Liviston: description and care at home
Few fans of breeding indoor plants decide to try their hand at growing exotic. One of the brightest representatives of this type is the palm of Liviston, which can become a real decoration of any room. We suggest that you get to know her better and understand that caring for such a plant is not so difficult.
The genus Liviston has about three dozen plant species. They grow in the tropics and subtropics of southern Asia, as well as in New Guinea and Eastern Australia. Livistony gained popularity as a houseplant due to its unpretentiousness and attractive appearance. Plants are low, up to 200 cm, their trunk does not form, grow due to the large number of leaves. 3 full-fledged leaves grow annually.
The following types of livistones are known today:
How to choose livistona when buying?
Having decided to become the owner of such a palm tree, you need to know what to look for at the time of purchase:
- a new growth is present on the plant;
- bright green foliage;
- tips without spots or other imperfections.
Important! It is better not to create additional stress after the purchase and not to transplant it. This should only be done if the roots are located in a small plastic pot.
How to plant and grow livistona from seeds?
If you decide to grow a palm tree from seeds, you should know what features this process has. Get to know them closer.
An incorrectly sized pot can often lead to problems. The pot should be spacious, no more than 15 cm high. On the bottom, without fail, holes are made to get rid of excess water so that the roots do not begin to rot.
Preparation of soil and planting material
For growing young plants using a soil mixture with the following composition:
- peat - 30%;
- humus - 40%;
- sand - 30%.
Did you know? The palm branch along with the laurel wreath has been awarded to the winners of the competition for centuries.
It includes the following actions:
- The seeds slightly violate the integrity of the shell, which during soaking will provide additional access to moisture and, therefore, accelerate the process of germination.
- Then the seeds are soaked for 2 days in water, removing the fleshy membrane.
- After the emergence of sprouts, transplantation into the soil is carried out.
Landing is carried out in February-March according to the following scheme:
- tanks are filled with previously prepared soil;
- watering and making holes with a depth of 1 cm;
- in each place germinated seed sprout up;
- put on top of polyethylene, creating an impromptu greenhouse.
Learn how to grow indoor rape seed palm trees.
In order for the palm to grow correctly, you need to follow some rules.
Location and conditions
For growth, the plant needs suitable conditions:
- Temperature. In the warm season, the palm must be kept at a temperature of + 16 ... + 22 ° C. In winter - at + 14 ... + 16 ° С.
- Lighting. Liviston needs a lot of light, while direct sunlight does not bring harm. For symmetrical crown formation, it is recommended to periodically turn the pot.
- Humidity. Despite the fact that the palm tree grows even at low humidity, it is recommended to spray the leaves with warm water and wipe them from dust so that they do not lose their attractiveness.
Did you know? In nature, at high temperatures, the palm tree grows only at night, in the daytime it rests. In addition, palm trees lack annual rings.
How to water and fertilize?
Watering livistons is carried out as the soil dries. To do this, use soft, settled warm water. In the summer season, water is used more than in winter. For the growth of new leaves, palm trees need nutrients. From spring to autumn (during the period of active growth) fertilizers are applied up to three times a month. In winter, top dressing is reduced to 1 time in 30 days. For this, ready-made fertilizer complexes purchased in special stores are used.
It is recommended to transplant the flower in spring or summer. This time is suitable for such stress that reduces the risk of foliage dropping. To understand that a plant needs a transplant, you can see the roots sprouting through the drainage holes. The transplantation is carried out by a transshipment method so as not to injure the vulnerable root system. To do this, take the finished land intended for palm trees.
Important! The pot must be not only large, but also heavy in order to maintain stability as the palm grows.
For transplantation, a large tank is chosen, in which the roots with the old earth will fit, and you can add a new one.
Video: livistonia transplant
Removing dry leaves is carried out only after drying the cuttings, otherwise other leaves will begin to wither. This should be done carefully with a sharp tool, trying not to damage parts of the plant.
Pest and Disease Control
Common pests of deciduous palm trees are spider mites and mealy mites. Sometimes a plant can get sick with rotting roots.
Pest control is carried out by the following means and drugs:
- Soap solution in the proportion of soap with water 2: 8. The resulting composition is wiped with leaves.
- Insecticides: "Aktara", "Decis" and "Fastak".
In addition, livistons often dry leaves.
- completion of the life cycle and natural death;
- excessive dryness of air or lack of moisture.
If one leaf withered, you should not be afraid. When this phenomenon is massive - you need to look for a reason. Having become acquainted with Livistona, one cannot but desire to become the owner of this unpretentious beauty. Whether you purchase an adult plant or grow a palm tree from seeds yourself - your choice. We hope our article will help you avoid problems with the flower, and you can enjoy its beauty for a long time.