Pepper Bogatyr: description, secrets of successful cultivation
The Bogatyr pepper variety is popular among farmers, it is easy to care for it. Learn how to grow a variety from the article.
Variety selection and characterization
The Bogatyr variety is undemanding in care, resistant to diseases. Bred in Moldova about 22 years ago. It is grown in areas with open ground (southern regions) and in greenhouses (in the northern regions).
- conical two- or four-chamber fruits with tubercles;
- with different types of ripeness, the color of the fruit varies from green to red;
- juicy, sweet flesh;
- fruits weigh 200 g;
- bush mature 60–70 cm has a medium foliage.
Advantages and disadvantages
- The hero is distinguished by such advantages:
- keeping quality 98%;
- special care is not required;
- excellent taste;
- well preserves nutrients during heat treatment.
- prone to adversity, especially aphids;
- does not tolerate drought.
In order to grow Bogatyr pepper on your own, you need to choose the right seeds, sow them so that seedlings emerge. After you need to care for seedlings. About this in more detail below.
Find out what are the benefits and harms of green bell pepper.
Seeds are sown for seedlings in February in order to plant it in May in a permanent place.
Soil selection and preparation
Land for sowing seeds is purchased in specialized stores or prepared independently. In the fall, soil is gathered, preferably before frost, but slightly frozen can also be used. It is left in a warm place for 14 days for heating, then it is disinfected by pouring a solution of potassium permanganate (1 g of the drug in 200 ml of water). When the earth warms up, peat and humus are added to it in a ratio of 4: 1: 5.
The choice of capacity for sowing is an important stage in growing vegetables that affects the quality of seedlings.
Common containers for sowing seeds:
- Peat pots or pills . Use if you plan to plant a small amount of seedlings and get a sprout from each seed. Advantages - no need for diving, landing in open ground without first removing seedlings from the tank.
- Boxes . Suitable for planting a large number of seedlings. It can be used several times, while rinsing, drying and storing in a dry, warm room. The advantage is the ability to exit excess water. For better germination of seedlings, you can create a greenhouse effect by covering the boxes with film.
- Glasses are plastic or cardboard . They are used in almost the same way as peat pots. Dive is not necessary. Seedlings, along with a lump of earth, are easily removed from the cup, after which it is transplanted to a permanent place.
Which capacity is best to choose depends on how much pepper you are going to grow.
Seed selection and preparation
Before sowing seeds of Bogatyr pepper, they need to be selected and prepared. To do this, lower them into the water: empty float, and suitable will remain at the bottom.
Dry them and proceed to the following manipulations:
- Dilute 1 g of potassium permanganate in 100 ml of water and soak the seeds in it for a quarter of an hour to disinfect.
- Leave the seeds in a solution that stimulates growth for 2–4 hours to increase their productivity, for example, in the solution of the Epin preparation (0.05 ml of the product per 100 ml of water).
Important! When choosing seeds, read the information on the packaging regarding the date of their packaging. It should not be produced earlier than three years ago.
It is better to sow seedlings in a container measuring 15 × 10 × 10 cm. Before use, they are washed and dried, then they are filled with previously prepared soil.
When sowing, you must adhere to the following rules:
- the tank is filled with soil, not reaching 2-3 cm to the sides;
- the seeds are placed in recesses with a diameter of 1 cm, at a distance of 2 cm from each other, sprinkled with soil on top;
- then covered with plastic wrap to create a greenhouse effect so that the sprouts sprout faster. In this case, you need to monitor the temperature regime: during the day +25 ... + 27 ° С, at night +11 ... + 13 ° С.
After planting Bogatyr and before the appearance of sprouts, you need to properly care for seedlings.
To do this, observe the following principles:
- when the first shoots appear, maintain the air temperature: +22 ... + 25 ° С;
- the room in which the seedlings are located is aired, but drafts are not allowed;
- when growing seedlings provide air humidity of 65–70%;
- seedlings are watered 2-3 times every 7 days with warm, settled water;
- before flower buds are formed, seedlings are fertilized with a growth stimulator (solution of 5 ml of potassium humate and 2 liters of water) once every 5 days;
- when flowering occurs, pepper is fertilized with a solution of 1 g of manganese sulfate, 1.7 g of boric acid and 0.2 g of zinc sulfate, diluted in 10 l of water, 1 time in 7 days.
In order for seedlings to develop, daylight hours should last 12-14 hours. With a lack of lighting, the plant will actively stretch up, the stem will become thinner and begin to deform. For sufficient lighting, it is necessary to equip the place of seedling maintenance with additional devices: LED or fluorescent lamps with a power of 200 W per 1 m², placing them at a distance of 20 cm from the plant.
Important! After diving, seedlings should be placed in a room with a temperature of +22 ... + 25 ° С - at + 15 ° С and below, plant growth slows down.
In the period when cotyledon leaves are formed, seedlings are provided with constant lighting for 3 days, which positively affects its growth. When the leaves appear, daylight hours for the bush should last 14-15 hours. In February, the lamps are turned on from morning to 8 pm. In April, artificial lighting is enough from 6 to 12 noon and from 16 to 19 pm. Pepper Bogatyr does not tolerate diving, so to reduce the risk of damage to a weak root system, the procedure is carried out when two sheets appear.
