Milk from milk thistle: benefits and harms, description and use
Traditional healers often speak of milk thistle as a medicine. A useful product from this plant is honey. Use it, like any other beekeeping products, you need to be careful. Before buying, be sure to learn how the product looks, how to distinguish a fake and how to take it correctly for treatment.
Description and characteristics of milk from milk thistle
Milk from milk thistle is quite rare - bees do not really like this plant. You can determine the quality of a product primarily by external signs: by consistency, color, smell and taste. Did you know? Milk thistle is useful not only as a raw material for the production of honey. Milk thistle oil is used to treat ulcers, and dried fruits are used to treat liver diseases.
What does it look like
Externally, milk from milk thistle is thick; when stirred, it is viscous.
The color of the product is close to a light shade of yellow. Depending on the territory and growing conditions, the color varies from pale yellow to amber.
Taste and Aroma
The taste of thistle honey is pronounced, sweet. After use, a persistent aftertaste is felt. The aroma is similar to regular honey, astringency is felt.
Milk from milk thistle crystallizes quite quickly. After sugaring, the product is easy to eat - its particles are soft, they are easy to bite.
The chemical composition and calorie content of the product
Milk thistle honey is distinguished by a large number of useful substances in the composition.
Among them: Read also
- vitamins of group B, E, K, C;
- amino acids;
- flavonoid silymarin.
These elements together lead to a positive effect of the product on the human body. Calorie content of the product - 304 kcal per 100 g.
Properties of honey for the human body
Milk thistle product has many beneficial properties. However, he has some contraindications, so before taking it, you should consider the possible harm.
- The benefits of milk from milk thistle are as follows:
- beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract;
- It is a natural sweetener and will help to lose weight if you replace it with sugar in the diet;
- useful for protecting the liver from disease;
- beneficial effect on blood vessels;
- affects the restoration of cells in the gallbladder;
- improves metabolism;
- helps to remove toxins in case of poisoning or after alcohol intoxication;
- beneficial effect on the skin and removes acne;
- treats joint diseases;
- has a sedative effect;
- helps to eliminate harmful substances from the body after cancer treatment through chemo- and radiotherapy.
Did you know? Apitherapy is a separate field of medicine, the specialists of which use bee products as medicines.
Harm and contraindications
The detrimental effects of taking milk from milk thistle are possible with prolonged and uncontrolled use.
- Among them:
- allergic reaction;
- stomach ache;
- pain in the liver;
- weight gain.
Before using this product, consult your doctor in the following conditions:
- cardiovascular pathology;
- mental illness;
- gastrointestinal diseases;
In some cases, it can not be used at all.
- Among the contraindications:
- allergy to plant pollen;
- allergy to bee products;
- age up to 3 years.
How to check thistle honey for naturalness at home
Milk thistle products are rarely found on store shelves - plantings are usually not very large. The most reliable option for determining the authenticity of milk thistle is to ask the beekeeper for the necessary documents.
If honey is already at your place, there are several ways to distinguish a fake:
- Color . If the color differs in green notes, most likely, you were sold a honey product from a thistle. It is also a rare variety, but it has other properties.
- The taste . The aforementioned beekeeping products from thistle have a richer taste, while that of milk from milk thistle is milder.
- Check with iodine . Dilute honey in water and add 2-3 drops of iodine there. The appearance of blue indicates starch in the composition.
- Checking the bread . Leave a piece of bread in honey for 10 minutes. If it softens, the product is diluted with sugar syrup.
How to take
You can take honey products as a dietary supplement or externally. The method depends on the purpose of use.
In folk medicine
For a general strengthening effect and for the treatment of internal organs, do not exceed the following dosage:
- 1-2 tbsp. l - for adults;
- 1–1.5 tsp - For children from 3 years old.
Important! Before using bee products for treatment, consult a doctor. Use it yourself only as an adjuvant.
Pure use of nectar in its pure form. You can also add it to warmed tea or warm milk. Divide the dose into several equal parts: with a uniform dose, treatment will be more effective. For the treatment of diseased joints, traditional healers are advised to make honey lotions. For this, 1-2 tsp. smear the product on the desired part of the body, wrap it with a warm cloth and leave for 20 minutes.
Milk thistle products are also used for cosmetic purposes.
Experts advise using several recipes for home use:
- For hair growth . Preheat 2-3 tbsp. l product up to + 40 ° С. It is advisable to use a water bath for this. Apply to desired areas of the head. Put a plastic shower cap on top. Wrap a towel around your head. Wash off after 30 minutes. Use the product daily for 10 days.
- Face mask . Indicated for use in acne, facial and age wrinkles. 1-2 tbsp. l apply nectar evenly to the face. After 20 minutes, rinse off the mask with warm water.
- Massage Beekeeping products are suitable for massage. Apply the required amount to the body and rub it slowly into the skin. When the color of the honey changes to grayish, it can be washed off.
How to store and in what conditions
Store milk from milk thistle in a dark, dry room. The optimum temperature is -5 ... + 20 ° С. The best container for the product is a glass jar.
Important! It is undesirable to store beekeeping products in a metal can, since they emit toxins from touching the metal. Rare honey products from milk thistle bring extreme benefits to the body. If you saw this product on the counter - buy without hesitation. Together with the healing properties, you will get a tasty and aromatic sweetener, which is not only useful, but also pleasant to use.