The most delicious recipes for harvesting cherry tomatoes for the winter
More recently, cherry tomatoes were considered a novelty in our latitudes, but today a rare gardener does not grow these small tomatoes. They look great in salads, snacks and are used in preservation. Due to their size and excellent taste, they are pickled and consumed whole. If you have not harvested cherry for the winter, then be sure to try the recipes below.
How to prepare cherry tomatoes for harvesting for the winter
Before you start cooking, it is worth choosing the right tomatoes for preservation.
Important! After choosing suitable copies, do not forget to wash them thoroughly before further cooking.
The following recommendations will help you with this:
- pick fruits without damage;
- great if they are the same size;
- Do not preserve green, unripe specimens;
- be sure to pay attention to the aroma of tomatoes: it should be juicy, pleasant;
- if you buy cherry, then inspect their stalk: its unnatural color will indicate that the fruits were picked too early, they ripened already ripped, and therefore their taste will not be the best.
Step by Step Cherry Tomato Recipes
Each housewife has her own secrets and recipes, thanks to which they get delicious tomato blanks for the winter. The most interesting of them are presented in this article. A detailed instruction will allow you to cook a great dish even for beginners in this matter.
Did you know? Cherry tomatoes were bred in Israel in 1973.
Pickling is one of the varieties of canning, due to which the products are stored for a long time, and their taste at the same time acquires a spicy note. You can pickle cherry in several ways.
One of the most original, but easy-to-execute recipes, which will surely appeal to lovers of unusual dishes.
To fill a liter can, take:
- 750 g of tomatoes (take red, yellow if desired);
- 1 tsp granulated sugar;
- 1 tbsp. l ordinary salt;
- 0.5 tsp vinegar
- a few garlic cloves;
- dill umbrellas;
- 1 bell pepper.
- Peel and chop the garlic.
- Wash and peel the seeds from seeds, chop it in circles of 1-2 cm.
- Now put tomatoes in a sterilized jar. Try to tightly fill the container, but do not tamp, so as not to damage fragile fruits.
- After laying out several layers of cherry, add a couple of slices of pepper, and after that continue to spread the tomatoes.
- Then fill the filled containers with boiled water, and then leave to cool.
- At this time, you can do the preparation of brine, diluting 1 tbsp. l salt in 1 liter of liquid.
- After boiling the brine, add 5–8 peas of pepper (if you like more savory snacks). Other seasonings to taste can be added as desired.
- When water has cooled in containers with tomatoes, drain it.
- Put the pieces of garlic, dill to the tomatoes, and then fill the jars with brine.
- Next, add 1 tsp. granulated sugar, 0.5 tsp. vinegar essence, and then you can tighten the lid and send the snack for further storage.
Video: A classic recipe for pickled cherry tomatoes for the winter
Many housewives roll cherry in liter jars without sterilization, observing certain rules in this case.
To fill 2-liter cans you will need:
- 1.5 kg of cherry;
- several dill umbrellas;
- a bunch of parsley;
- horseradish leaves and root;
- a pair of garlic cloves;
- 2 onions (optional);
- granulated sugar;
- 5% vinegar;
- Bay leaf;
- cereal mustard.
Did you know? In Italy and Greece you can visit the museums of tomatoes.
After collecting the ingredients, proceed to cooking:
- Start by preparing the cherry and greens: wash the tomatoes, remove the peel from the garlic and horseradish root.
- Then throw dill umbrellas, finely chopped garlic, parsley, horseradish leaves and its chopped root into sterilized containers.
- Then proceed to lay the cherry.
- Already at the very end, when the jars are full, throw 2-3 peas of allspice, a pinch of mustard seeds.
- After that, it is necessary to fill the containers with boiled water and let them brew for half an hour.
- You can spend this time on marinade: boil water (according to the number of cans) in the following proportion: for 1 liter of liquid - 1 tbsp. l salt, 2 tbsp. l granulated sugar, 150 ml of vinegar.
- After the specified time, drain the water from the cans, add the marinade there and twist the preservation.
Video: Pickled cherry tomatoes without sterilization
Those who prefer sharper and piquant snacks will certainly enjoy the following recipe.
