Is it possible to cook darkened champignons

Very often you may encounter such a problem that the mushrooms darken after the purchase. In such cases, it is better to abandon their further use, as you can cause harm to your body. If you see such fruiting bodies on the shelves of a supermarket, then refrain from buying. Black spots on the surface indicate that the fungus is already old.

Causes of Darkening of Mushrooms

If mushrooms were grown under artificial conditions, then they are relatively harmless to the body. They are allowed to eat raw. If you decide to use thermally untreated fruiting bodies, then they must be fresh. Mushrooms of dubious quality should not be eaten. Not only will they bring no benefit, they can also cause severe harm to your body.

Many housewives after buying mushrooms put them in the refrigerator to protect them from spoilage. The very next day, the question arises as to why dark spots appear on the fruit bodies.

Such changes can be explained by several reasons:

  • leaky packaging. Do not store in open packaging;
  • low temperature.

Also, the mushroom may turn black due to old age. Most likely, it was stored for a long time, and the expiration date has expired. A stale and old fruiting body is characterized by the presence of toxins and harmful substances. They lead to intoxication and malfunction of vital organs.

Video: How to choose fresh champignons

Signs of spoiled raw champignons

If you want to reveal the degree of freshness and spoilage of raw champignons, then you need to pay attention to the following features:

  1. Color. If the mushroom is normal, then its shade will be white or cream. In rare cases, it may be pink. A black mushroom indicates an expired shelf life. Champignons are also characterized by a dull skin tone. If it changes to glossy, then the product is spoiled and unsuitable for consumption.
  2. Cap features. In young mushrooms, it should be streamlined and glossy. There may be small flakes on the surface. If yellow or black spots form on the hat, then the product has spoiled. Old mushrooms may have a flat surface. The bottom of the hat should be brown.
  3. The presence of a plate between the hat and the leg. If it is damaged and uncovered, then the mushroom was harvested a long time ago and has already managed to deteriorate.
  4. The cut on the leg. If it is dark and dry, then the fruit body is spoiled.
  5. Smell. It’s normal if the smell of the mushroom is pleasant and fragrant. In the event of a smell of dampness, rot or chemistry, the product must not be used as food.
  6. Surface density. Fresh mushrooms are characterized by elasticity. If the surface is slippery, then the mushrooms are spoiled.
  7. Pulp. If you open the inner fiber and look at the cut, then it should have a light shade. Darkening indicates spoilage of the product.

All varieties of mushrooms grown in the forest absorb a lot of toxins, salts and radiation, so buy only those products that are grown in environmental conditions.

Storage rules

If you yourself picked mushrooms in the forest, then they must first be washed and cleaned. To increase the shelf life, they must be pickled, salted or dried. This will allow for a long time to preserve taste, aromatic and healthy properties. You can use the blanks at any time to prepare a delicious dish (they can be cooked, fried and stewed). Pay attention to how champignons can be stored in the refrigerator. If desired, fresh champignons can be placed in the freezer. First they need to be soaked for 30 minutes in clean water. After this, cooking is carried out for 40 minutes. Cut into small pieces or leave whole. Place in plastic bags and store in the freezer.

Champignons collected in the forest are characterized by short shelf life, which is 3-4 days. If you bought the product in the store, then you can use them for 10-11 days. Exceeding these terms leads to the fact that the product begins to blacken.

Video: How to store champignons


Despite the huge amount of nutrients in the composition (vitamins and minerals), champignons can cause severe harm to human health. They contain chitin, which the body is not able to digest, therefore it is forbidden to use mushrooms for children whose age is less than 12 years.

Given that the amount of chitin is high (about 7% dry matter), it can cause problems in the gastrointestinal tract. For this reason, try to eat fruiting bodies of mushrooms no more than 3 times a week. Also read our electronic magazine about growing mushrooms at home.

It is also not recommended to use the product if you suffer from the following diseases:

  • ulcer and gastritis;
  • hepatitis;
  • cholecystitis;
  • diarrhea and pancreatitis.

Contraindications indicate that champignons should not be eaten by those people who suffer from individual intolerance to the substances contained in their composition. Fortunately, such cases are extremely rare.

Did you know? Champignon is considered the most common cultivated mushroom. In 2015, over 10 thousand tons were collected in Russia (37% of the total).

Symptoms of champignon poisoning

The most common symptoms of champignon poisoning are as follows:

  1. Acute pain in the abdomen.
  2. Cold sweat.
  3. Diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
  4. Total body fatigue.
  5. Headache.
  6. Hallucinations and poor perception of what is happening.
  7. Labored breathing.
  8. Yellowness of the skin and eye proteins.
  9. Blood pressure drops.

The first signs of mushroom poisoning appear within a few hours. Depending on the body’s immune system, this range is 2–20 hours. First of all, a person's body temperature rises. If you immediately contact the hospital with such symptoms, then you may be diagnosed with food poisoning. Did you know? Champignons are considered a low-calorie product, so they are included in various diets. Despite the low calorie content (20 kcal per 100 g), they are able to saturate the body with useful vitamins and minerals.

If you do not immediately begin to eliminate the symptoms, then a toxic effect on the body manifests itself, so specific symptoms often arise:

  • dry mouth
  • vision problems (objects blur, may darken in the eyes);
  • difficulty swallowing;
  • speech impairment (voice changes).

First aid

First of all, you need to call a doctor. Further assistance to the victim consists in washing the stomach. He must be given plenty of clean water to drink (at least 4 liters). If a person has strabismus, then it is better to prepare a manganese solution (1.5 liters of water and 0.5 tsp. Manganese). The patient should drink the medicine in small sips. It is necessary to drink the solution until food appears in the vomit.

If the victim does not have diarrhea, then it must be called. To do this, give him a weak saline solution with a small amount of laxative. After that, let him drink activated carbon. The norm is 1.5 tablets per 1 kg of body.

Learn more about mushroom poisoning. If a person suffers from hypotension (low blood pressure), then you can not use these first aid methods. Such methods are also prohibited in case of seizures or loss of consciousness.

After diarrhea, vomiting and fever, dehydration begins. In such cases, the patient is given droppers with special solutions in the hospital. Since it is difficult to find them at home, it is allowed to use ordinary strong tea, which the victim must drink before the doctor arrives.

So, now you know what are the signs and causes of darkening of champignons. It is important to properly store mushrooms so that they not only do not lose useful properties, but also do not interfere with the functioning of internal organs. Therefore, if they begin to darken, then they can no longer be consumed. At the slightest manifestations of poisoning, you should immediately consult a doctor so as not to provoke a fatal outcome. Spoiled foods should always be thrown away.

Interesting Articles