The most fragrant and fragrant varieties of roses
The royal floral title went to roses not only for their noble and elite appearance, but also for the fragrant aromas endowed by representatives of this family. That is why everyone who is given roses reflexively reaches out to smell a bright bouquet. But, there are times when there is no aroma at all: it turns out that not every rose smells. The article will examine exactly which varieties of roses fascinate with their aroma.
The most fragrant varieties of roses
These flowers impress with various aromas, including musky, spicy, fruity, tart, and some combine several fragrant notes. This odorous variety is the result of the merging of many factors: proper care (watering, planting, transplanting, fertilizing, cutting), environmental conditions (moisture, lighting, soil plant preferences). Did you know? 98% of women's perfumes include rose oil.
But, most importantly - varietal features. There are several varieties of roses with a strong aroma. Read more about each variety and variety.
Frequent decoration of flower beds and rose gardens. Have florists not only an impressive aroma, but also a variety of colors. They do not require large space, since the stems with processes form a small bush. The growth of the flower of representatives of the variety can reach even more than a meter. A special advantage of flowerbed varieties is flowers of impressive sizes.
The most common varieties:
- Beverly is a flower that is especially popular among florists: it is often used to create bright and original bouquets. You can recognize it by the rich sweet aroma, cold pink color of the goblet bud and dark green foliage. Forms erect bushes, the height of which reaches 70 cm. Pleases the gardeners with abundant flowering, which can last all of October, in the absence of frost. It tolerates temperature jumps from heat to cold.
- Blue for You is the owner of delicate and touching lilac-violet flowers, which sometimes can even acquire blue shades, which harmoniously contrast with glossy green foliage. Because of this extraordinary color of the petals, Blue for You is often mistaken for an artificial plant. Even from a distance of two meters, a dizzying sweet smell is caught that connects apricot and vanilla notes. Such a unique flower cannot but charm. But, he is rather whimsical: he does not like either shaded or fully lit places, gravitates to neutral territories. Blue and lilac buds delight the eye for only 3-4 days, after which they begin to crumble. The average height of the bush is 50 cm, but can grow up to a meter or more.
- Frau Karl Druschki . The variety borrowed its name from the wife of Karl Druška, who led the Society of German Friends of the Roses. It has flower growers with impressive inflorescences from 5-6 snow-white buds that look contrastingly against the background of dark green foliage. Unopened buds have a sharp shape and pink shades that disappear before flowering. The flowers are quite large and plentiful: the average diameter is 14 cm, the shape is classic. Blooms twice a season. Representatives of the variety are formed into compact bushes, the height of which can reach more than a meter.
- Blue River is a variety that attracts attention with its velvet flowers of the original color: in the center are the petals of a delicate lavender color, and the edges acquire magenta shades. It is important that the floral middle does not open to the end. At the time of full bloom, the petals give off silver and blue notes of paint, which looks very impressive against the background of a floor of glossy, dark green leaves. On average, one flower consists of 40 silky petals, and its diameter varies between 9–11 cm. The buds grow alone, or are collected in inflorescences of 2–5 pieces. At the initial stage of flowering, they are dark crimson, but change color during flowering. The growth of representatives of the variety can reach a meter, and the width of the bush is 75 cm. The fragrant fruity smell persists even after the petals have dried.
- Bride Like any bride, it stands out with its uniqueness and uniqueness. Velvety flower petals are painted in a pale pink color, which tends to be more white. The core of the bud takes on a yellow-fiery hue. The diameter of one rose reaches 8–10 cm, they are located on tall stems, 100–150 cm long. The buds emit a delicate fruity aroma.
- Edit Piaf is a variety owner of bright classic red-burgundy flowers with double petals (up to 50 pieces are collected in one bud). The flower diameter is quite impressive - 10–13 cm. Dense and lush bushes grow up to 80–90 cm in length and up to 60 cm in width, covered with abundant silver-green leaves. Terry flowers emit a strong aroma with spicy-fruity notes.
- Parole is a variety that captivates with its huge flowering size (diameter - 20 cm) and an entrancing scent, in which tea, spicy and honey-sweet chords reunited. Not only impressive dimensions are striking, but also the rich pink-purple fuchsia color of the petals. The bush grows in width by 50 cm, in length - by 80, its stems are even and straight, which makes roses an excellent find for florists.