For him, take:
- 2 kg ripe cherry;
- several dill umbrellas;
- fresh horseradish greens;
- 2 onions;
- a couple of garlic cloves;
- spicy hot pepper (you can chili);
- spices: bay leaf, mustard seeds, paprika, allspice peas, cloves;
- blackcurrant leaves;
- cherry leaves.
Did you know? The most popular sauce in the world is tomato ketchup.
After collecting the necessary ingredients, you can begin to work.
- First wash the components, remove the peel if necessary.
- Then cut the onions into rings, chop the garlic cloves, and divide the pepper into large pieces.
- On the bottom of the sterilized jar, lower the onion ring, a slice of pepper, a small leaf of horseradish (you can tear it into several strips), a dill umbrella, several currant and cherry leaves, 5-6 peas of allspice.
- When finished with spices, you can put cherry in a jar.
- Filling the container halfway with tomatoes, throw in a garlic clove, divided into several pieces, a little horseradish greens and a dill umbrella.
- After filling the jar of cherry, put dill, currant leaves, another leaf of horseradish, garlic clove, onion ring, a pinch of mustard seeds on top again.
- Fill the filled containers with boiling water and, having covered with lids, leave for 20 minutes.
- Then drain the liquid and repeat the procedure with fresh boiling water.
- The second time, do not pour water, but pour it into the pan. Add there (per 1 liter of water) 5 peas of cloves, 2 tbsp. l salt, 5 tbsp. l granulated sugar, stir well and boil over.
- Pour vinegar into a boiled marinade (1.5 tbsp. Per 1 liter of water).
- Now fill with cherry liquid and spin the hot tomatoes.
Video: Open pickled cherry tomatoes for the winter
Fans of sweets will appreciate the unusual recipe, according to which pickled tomatoes taste like sugar. Of course, tomatoes will not turn into dessert, but they will add original flavor notes to your main dishes.
To prepare such an unusual snack, take (per liter jar):
- 850 g larger cherry;
- 0.5 l of water;
- 1/3 Art. l salt with a hill;
- 1/3 st., Or 70 g, granulated sugar;
- 30 ml of 9% vinegar;
- Bay leaf;
- allspice black pepper.
You can make sweet cherry in a few steps:
- Wash and dry the tomatoes, fill them with cans.
- Then fill the containers with boiled water and give them 15–20 minutes to cool.
- After time, drain the liquid - it will become the basis of the marinade.
- For three liters of drained water, take 1 tbsp. l salt, a glass of granulated sugar, 3-4 bay leaves and as many peas of pepper.
- Bring the future marinade to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- After boiling the solution for 3-5 minutes, fill them with containers of tomatoes and start twisting.
Video: Sweet Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
If you want to surprise your loved ones and guests, be sure to cook unusual cherry tomatoes in a jelly marinade. They will be a great addition to meat as an appetizer and an original sauce in one dish.
To make tomatoes in jelly, take:
- 1.5 kg ripe cherry;
- bitter pepper;
- 1 garlic head;
- 1 sachet (25-30 g) of instant gelatin;
- 1 liter of water;
- 1 tbsp. l salts;
- 2 tbsp. l granulated sugar;
- 4 tbsp. l 9% vinegar;
- 1 tsp allspice peas;
- several currant leaves.
The indicated number of products is suitable for 2 liter cans.
Important! Before serving, the tomatoes in the form of jelly should be put in the refrigerator for an hour to maintain consistency.
To cook an unusual snack, follow the recommendations:
- Wash pepper, tomatoes, dry, peel garlic.
- At the bottom of the prepared container, lower a couple of currant leaves, a few slices of hot pepper, 5-7 peppercorns, garlic clove.
- After tightly, but carefully (to prevent damage to the thin skin), lay the fruits in a container with spices.
- Next, fill them with boiling water, cover and leave for 10 minutes.
- After the specified time, drain the liquid to use it for marinade.
- For it, dip the amount of salt, granulated sugar, a few peas of pepper indicated in the list of ingredients into the collected water.
- Boil the marinade, and then pour the vinegar in there.
- Remove the liquid from the stove and pour gelatin into it. It is important that it dissolves completely, for this stir the marinade for 2-3 minutes.
- Then the containers with tomatoes can be filled with the resulting solution and twisted.
Tomatoes cooked in this way do not preserve under the lid. Pickled tomatoes are stored much longer than fresh, and also have an original taste.
