry matter - 20.1%, reducing sugars - 0.21%.
Optimal landing times
Planting starts from the moment when the soil warms up to +7 ... + 8 ° C with a depth of 12 to 15 cm. This mainly happens in late April - early May.
Planting and growing potato varieties
Breeze can be planted in different regions, since it grows in any soil and in any climate zone. But in order for the crop to be high enough, you need to adhere to the basic tips for planting and growing this variety, which are the correct preparation of the soil and planting material, in particular planting patterns, care, etc.
Get acquainted with the peculiarities of growing potatoes using Dutch technology.
Crop rotation rules
It consists in the fact that planting Breeze potatoes in the same place can be done no more than 1 time in 3 years.
Preparing the soil for planting is one of the important activities that directly affects the quality and size of the crop. It consists of the following stages:
- before digging, fertilize the soil with humus;
- dig a garden in the depth of one bayonet shovel in the fall;
- in the spring to loosen the earth, removing weeds;
- the soil should be sufficiently moist.
Preparing planting material
A very important point in the cultivation of Breeze potatoes is the preparation of planting material. The main requirements are as follows:
- in autumn, it is necessary to set aside healthy and intact seed tubers separately from other root crops;
- seed before planting can be treated with disinfectants (Prestige, Maxim, Kruiser) and stimulants (Poteytin, Mikom);
- in spring, germinate and warm the seeds for 13-15 days at an air temperature of +12 ... + 13 ° С;
- germinated eyes on the planting material should be thick and short;
- 2 days before planting, cover the root crops with a bag or other material so that they harden;
- medium potatoes are best for planting, but larger ones can be cut into smaller pieces.
It has such features:
- the hole must be made 10 cm deep;
- the distance between root crops in the hole is up to 40 cm;
- the distance between the rows is 70 cm.
Features of potato care after planting
Caring for potatoes Breeze consists of the following actions:
- Before germination of root crops, monitor the soil and carry out loosening so that a crust does not appear;
- when the first shoots appear, pry the earth between the rows, as well as after watering or rain;
- when the bushes reach a height of up to 20 cm, they need to be earthed up, providing root air with air;
- if necessary, water the beds in the early morning and evening, providing the plant with protection from the sun;
- weed regularly;
- several times you can feed with mineral fertilizers: superphosphate or ammonium sulfate.
Diseases and pests of potatoes
The main enemies of the Breeze potato are:
- Late blight is a fungal disease. It can be eliminated with the help of fungicides (“Quadris”, “Kuproksat”, “Metaxil”), as well as preventive measures: select healthy planting material, regularly weed the garden, and avoid rotting of the bushes.
- Scab - a disease that affects root crops, can destroy more than half of the crop. You can fight it by treating the seed tubers with a special drug (Fungazil, Rovral Akvaflo, Maxim 025 FS).
- The potato nematode is a parasitic worm that affects not only the stems, roots of the potato, but also its tubers. It is very difficult to identify and destroy this pest in time. Therefore, it is best to carry out preventive measures: adhere to crop rotation; Use healthy seed process infected plots of land with Nemabaktom; fertilize the soil with organic fertilizers for the propagation of earthworms; dig the soil deep in the fall.
- The Colorado potato beetle is an insect that can completely destroy all bushes in a few days.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with it every year, as it adapts to new chemicals and becomes resistant to them. Therefore, there are many ways to protect against this pest:
- mechanical method - picking beetles and their larvae by hand, picking potato leaves with pest eggs;
- chemical method - treatment of tubers and bushes with chemical preparations (“Confidor”, “Commander”, “Napoval”, etc.);
- non-chemical method - sprinkling bushes and aisles with ash, corn flour, fresh sawdust from conifers or spraying with infusions and decoctions of bitter pepper, tobacco, dandelion, garlic, wormwood, etc.
Features of harvesting and storage of crops
Harvesting is possible 70–80 days after the tubers are planted in the ground. Before that, you need to mow the tops 2 weeks before harvesting. This type of potato belongs to those varieties that are well preserved.
Did you know? The largest potato in the world weighed about 8 kg.
The breeze refers to unpretentious varieties in cultivation and care, as well as with universal taste qualities that will appeal to almost everyone: lovers of boiled mashed potatoes, and fans of fried potatoes or chips.