Is it possible and how to eat propolis in its pure form?
Among other products, bees create propolis: after collecting the resin, they turn it into a sticky mixture for patching the hive. Due to its antimicrobial properties, propolis also disinfects the hive and prevents disease outbreaks. About whether it can be used internally and how to do it correctly, and will be discussed in our review.
Can propolis be chewed in pure form?
If propolis is in solid form, then this medicine does not need to be swallowed. To ensure the assimilation of beneficial properties, it must be chewed and absorbed in the mouth until completely dissolved.
Did you know? Propolis has been known since ancient Greece and Rome. In the Middle Ages, interest in him almost fell and remained only in folk medicine, but scientists were able to prove its usefulness only at the beginning of the 20th century.
After the experiment, researchers from the University of Minnesota found that bees living in propolis-covered nests had a more “calm” immune system compared to colonies without such coverage. Although bees do not eat propolis, it plays a key role in their immune system.
Thanks to the same properties, it can improve the state of the immune system and the general well-being of the human body. Propolis consists mainly of tar (50%), wax (30%), essential oils (10%), pollen (5%) and other organic compounds (5%). However, its composition varies depending on the colony, season and region as the vegetation with which bees collect honey changes.
- It was found that the drug in question has the following properties:
The use of propolis every day provides a person with higher productivity and energizes, although this is a subjective sensation based on the opinion of those who took the indicated remedy.
Did you know? From 3100 BC e. the bee was used as a hieroglyph meaning ancient Egypt. From the earliest times, the gods were also associated with bees, and one of the titles of the pharaohs was “The Bee King”.
Useful and healing properties
Propolis is a natural adhesive tape that protects the wound surface from bacteria, so it is used for medicinal purposes not only inside but also externally. To do this, check the skin reaction to the active substance, lubricating a small area and keeping it for 5-15 minutes. If there is no redness (an allergic reaction), then you can apply the product on acne or on the skin as a mask.
The product is effective for strengthening immunity due to the fact that it stops the activity of pathogenic microflora. Due to immune-supporting factors, propolis can block various parasites, even if you are not sure about the presence of a parasitic infection.
- In addition to strengthening immunity and expelling parasites, propolis also:
- improves digestion;
- reduces unpleasant symptoms in the stomach;
- treats infections, inflammation, gastrointestinal disorders, including gastritis;
- relieves inflammatory processes of the mucous membranes;
- helps to cure tuberculosis;
- heals wounds and ulcers;
- cleanses and strengthens the body;
- helps in the treatment of colds;
- reduces allergy symptoms.
- Taking the product orally daily for 6–13 months reduces outbreaks of peptic ulcer.
- The use of a 3% propolis ointment 5 times a day can help reduce the healing time and pain from all types of herpes.
- Within 10 days with a 4-time use of the ointment, genital herpes is treated.
- The ointment also helps in treating minor burns. It is recommended to apply every 3 days.
- The extract treats infectious diseases, including intestinal ones.
- Rinsing the mouth 5 times a day for 1 week can improve healing and reduce pain and swelling after surgery on the oral cavity.
- Rinsing 3 times for 7 days helps reduce inflammation and improve the healing of ulcers, including those caused by chemotherapy.
- All-natural propolis toothpaste provides a powerful healing effect on the oral cavity. You can also apply a paste with propolis extract several times a day.
- It is not addictive, so it can be taken as long as the course of treatment lasts. It also goes well with other treatments.
Important! Propolis will become liquid at temperatures above + 20 ° C, and at lower temperatures it becomes hard and brittle.
Possible harm and contraindications
The drug is considered safe when applied orally or applied to the skin.
But since this is a product of the activity of bees, which may contain pollen, it can not be used for persons with:
- allergies to bees or bee products;
- bleeding disorders.
If you take the drug in the system, but you have surgery, then 2 weeks before the operation, you must stop taking the product, which allows the body to restore the correct clotting speed. The date in order to start taking the drug again should be checked with your doctor.
Propolis-containing tablets can cause irritation in the presence of lesions of the oral mucosa, so they are also taken with caution, especially those who have undergone surgery on the oral cavity.
How to chew
In solid form, propolis can be softened in the mouth. It is sucked like candy, or chewed with teeth. If you are sick of the taste of the active substance, take it in capsule form.
Important! Do not forget that propolis is a resin. If you have tooth decay, use any other form of the remedy than solid so that the product does not get stuck in your teeth.
Propolis, depending on the purpose, can be used in different forms:
- alcohol tincture;
- spray and aerosol for the mouth, nose and throat;
- ointments for skin care;
- toothpastes, shampoo and soap;
- natural propolis;
The correct dose depends on several factors, such as the patient’s age, state of health, and others, so it is better to prescribe the dosage with your doctor. Keep in mind that natural foods are not always safe, and dosages may be important.
- from 1 to 3 g as a prophylactic;
- 3 to 5 g as a medicine.
Before or after a meal?
The time of taking the drug depends on the organ that is being treated:
- all rinses and inhalations are performed 2 hours before or 1 hour after eating;
- for the treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract - 1 hour before a meal, so that the active reagents are released and begin their work;
- in other cases, the time of reception does not matter.
How long does it take to chew?
In time, this can take 5-10 minutes to give the opportunity to dissolve and assimilate the main active ingredients. Also, the duration depends on the size and hardness of the piece you chew. There are no fundamental requirements for chewing time.
Did you know? The word “propolis” comes from the Greek words “for” (in defense or for) and “policy” (city), thus, the translation of the word is “in defense of the city”. Propolis protects the hive as a sealant and promotes thermoregulation in it.
How many days to chew?
As a means of prevention, propolis can be chewed daily for 1-3 g. For medicinal purposes - follow the schedule that the doctor determines. The duration of the course can vary from 2 weeks to 2 months. In this case, colds are treated faster than others - within a week, and stomach diseases - longer than others, up to 2-3 months.
Can I swallow?
The drug in question can be swallowed, but you need to keep in mind that propolis is a resin, and it will not dissolve in the intestine on its own, which means it will not bring benefits. You just learn the part that will be closer to the surface of the piece, so it is important to carefully chew the drug or use its other form.
Can I use
Propolis is an ingredient in which pollen may be present, which is the most dangerous allergen. When taken orally, it is practically non-toxic and can be used by all people. It also does not cause irritation when applied to the skin. However, in order to avoid a negative reaction, it should not be used for allergy sufferers.
It is also worth noting that the product may be partially recommended for use by vulnerable categories of people - people with asthma or poor blood clotting.
At the same time, when it comes to diabetes, propolis was recognized as suitable for regulating the patient’s condition back in 1988: its properties for stabilizing blood sugar levels were proved.
There is not enough reliable information on whether the use of propolis during pregnancy or breastfeeding is useful. Try to refrain from taking so as not to provoke an allergic reaction, even if you are not allergic.
Did you know? There are speculations that Antonio Stradivari was used to polish his famous violins.
For the prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in children, syrup is used - 50 mg / ml. The daily volume is 250-375 mg. It is recommended to be taken daily for 12 weeks.
In solid form, this medicine does not need to be given to children: their teeth are still not strong enough to chew it. In addition, they may not like the taste of this substance, so choose liquid forms of the drug or capsules.
- 1 g per day for preschool children;
- 2 g per day for schoolchildren.
It is important not to forget that bees make propolis not as a product, but as a building material, therefore it is not a food or nutritional supplement. You should not use the substance in larger quantities than the recommended doses, and you can notice an improvement in the condition of the body in a few days.