To ferment them, take (on a 2-liter jar):
- 700 g of cherry;
- 3-4 cloves of garlic;
- various spices: black pepper, peas, cloves, bay leaf;
- horseradish leaves;
- leaves or thin branches of currant, cherry;
- dill umbrellas.
Did you know? In Ohio, tomato juice is recognized as the official drink.
Now proceed to the leaven:
- Rinse the fruits, greens.
- First, throw horseradish greens, currant and cherry leaves, dill umbrellas, a couple of bay leaves, up to 10 peppercorns, 2-3 cloves into the container.
- Next, prepare the brine: boil 1 liter of water with 60 g of salt.
- While the liquid is boiling, fill the jars with tomatoes, periodically pouring them with garlic cloves, spice leaves.
- The resulting boiling water fill the workpiece. If it is not enough to completely fill the tomatoes, then add cold water.
- After that, cover the jars with nylon caps and shake them lightly so that the spices mix better.
- Send the tanks to the sourdough in a dark cool place for 1.5–2 weeks. Further they can be stored in the same conditions.
Quick recipe for salted tomatoes
If you need to quickly pickle cherry, then this recipe will be perfect. Thanks to him, after 5-6 hours you will have a delicious snack ready.
To prepare it, you will need:
- 1 kg of cherry tomatoes;
- a few garlic cloves;
- 2.5 tbsp. l ordinary salt;
- 1.5 liters of water;
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp. l granulated sugar;
- a pinch of cinnamon;
- 2-3 currant leaves;
- umbrella of dill.
Did you know? Swiss Cobert brought the original is not a vegetable, not a fruit - Red Lava (from the English. "Red Love"). Outside, the fruit looks like an apple, and inside it is a full-fledged tomato.
It takes only a few minutes to cook delicious salted tomatoes:
- Wash the tomatoes, peel the garlic.
- Cut it into plates, slightly squeezing the juice with a knife.
- Next, take a little warm water (up to 150 ml), add a pinch of salt into it, and then dip dill and currant leaves there for 30 minutes.
- Take the container, line its bottom with chopped garlic and soaked greens.
- Divide the remaining liquid equally between cans.
- Next, prepare the brine: pour the prepared water into the pan, add salt, granulated sugar, cinnamon, vinegar and boil.
- Arrange the tomatoes in jars while preparing the brine.
- After boiling water, pour the tomatoes and close the lids. After 3-6 hours, the snack will be ready.
Additional ways to save cherry tomatoes
If you don’t want to pickle or ferment tomatoes, but want to keep healthy vegetables for as long as possible, then alternative methods will surely interest you:
- freezing . There is no special technology on how to freeze tomatoes, and this method is far from the most popular, since thawed cherry is more suitable for salads or soups;
Video: How to freeze cherry tomatoes
- drying . Dried tomatoes are used in various dishes, but the process of their preparation is very time-consuming;
Video: Dried tomatoes for the winter
- drying Sun-dried tomatoes are especially popular today due to their unusual taste.
Video: Sun-dried cherry tomatoes
Basic rules for storing blanks
Preservation has its own terms and conditions of storage, depending on the type of homemade blanks.
It is better to keep pickled tomatoes:
- at a temperature not exceeding +20 ºС;
- in a room with humidity not higher than 75%.
Important! Do not allow preservation in glass at sub-zero temperatures, otherwise the jars will burst. An ideal place to store the spins is a cellar or garage, however, if desired, you can find a suitable place in the apartment. Secluded storage rooms are often equipped for such purposes.
Otherwise, you can put the preservation in food cabinets, which do not get direct sunlight and where there are no heating appliances nearby. Oddly enough, but the best place to store preservation in the apartment is the bedroom. There is no threat of increased humidity or hypothermia.
Preservation can be stored even on the balcony, but only in closed cabinets and provided that there is heating.
If you want you to always get good snacks from cherry tomatoes, then consider the following recommendations:
- always follow the specified recipe;
- observe the norms of spices and seasonings, as well as vinegar - the main preservative, otherwise the product will deteriorate prematurely;
- use whole tomatoes with no signs of spoilage;
- thoroughly sterilize cans and lids for preservation;
- so that the tomatoes are better marinated, pierce them with a toothpick in several places.