Hypoesthes Flower: Home Care
Among the numerous indoor plants, there are many decorative species with unusual leaves or flowers. Hypoesthes, a guest from the hot tropics of Africa and Madagascar, to whom our material is devoted, belongs to this number.
Botanical description of the plant
Hypoesthes is an evergreen herbaceous shrub up to 60 cm high, compact and leafy. Foliage is decorative in the plant: heart-shaped or oval with a pointed tip, with carved or serrated-serrated edges.
Attractive foliage gives an unusual color:
- white or lilac freckles on a green background;
- red or pink, lilac background with a green edge and partially veined;
- white leaf with green veins;
- a bright pink center, a darker frame, along the edge a light green tone.
|Leaf shape||Ovoid, cordate|
|Leaf color||Bicolor, speckled|
|Flower color||Lilac, red-white|
Did you know? Bioenergy argues that it is useful to keep hypoesthes in people at home in creative professions. The flower is able to activate creativity, give inspiration and positive energy.
The main types
In total, there are about 150 species of plants, but not more than a dozen varieties and their hybrids are grown in culture.
Most popular indoor views:
- Hypoesthesia leaf - stalked - has dark green leafy plates, oval-elongated with uneven edges, violet spots are randomly located on the upper part. Blooms in the winter, petals of a lavender hue.
- Blood red - a branched, short (up to half a meter) bush, with large, up to 8 cm in length, oval-shaped leaves with a sharp tip. The main color of the sheet is bright red, veins and the edge of the plate are painted dark green. The flowers are pale red, the pharynx is white.
- Spinous - tall species, up to a meter high, bred mainly in greenhouses or gardens. Heart-shaped, large, pubescent leaf blades of green color without inclusions. Differs in magnificent blossoming of white and violet color.
- Hypoesthes confetti - a species that combines several varieties that differ only in color palette. Leaf plates can have spots of white, raspberry, burgundy, lilac shades.
- Splash - combines two varieties with a white and pink background, only the edging of a leaf and veins is painted green.
- Hypoesthesia leaf - stamen - characterized by a very thin structure of leaf plates, they feel paper by touch. No less interesting is the color: the central vein is bright pink, gradually turning into a saturated lilac color, the edge of the sheet is painted in green.
House growing conditions
It is best to choose a confetti hypoesthes or mix, as it is also called: it is less moody in leaving. In addition, the collection will replenish with different colors of plants with one type of content.
To decorative foliage also include plants such as caladium, cordilina, adiantum, diplladation, brachychiton, asplenium.
In the cold season, southeastern or southwestern window sills are chosen for maintenance. In the summer, it is possible to keep in the fresh air (balcony, porch), provided there is no draft. From the direct rays of the sun, the flower needs to be shaded, since succulent leaves are prone to burns.
For uniform development of the bush, the pot must be regularly turned to the light source in different directions.
The temperature range for this plant is from +18 to +25 ° C. It is not recommended to deviate from these values: the plant may become sick, discard leaves or inflorescences. The period of rest in hypoesthesia is often absent, but it must be illuminated during the short daylight hours, extending it to 10-12 hours.
The optimum humidity is 60–70%. To maintain this condition, hypoesthesis are sprayed in the heat twice a day, in winter 1 time is enough. You can place the pot on a tray with moist expanded clay. In summer, the plant can have a warm shower.
Immediately after purchase, the plant needs to be adapted, therefore, it is transplanted into a new tank after two-week quarantine.
For irrigation use warm (+ 22–25 ° C), preferably standing water. If the tap water is too hard, it can be softened at home. To do this, add wood ash in a proportion of 3 g / 1 liter of water.
The best method of watering is considered to be spraying a soil coma or irrigation from a watering can. In this case, excess liquid from the pan must be drained. In the summer, hydration is carried out once every 2 days, in autumn and winter - 1-2 times a week. Drying of the soil is not allowed.
From spring to autumn, the flower is fed once every 3-4 weeks. When choosing fertilizer, preference is given to ready-made complexes for flowering ornamental plants with a large amount of potassium and a significantly lower dose of nitrogen.
Important! Potassium is necessary for hypoesthesia to bloom and brighten the color of foliage. But nitrogen, more precisely, its excess, can lead to loss of spots and a general dull appearance.
Cardinal pruning is carried out in the spring, leaving short shoots at the surface (about 3 cm). Cropped stems are not thrown away: they can be used as planting material.
Despite the fact that the plant is blooming, flowers do not play any role in decorativeness: they are too pale and small, so experienced flower growers recommend removing inflorescences so that the plant does not waste energy on flowering to the detriment of the development of bright foliage.
