Methods of reproduction and care for anthurium at home
Long-stemmed creepers such as anthurium are popular in home flower growing. They bloom beautifully in a pot, stand for a long time in a cut. For plant propagation at home, you need to familiarize yourself with all the subtleties and methods of the process.
Brief description of the plant
Anthurium is a herbaceous plant whose bush is formed by leaves on long petioles up to a meter. The leaves are dense, glossy, triangular in shape with a sharp tip, dark green in color. The inflorescence is a miniature numerous flowers collected in an ear and arranged on it in a spiral. The ear is protected by a coverlet, often glossy leathery, similar in shape to a leaf of a plant.
- shades of pink and blue;
- ink shade and others.
In addition, the veil or perianth can be two-tone, speckled, three-colored.
Did you know? According to signs, if an unmarried girl acquires an anthurium in her house, then soon she will meet with a second half.
Methods of reproduction of anthurium
Propagation of the flower is carried out in several ways: vegetatively and by seeds.
As a handle, you can take apical shoots with part of the trunk.
- Rooted in warm water at a temperature of +20 ... + 25 ° C.
- Only part of the trunk is lowered into the water, leaf petioles above the water.
- Water is periodically changed: it should not stagnate.
- After root formation, the stalk is planted in the ground, having previously dipped “Kornevin” or another preparation in the growth stimulator.
One of the most effective ways is to separate the side shoots. Lateral processes root well, have all the features of the mother plant.
- An adult plant is carefully thrown out of the pot, side shoots are separated. Often the roots formed by them are intertwined with the roots of the “donor”. It is not recommended to tear them off. First you need to separate, untangling with your hands, then cut with a sharp knife.
- The slice is dried to form a film.
- Planted in wet sphagnum or vermiculite, cover with a greenhouse.
- After 12-14 days, the process adapts, it can be opened and transplanted to a permanent place in the ground.
Learn about the features of growing anthurium red and anthurium andre.
Leaf propagation raises many questions, as practice shows, leaf stalk poorly forms roots. If you root a leaf with a piece of cuttings in water, this can result in decay of the leaf. Some gardeners have successfully rooted leaf stalks in the ground under a greenhouse shelter.
Epiphytes, which include anthurium, form aerial roots on the stems.
This can be used for reproduction:
- A cut of the cut is done under the educated roots.
- A couple of hours, the stalk is dried.
- The slice is dipped in crushed activated carbon.
- The presence of air root formations allows you to land immediately in the ground.
- After planting, the soil is moistened from the sprayer.
Details on vegetative propagation are described in the following video:
Planting material can be collected independently. Anthurium flowers are bisexual, but female and male flowers mature in different periods.
Two flowers are needed for pollination:
- one with a ripe ear, blooming for about a month;
- the other is just starting to bloom.
Within 3–5 days, pollen is transferred from a mature ear to a young ear by a soft brush. After the appearance and ripening of berries (9-12 months), they are collected, knead and remove the remaining pulp. It is advisable to sow immediately after harvest.
- For disinfection, the seeds are washed with clean water, and then soaked for a couple of hours in a solution of baseazole (0.1%).
- For a greenhouse, a food-grade plastic container with a lid is suitable.
- The container is filled with a mixture of peat and leaf land in equal parts.
- Seeds are evenly placed on the surface of the soil, slightly pressing, but not deepening.
- Then carefully spray and cover.
- Crops are germinated at a temperature of +21 ... + 25 ° C.
- Ventilate and moisten daily.
- Shoots appear within 7-12 days. After the formation of 2 strong leaves on the sprouts, the shelter is removed, the seedlings dive into the ground.
- Soil for seedlings consists of the same ingredients with the addition of charcoal.
Important! This method is used mainly for breeding, since the varietal qualities of plants during seed propagation are often lost.
Preparing for a flower transplant
A transplant is performed to rejuvenate old bushes every 3-4 years or for the growth of young specimens annually. The procedure can be performed from February to the end of summer.
The pot is chosen voluminous so as not to hamper the growing roots. Actively formed aerial roots are wrapped with wet sphagnum for better development. Thus, they, developing, reach the soil surface.