- Whiskey stands out on the list not only by its elite name, but also by its unique fiery yellow color of wavy flower petals, the edges of which gravitate toward orange hues. The parameters of the height and width of the bush are the same - within 80 cm. They produce a delicately sweet aroma.
Shrub varieties include varieties that usually adorn gardens, parks, alleys. Their highlight is the height, which usually reaches 2 m. The title of the most fragrant representatives of this species has been held for many years by the Bourbon and repair subspecies. Due to its original form of bush formation and abundant flowering, shrub roses are one of the most fragrant.
Did you know? The smell of roses is one of the most powerful antidepressants.
More about the most elegant grades:
- Abraham Derby stands out with its original, densely-colored form of flowers. In one bud, there are about 140 petals of apricot pink in the center and light yellow at the edges. The diameter of one bud is 12-14 cm. It is interesting that the bottom of the petals is almost white, sometimes cream. Graceful roses contrast in harmony with glossy foliage, saturated green color. The bush reaches 150 cm in height and 100 cm in width. Many thin shoots depart from the main stem, which during flowering need support, they can be directed up the wall or along a special partition. It emits gently sweet scented chords.
- Coral-peach flowers and pale green leaves impress with the variety Maygold . Bushes of this species are stunted, not more than half a meter in height. In the middle of the bud are scarlet stamens, which, before the end of the flowering phase, acquire cream tones. The aroma is spicy musky.
- Rose Penelope is the owner of purple buds with golden centers, in the center of which are stamens with a lemon color. From one flower brush, from 5 to 60 buds can bloom, which become a bright contrasting necklace of plum-coral foliage. The bush is formed in the form of a pillow, its length can reach 4-5 m. A pronounced musky smell comes from the inflorescences. The advantage of the variety is that the bush is abundantly covered with flowers throughout the entire summer-autumn period.
- The Colette variety charms with a citrus aroma of densely terry flowers, the delicate apricot color of the middle of the petals of which smoothly turns into mustard yellow along the edges. The parameters of the bush are 2 m × 90 cm. The foliage is small, dark green, with a glossy sheen.
- Charles Austin is one of the most popular English varieties, attracting attention with huge flowers, the central petals of which are fiery orange, and the side petals are pale pink. With a height of not more than 1.5 m, the width of the bush can reach 120 cm. The stem is covered with saturated green glossy foliage. Variety Charles Austin is the owner of a strongly pronounced fruity aroma with fresh notes.
Climbing roses are wayward garden vines, reaching a length of 5 m. They are a real find for landscape designers, as they are widely used in the design of garden and park arbors, arches, columns, hedges, countryside and garden plots, parks, home Alpine slides and rose gardens. For the normal functioning of these varieties, they need to build a special support or lattice.
Did you know? Residents of Bulgaria annually hold a rose festival, which marks the beginning of the collection of petals for the manufacture of rose oil.
On the most fragrant types of climbing roses, read on:
- Rosenresley is a variety-owner of orange-pink or pocket-red terry flowers, collected in large inflorescences. Plants emit a strong sweet smell. Dimensions of the bush - 150 × 100 cm. The stalk of the culture is covered with shiny foliage, dark green in color.
- Albertine - a 4-meter wicker bush is abundantly covered with delicate peach flowers with double petals combined into huge inflorescences (3–7 pieces). Inflorescences are formed on thin elastic shoots that need to be supported. It blooms only once per season. Fragrant aroma with a predominance of sweet notes spreads several meters. Among its prickly climbing relatives is a giant rose, since it can reach 4-6 m.
- Zepherin Drouin . A variety that differs from all those listed by the absence of thorns. But, its main advantage is unusual pink-red flower petals with spots and stains of white color. The bush can reach a length of 3 m, and in breadth it grows to 2 m. It has a very pronounced sweet aroma. In addition to flowers, raspberry-colored stems are densely covered with frosted leaves. Needs support construction.
- Golden Geit. The name itself indicates that we are talking about a variety - the owner of golden cup-shaped flowers, or rather - golden-copper. Golden buds (10-12 cm in diameter) are collected in elegant inflorescences. In height, the bush stretches up to 3 m. A strong lemon smell spreads around the bush. The decoration of the bush can also be considered dull saturated green foliage.
