How to use pregnant chickpeas: is it possible or not
Lamb chickpeas are also called Volozhsky, Turkish, lamb or walnut peas, nohut . Bean culture is popular in oriental cuisine; vegetarians include it in their food. The fruits of the plant are recommended for use during pregnancy.
Lamb peas - chickpeas, main characteristics
Chickpea has great nutritional value and is a dietary product.
Chemical composition and calorie content
100 g of product contains 309 kcal. Nutritional value is as follows:
- proteins - 20.1 g;
- fats - 4.32 g;
- carbohydrates - 46.16 g;
- dietary fiber - 9.9 g;
- water - 14 g;
- ash - 3 g.
|The vitamin content in 100 g of lamb peas:||Mineral composition:|
|A - 0.015 mg||potassium - 968 mg|
|beta-carotene - 0.09 mg||calcium - 193 mg|
|B1 - 0.08 mg||silicon - 92 mg|
|B2 - 0.212 mg||magnesium - 126 mg|
|B4 - 95.2 mg||sodium - 72 mg|
|B5 - 1.6 mg||sulfur - 198 mg|
|B6 - 0.535 mg||phosphorus - 444 mg|
|B9 - 0.557 mg||chlorine - 50 mg|
|C - 4 mg||boron - 0.54 mg|
|E - 0.82 mg||iron - 2.6 mg|
|K - 0.009 mg||iodine - 0.0034 mg|
|PP - 1.54 mg||cobalt - 0.0095 mg|
|-||Manganese - 2.14 mg|
|-||copper - 0.66 mg|
|-||molybdenum - 0.06 mg|
|-||nickel - 0.206 mg|
|-||selenium - 0.0285 mg|
|-||titanium - 0.228 mg|
|-||zinc - 2.86 mg|
Of course, the described product is consumed in heat-treated form, has a slightly lower concentration of useful elements and calories at the level of 164 kcal / 100 g.
Did you know? Lamb peas are grown by mankind for more than 7 thousand years. Its remains were discovered by archaeologists in the Neolithic sites.
Useful and negative properties
The rich chemical composition gives lamb peas many valuable qualities.
- Enumerate its useful properties for a long time.
- It contains easily digestible vegetable proteins, which makes this product desirable in the diet of vegetarians and vegans, athletes.
- Dietary fiber promotes regular bowel movements.
- It includes a wide range of B vitamins and minerals necessary for normal growth and metabolism, the formation of the fetus.
- It has antioxidant activity, which affects the aging process (slows down).
- It improves the appearance, since it has beneficial effects on the skin, improves hair growth and strengthens nails. People who often use this product have clean skin, without rashes and other problems.
- Reduces the likelihood of cardiovascular disease, reduces "bad" cholesterol.
- Chickpeas and dishes from it have a low glycemic index (within 10–35 GI). This makes it the recommended foods on the diabetic menu.
- It activates mental and physical activity.
- Strengthens the human skeleton and increases the body's defenses, useful for anemia.
- It has a positive effect on the nervous system and helps fight depression.
Unfortunately, there was a negative - the product contains purines and oligosaccharides that cause increased gas formation.
Important! Reducing the tendency of chickpeas to gas formation will help to soak it in water the night before cooking.
Contraindications and side effects
- This product is contraindicated in the following health problems:
- individual intolerance to the product (rare);
- kidney stones and gall bladder;
- acute pathological conditions of the gastrointestinal tract;
- cystitis and ulcers in the bladder, especially in the acute stage.
- When using the product, the following side effects of lamb peas should be taken into account:
- The ability to gas. Therefore, the product should be limited or excluded with dysbiosis and flatulence.
- Nursing mothers should be careful with the product - it can cause colic in the baby, therefore it is not recommended in food in the first months after birth.
- It is considered "heavy" food and acts irritatingly on the mucous membranes. Its use should be discontinued with exacerbated conditions of the gastrointestinal tract and urinary system, especially with ulcers.
- It is able to increase the content of uric acid in the blood.