- Water the container in which the seedlings are located.
- Take a small glass or pot with a volume of 100-150 ml.
- Fill the tank with soil, it is advisable to choose the same soil as for sowing seeds.
- Take the seedling by the leaves so as not to damage the stem, pry it with a garden spatula or spoon and move it into the pot.
- Deepen the roots into the ground by 5 mm.
- Place the pots on the windowsill.
14 days before transplanting seedlings to the plot, it must be hardened. To do this, reduce watering, drying is allowed until a crust appears on the soil. Then, the temperature of the seedlings is reduced to the level of outdoor air. First, the sprouts are placed in such an environment for 4-6 hours, then gradually increase their stay in the natural environment.
Read also about how to properly grow pepper seedlings at home.
Transplanting seedlings to a permanent place
Transplanting seedlings to a permanent place requires compliance. Let's consider them in more detail.
Transplanted seedlings to a permanent place in May, when the age of the plant reaches 60–70 days. The procedure is carried out when a 10 cm soil layer warms up to + 15 ° C. It is not recommended to plant seedlings late, as this will adversely affect the development and growth of the plant.
Seat selection and crop rotation
A bed for planting seedlings has been prepared since the fall, it is better to choose a well-lit area. It is also necessary that the soil is not oversaturated with moisture during rains. It is better to plant Bogatyr pepper in the garden where they used to grow: pumpkin, carrots, cucumber, onions, garlic, squash and squash. These vegetables enrich the soil with useful substances, after them the soil does not need loosening.
Scheme and landing depth
To get a rich harvest, you need to clear the selected bed of weeds. On the day of planting, mark the bed, make holes 20 × 20 × 20 cm, according to the 50 × 50 scheme, fill with humus, add half a glass of wood ash, place one sprout with a lump of earth in each hole. If seedlings were grown in peat glasses, it is planted along with them, while the plant does not need to be completely deepened into the soil, but only the root system.
Did you know? Pepper Bogatyr contains not only vitamins B and P, but also the hormone of happiness found in chocolate. Thus, the use of vegetables can get rid of depression.
Then the plant must be sprinkled with soil, compacted and around each seedling to make a circle in which to add water for irrigation.
Agrotechnical measures for growing Bogatyr pepper include:
- preparation and disinfection of soil for sowing seeds;
- seed selection for healthy, high-quality seedlings;
- sowing seeds into the soil to a depth of 3 cm and at a distance of 2 cm from each other in a checkerboard pattern;
- shelter with a film and observing a temperature of + 25 ° C, so that shoots appear in a month;
- with the appearance of sprouts, a decrease in room temperature to + 20 ° C;
- when three leaves appear on seedlings, dive into containers with prepared soil;
- top dressing after rooting of young shoots.
The grade of pepper Bogatyr needs to be well watered. The procedure is carried out in several stages. The first stage is during the transplant, then after 5 days, then on schedule. It is better to water the plant in the morning or in the evening. To prevent drying, pepper is watered on one side, on the other, the soil is loosened. After a day, they change sides. This method allows you to evenly develop the root system of the plant. Watering is carried out using a watering can with warm water (+ 25 ° C).
Important! Watering pepper with cold water stops its development, while flowering and fruiting occurs later than the specified time.
Each bush ripening period requires compliance with the following irrigation rules (1 liter of water needs 10 liters of water):
- before the flowering stage, watering is carried out 1 time in 7 days;
- at the stage of flower formation - 2 times in 7 days, and the same watering at the time of fruiting.
Regardless of where you grow the plant - in a greenhouse or outdoors, you need to loosen the soil. Loosening of the soil is carried out along with earthing up. During the period of active growth, it is necessary to loosen the soil five times.
- during flowering, the depth of cultivation should be 10-12 cm;
- when the ovaries form, the depth is increased by 3 cm;
- during fruiting period - 20–25 cm.
Did you know? Red pepper is not only a tasty product, but also a component of medicines. It promotes warming, improved blood circulation, increased appetite and restoration of visual acuity.
Fertilizing helps to increase the size of the fruit, and also gives them sweets. To prepare a nutritious fertilizer, you need to use warm water. Also avoid getting fertilizing on the leaves of the bush, as this can lead to chemical burns.
- 14 days after disembarkation, a mineral fertilizer is applied at a constant place, which consists of superphosphate 5 g, urea 10 g per bucket of water;
- during flowering - 1 tsp. potassium and urea, 40 g of superphosphate diluted in a bucket of water;
- during fruit ripening - 2 tsp. superphosphate and potassium salt in a bucket of water.
Since the Athlete is tall, his bushes must be tied up. Do this when the bush reaches a height of 70 cm, until the fruiting. Since the stems are fragile, each skeletal branch is tied separately. For this, the support needs to be deepened into the soil 20 cm from the seedling and the stem should be tied with twine.
We recommend that you learn how to properly shape peppers in a greenhouse.
Another way to garter the bush is to equip the support along the edges of the beds, on which twine is stretched horizontally in several levels. Adhering to the minimum rules when caring for Bogatyr pepper, you will get the desired crop and provide yourself and loved ones with a tasty and healthy vegetable.