- Jasmine is a variety that captivates with a delightful smell with distinct apple notes and soft pink terry flowering. The bush can become a bright decoration of your landscape design, it looks especially impressive on arches and arbors, as it densely envelops them with a green-floral 3-meter carpet. In one inflorescence, there are from 10 to 15 buds.
- Compassion is one of the most popular and ancient climbing varieties, mesmerizing with its floral colors. This rose can be called a chameleon, because during the flowering period it changes the color of the petals several times, starting with soft pink, which is replaced by copper-yellow chords, and in the end - apricot or salmon shades. The fact that flowering ends Compassion reports the appearance of silver overflows on terry petals, which, by the way, in the bud can be up to 40 pieces. Roses emit a strong sweetish aroma. Plants form densely branched bushes, which need to build a support. Shoots are densely covered with shiny, dark green leaves.
Features of growing and caring for fragrant roses
Despite the royal title, fragrant roses cannot be called moody plants, because if you follow some rules of cultivation and care, they will thank you with their exquisite beauty.
Did you know? The Japanese bred a beautiful variety of roses called Chameleon: in the afternoon, flower petals are painted in bright red color, and in the evening they become snow-white.
Learn more about growing fragrant pink varieties:
- Cooking seat. It’s better to do this business in the fall. To plant a rose, you need a 100 × 100 hole for climbing and shrubbery and 50 × 50 for flower beds, which are well drained with crushed brick pieces, and covered with rotten manure or compost (1 bucket) on top. Seating should be protected from drafts, but well-lit. You should also take into account the fact that there should be space on the site for the construction of the support, if we are talking about planting climbing varieties.
- Soil type. The listed varieties prefer to grow on loamy or sandy loamy fertile slightly acidic substrates. The increased acidity of the soil should be neutralized with a solution of wood ash. The soil should be regularly loosened and cleaned of weed thickets.
- Landing time is autumn. It is necessary to plant a flower before the onset of frost, so that it has time to take root and winter without pain. You can also plant in the spring, but at the same time it is worth remembering the risk of frost.
- Landing technique . Before planting a seedling, its roots should be soaked in water (about 10 hours), and then treated with a mixture of clay, water and manure, which contributes to the rapid rooting of the seedling in a new place. Lower the sapling into the hole, cover it with earth, creating a small hill around the stem. The seedling itself needs to be cut: 3-4 shoots are left on it, each of which should have from 5 to 8 buds.
Learn how to grow roses from seeds.
- Watering . Roses should be watered abundantly, every 7 days. A bucket of water is used for one bush. Water should be clean and without lime - rain or sediment. Immediately after watering, it is worth mulching the soil so that oxygen enters the root system of the plant.
- Top dressing. From the observance of this stage, the external characteristics of the plant and its aroma depend on a large measure. Rose needs complex fertilizers containing potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen components, especially during the growing season. So, with the onset of June, it is necessary to fertilize the flower with a solution of mullein, superphosphate and potassium nitrate (1 l / 30 g / 20 g / bucket of water). In July, the rose is fed with nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium fertilizers. The ratio per 1 m² is 10 g / 30 g / 30 g. In August, in order to accelerate the maturation of wood, the rose is fertilized with superphosphate (40 g / 1 m²) and potassium (30 g / 1 m²).
- Care for the bush. It is worthwhile to constantly remove wilted flowers, and in August - cut off the buds that form at the top. In the spring, in order to form a beautiful bush, it is recommended to cut long shoots 0.5 cm above the sprout. The second and third pruning is carried out in mid-summer and early September. Shoots with damage, or signs of disease, are initially cut off. It is also worthwhile to remove thin branches, the diameter of which is less than 1 cm. As for large branches, 2/3 of their lengths are cut in autumn.
- Preparing for the winter . The optimal time is when the temperature converges at around 0 ° C. Preparation consists in pruning long shoots: they leave only 6 buds. It is also worth carefully inspecting the bush in order to detect diseased or watery areas that need to be cut. Having carried out these procedures, they cover the rose.
Important! It is not recommended to cover roses with sawdust, since they freeze in the winter, and during thawing, the root neck is soaked and it rots.
Shoots bend to the ground. So that they do not touch the cold soil, you can put small wooden boards on the bottom. They cover the rose with dry soil and peat.
As you can see, with the right choice of variety and observing the simple rules of care on your own site, you can grow not only beautiful, but also fragrant roses.
And then they will become a bright decoration of your flower garden and a highlight of landscape design.