To make the plant easier to extract from the tank, the soil is well moistened 2-3 days before transplanting. Carefully removed by transshipment so as not to damage the fragile roots and not break the stems. After transplanting, do not tamper too tightly: the soil must be loose for access of oxygen.
After transplanting, overgrown bushes are tied to a support for stability or fixed with a thick thread stems.
Variant of soil for adult plants (proportion 2: 1: 1: 2):
- turf land;
- pieces of wood bark (needles);
- chopped moss.
Soil mix for young bushes (components in equal proportions):
- pine bark;
- expanded clay.
Learn how to properly transplant anthurium at home.
A drainage layer of 1.5–2 cm is required, since the root system does not tolerate moisture stagnation.
After rooting young bushes, transplanting old plants to a new place, they need proper care.
A tropical plant needs conditions as close to natural as possible.
- Lighting for anthurium should be bright, but not in direct sunlight. It is better to choose the southwest or southeast side of the window;
- the temperature in the warm season is from + 20 ° C to + 25 ° C, in winter it is lowered to + 16 ° C;
- humidity - 80–90%. To maintain the necessary conditions, plants are wrapped with wet moss, which is regularly sprayed. The leaves are wiped with a cloth dampened with water. The ideal option would be to place on a pallet with moistened expanded clay. During spraying, you need to ensure that water does not get on the blooming cobs.
Did you know? According to the ancient doctrine of feng shui, anthurium brings material prosperity to the house.
The frequency of watering depends on the drying rate of the soil coma; its drying cannot be allowed. Hard water from the tap must first be defended, do not shake when watering. The water temperature should correspond to the air temperature.
The excess liquid must be drained from the pan. The upper irrigation method is used, since in the lower method, water will retain the drainage layer. For winter, watering is gradually reduced.
The bush needs fertilizing in spring and summer. When using purchased drugs, their dosage should be halved. A good result is observed with the foliar method of fertilizer. As a complex, you can use a mixture of azofoski and potassium humate in a ratio of 1g / 200 mg / 1l of water. The interval between top dressing is 2-3 weeks.
Important! Anthurium should be kept away from small children and pets; its leaves can cause serious poisoning.
You can use organics:
- mulch from decayed leaves;
- aqueous solution of mullein infusion (1:10);
- divorced infusion of bird droppings (1:10).
What difficulties may arise?
Growing problems arise due to errors in care, this also causes diseases.
Painful conditions and the fight against them:
- Root or stem rot occurs due to waterlogging and a sharp decrease in temperature. In the winter, the temperature is gradually reduced over several weeks. Watering is carried out only when the top soil layer dries, about 3 cm. It is not necessary to fill the flower, it is enough uniform moistening, the water from the pan is drained.
- When infected with anthracnose, the leaves dry out, with advanced cases, the entire bush dies. At the first signs of the disease, it is necessary to carry out treatment with a fungicide, for example, Fitosporin-M. The drug is safe for humans, belong to biological agents, use it strictly according to the instructions.
- Blackening of the tips of the foliage is an excess of calcium. This is possible with impurities of lime in the soil, not standing water from the water supply. Change the substrate to a more suitable composition, be sure to defend or filter the water.
- Leaf plates twist - dry air, poor lighting, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Provide the necessary microclimate and lighting, shade from the sun.
- No buds are laid - there is no dormant period. At low (up to + 16 ° C) temperatures, the plant gains strength in the winter period for further development.
- Weak growth and blanching of foliage during the flowering period - all faded inflorescences need to be cut so that the bush does not waste strength on them.
Anthuriums are rarely attacked by insects, but this can happen if they are aired or kept in fresh air.
- Aphids - it can be found in the axils of the leaves, on their underside. You can wash off the parasites with a soapy solution by wiping with a cloth moistened with liquid. After this, it is advisable to treat with the insecticide "Actellik", "Actara".
- Scaffold - leaves small holes and brown spots on leaf plates. It is removed with a cotton swab dipped in Aktara, then sprayed with the same product. After a week, the treatment is repeated.
- Spider mite - black dots on the foliage will tell you about it. To combat it, acaricides are used, for example, Apollo.
Even a beginner in floriculture can easily cope with the reproduction of Anthurium. The best option at home is considered vegetative propagation. After planting and transplanting to plants, it is important to ensure proper care without deviating from the basic rules.