The transplant is carried out in the spring, the plant just bought - 2 weeks after purchase. The bush grows rapidly and branches perfectly, so the procedure is carried out every 2 years.
Soil is preferable to take neutral or slightly acidic, light, nutritious, with good throughput.
Self-prepared substrate consists of such components (in a ratio of 2: 1: 1: 10):
- garden land;
- coarse sand;
Find out how and when to transplant indoor plants.
A flower container can be purchased from plastic, light and heavy pots made of natural materials are optional. For an adult plant, the new pot should be 1.5–2 cm larger than the previous one. The shape can be any, but the size needs a wide rather than deep capacity.
Fine gravel or foam can be used as drainage.
- A 1.5 cm layer of drainage is placed at the bottom of the pot.
- The bush by the method of transshipment is removed from the old tank.
- The roots of the hypoesthesia are fragile, so the old earth is shaken off very carefully.
- Sprinkle drainage with a layer of soil, lay a bush, holding with your hand.
- Fill the tank with soil at the edges, slightly tamp.
- After abundant watering, the remaining liquid is drained.
- The flowerpot is placed in a warm place with diffused lighting.
For seed propagation, planting material is purchased in a store, since flowering is rarely allowed at home. After flowering, the plant is greatly extended, which detracts from its decorative effect. More often propagate the bush by cuttings.
Cuttings can be carried out in spring and summer. The apical shoots that remain after anti-aging pruning will do.
Important! A healthy stalk should have at least two nodes.
The soil mixture is prepared the same as for an adult plant. For rooting, the cuttings are planted in plastic cups, covered with a glass jar and placed in heat (+ 22–25 ° C).
After 10-14 days, a young specimen is dived into a pot, removing a seedling with a spoon, capturing part of the soil. During growth, pinch the top to stimulate the development of lateral shoots.
Sowing is carried out in early March. As a container, you can use a food-grade plastic container with a lid. The soil is made up of sand and peat in equal proportions.
Seeds before sowing are kept in any growth stimulator (Epin, Zircon) for about 12 hours.
- The substrate is moistened from a spray bottle.
- Seeds are scattered on the surface with a thin layer, without deepening, slightly sprinkled with soil.
- The lid is closed and left to mature for up to 14 days.
- During this period, regular ventilation is necessary, the temperature of the content is + 13–18 ° С.
- After 2 weeks, the greenhouse is opened and dive seedlings in separate cups.
Did you know? Some African tribes use leaves of hypoesthesia instead of spinach, preparing various salads from them.
Some inaccuracies in care can lead to complications in growing the flower.
Common problems and solutions:
- The foliage dries at the tips, wrinkles and twists with a boat - dry air (possibly close proximity of heating appliances). To maintain the necessary humidity, you need to spray the space around the flower.
- Dry brown spots on the leaves - a sunburn. The flower must be shaded from the direct rays of the sun.
- Foliage flies around - sudden changes in temperature, lack of watering. It is necessary to observe the temperature regime, watering is carried out until the soil is completely moistened (without swamping). Water for irrigation should not be cold. Eliminate possible drafts.
- Leaf plates lose color impregnations, acquiring a plain green color - an excess of nitrogen. Bushes are actively developing even without fertilizing with nitrogen, the substance is added in minimal quantities. Decorative support fertilizers with potassium content.
- The bush extends in one direction - uneven lighting. The pot must be regularly turned in different directions to the light source.
- The bush is pulled up - neglect of pinching.
- The foliage turns yellow and fades - excess moisture. Moisten the soil as its top layer dries, drain the remaining liquid from the pallets.
Hypoesthes is one of the few indoor plants that have strong immunity. Due to non-compliance with the maintenance regime, the development of root rot is possible. In this case, the bush must be transplanted, with a complete replacement of the soil. In the future, the frequency of watering should be observed.
In the warm period of the year, when the street is kept or aired, the plant can be attacked by pests, the most common of which are:
- spider mite.
Prevention from whitefly butterflies will be sticky tapes suspended near the plant. You can fight them with the help of insecticides ("Actara", "Decis") or garlic infusion (if there are few insects). For infusion, take a large head of garlic per liter of water, insist for several days. For use, 200 ml of infusion is diluted with water in an amount of 400 ml.
All that is necessary for the successful cultivation of a tropical flower is compliance with the microclimate and the rules of care. Unusually bright foliage of hypoesthesia will become an additional decoration of the interior, painting your house with bright colors.