Chickpeas in pregnant diet
A valuable dietary product, like chickpeas, is not only permitted in the diet of pregnant women, but is recommended by them.
Useful Use Factors
Chickpea is a valuable source of folic acid (vitamin B9), the need for which during pregnancy increases by 2 times. With its deficiency, there are risks of developing fetal pathologies and problems with the restoration of the future mother’s own cells. The first signs of a lack of this vitamin are nervousness, fatigue and a decrease in appetite in a pregnant woman.
Did you know? 100 g of chickpea seeds contains 139.3% of folic acid from the daily allowance, and after cooking, it decreases to 43%. Most of this important vitamin is contained in its seedlings - 162.5%.
Chickpea contains vitamin B6, the need for which increases by 30% during gestation. Its lack causes early toxicosis - nausea, vomiting, irritability, poor sleep and loss of appetite. The presence of such a trace element as iron, the need for which doubles during the period of expectation of the baby, protects the woman's body from anemia. The product contains zinc, which is necessary for the normal course of pregnancy and the development of the fetus. The presence of calcium, easily digestible protein and other trace elements positively affect the adequate formation of the child. Slow carbohydrates satisfy hunger and give strength.
If the expectant mother is worried about bloating and heaviness in the stomach, then she should refuse gas-forming and heavy food, including chickpeas. She should soak the chickpeas at night before preparing dishes from it, and even better would be to use germinated grains for food. When you include chickpeas in the diet, you should familiarize yourself with the contraindications . They are the same for a pregnant woman as for everyone - gout, problems with the bladder, thrombophlebitis, urolithiasis and gallstone disease.
Learn about celery during pregnancy.
When germinating lamb peas, the amount of oligosaccharides, which are gas-forming factors, decreases in it and the proportion of useful substances - vitamins and amino acids - increases. Such a product is eaten raw, which means that it retains all the vitamins in it.
Choice of chickpeas for germination
There are several types of chickpeas, but the most common are:
- kabuli - with large light peas;
- desi, having a slightly darker color, a dense shell.
You will be interested to learn about the features of eating cabbage during pregnancy.
To germinate mutton peas, do the following:
- Wash the seeds and select the defective.
- Soak the peas for 8-10 hours so that warm water covers them well. This is usually done at night. The ratio of seeds to water for swelling is 1: 3.
- In the morning, the water is drained and the beans are washed well.
- Then the peas are spread on a flat surface and covered with a wet towel, which is slightly squeezed. Periodically, the towel is again wetted in water and squeezed a little.
- After 1.5-2 days of soaking, the product can already be used in food.
Germinated lamb peas can be stored on the shelf of the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
The use of seedlings
Germinated lamb peas can be used as an independent snack, make hummus, and can be used as an ingredient for salads, cocktails. Chickpeas go well with fresh vegetables. You can cut tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, greens, add a few tablespoons of sprouted Turkish peas, season with olive oil and lemon juice. Bean product in harmony with seaweed, olives, any greens. It can be served with meat and fish dishes.
Germinated grains can be fried and boiled, but it is more useful to eat raw.
Sprouted chickpeas have the same contraindications as ordinary chickpeas. To a lesser extent, it promotes gas formation, but acts irritatingly on the digestive organs.
Learn about the benefits and dangers of eating onions during pregnancy.
Chickpea tastes like nuts and has a creamy texture. The most popular dishes from it are hummus, falafel and curry. Bean culture goes well with vegetables. From Turkish peas you can cook delicious soups, salads, stew with vegetables. Due to its high vegetable protein content, vegetarians use the crop as an alternative to meat products. It is indispensable during fasting.
Chickpea flour does not contain gluten, but it makes baking hearty and tasty. From such flour excellent pancakes, pancakes, flat cakes are obtained. In Italy, local pastries are made from it - farinatu.
A very popular oriental dish. This is a hearty, tasty and very healthy snack. In Israel, hummus is eaten with bread and other baked goods.
Did you know? Chickpea " hails " from the area located on the territory of modern Turkey and Syria. This is the interfluve of the Tigris and Euphrates. There and now grows his wild ancestor. Ingredients:
- chickpeas - 100-110 g;
- tahini paste - 25-30 g;
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- lemon juice - 3-4 tbsp. l .;
- olive oil - 2 tbsp. l .;
- paprika powder - 0.5 tsp;
- zira - 1/4 tsp;
- salt, pepper - to taste.
- Soak chickpeas overnight in cool water. Then change the water and cook in a saucepan for 1.5 hours.
- After cooking, pour the excess water into a separate bowl, as it can come in handy to adjust the desired density of the dish.
- Grind boiled peas and garlic to a pasty state in a blender. If there is time, then it is better to bake garlic, then the taste will be softer.
- Then add tahini paste, butter and lemon juice. If the hummus turned out to be too tight, you need to pour in a little water, which remained after boiling the Volozhsky peas.
- Season hummus with spices. In a mortar, grind zira, coriander, black pepper, paprika and add to the dish, mixing well.
- Place the resulting mass in a deep salad bowl and garnish with greens.
- chicken stock - 1.5 l;
- chickpeas - 1 glass;
- spinach - 2 large bunches;
- onions - 1 pc.;
- garlic - 7-8 cloves;
- tomato - 2 pcs.;
- fresh basil - 4-5 branches;
- hard cheese in grated form - 6 tbsp. l .;
- olive oil - 5-6 tbsp. l;
- salt, black pepper - to taste.
- Soak the lamb peas in water for the night (for 7–9 hours). Steamed grains are placed in the broth and cook over low heat for 1.5 hours.
- Cut onion, finely chop the cloves of garlic.
- Scald the tomatoes with boiling water, and then place them in cool water. Remove the skin and cut the pulp into small cubes.
- Lightly fry chopped onion and garlic in olive oil.
- When the chickpeas are ready, toss the tomato cubes into the broth, frying the onion and garlic. Boil over low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Then put chopped spinach in the broth, and after another 20 minutes add chopped basil, salt and pepper to taste. After 5 minutes, remove the saucepan from the stove.
- Before serving, sprinkle with grated cheese or add a poached egg.
Learn also about the features of the use of prunes during pregnancy.
Stewed chickpeas with vegetables
- chickpeas - 100 g;
- tomatoes - 200 g;
- fresh bell pepper - 200 g;
- carrots - 100 g;
- onions - 50 g;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- salt, black pepper: to taste;
- chili pepper powder - on the tip of a knife;
- hops-suneli - 1 tsp
- Boil soaked at night chickpeas in the morning, changing the water 3 times. Boil for 1.5 hours.
- Finely chop the vegetables, and grind the carrots on a grater.
- Passion the onion with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Then toss the chopped vegetables and stew until cooked, add 1 tablespoon of ketchup.
- Add boiled lamb peas, salt, spices to the stewed vegetables and let stand over low heat for about 5 minutes. At the very end of cooking, sprinkle the dish with chopped herbs.
- chickpeas - 3/4 cup;
- avocado - 1 pc.;
- tomatoes - 2 pcs. medium size (you can take 7-8 pcs. cherry tomatoes);
- garlic - 2-3 cloves;
- lemon - 0.5 pcs.;
- olive oil - 2 tbsp. l .;
- fresh herbs, salt, pepper - to taste.
- Soak the chickpeas in cool water overnight. Then boil it for 1.5 hours and cool.
- Sliced tomatoes and avocados.
- Grind greens.
- In a bowl, mix boiled peas with vegetables and herbs. Make a mixture of olive oil, juice of half a lemon and garlic. Then add this dressing to the salad and mix.
- Transfer to a salad bowl and garnish with halves of olives.
Chickpeas are beneficial for pregnant women because they are a valuable source of folic acid, zinc and other essential trace elements. It will bring the greatest benefit in the sprouted form. When a bean crop is included in the menu, its contraindications and side effects on the body should be taken into account.