How to restore wilted roses at home
It happens that a bouquet of roses received as a gift quickly fades in the apartment. Flowers dear to the heart can stand up to several weeks, if provided with competent care. This article is about how to prevent the unexpectedly quick withering of a pink bouquet. In addition, we will consider ways to resuscitate cut roses that have already begun to wither.
Primary processing of roses
The fragrant roses brought to the house need to be adapted to new conditions, especially in the winter months. So that they can withstand minimal climate change with minimal damage, let the unpacked bouquet stand for a couple of hours in the room with the lowest temperature. Next, you need to inspect the roses and conduct their primary processing. Expand the cellophane and remove the tape holding the stems together. Using a sharp knife, peel the bottom of the stems (about a third of the length) of thorns and leaves. This measure is important because the delicate parts of the plant immersed in water will rot.
Most suitable for roses is spring or melt water. You can use a water analog, just let it stand for a day. There is less chlorine in such water, and you will reduce its effect on delicate petals. Roses love space, their stems should not be closely pressed against each other. Opt for wider vessels. A vase may be of any material other than metal.
Did you know? The oldest rose on the planet is in Germany. This is a 1000-year-old plant near the cathedral in Hildesheim, almost reaching the roof of this building.
It is preferable to use a vessel made of dark glass, because under the influence of sunlight in a transparent container, bacteria spread faster. Two-thirds of the stems should be immersed in water, so pick a tall vessel for them. Before use, wash the container thoroughly with detergent and rinse thoroughly under running water.
How to care for roses at home?
Cut flowers need care at an early stage when they are just bought. Caring for such flowers is significantly different from caring for roses in a pot.
Basic care for fragrant flowers in a vase is to follow the following simple rules:
- Change the water periodically (once every two days) to prevent the accumulation of bacteria that contribute to the rapid death of flowers. Do not forget to also keep the vase clean by removing plaque from its inner walls.
- Before immersing the stems in fresh water, renew the cuts by 2 cm. You should also remove the leaves, which, as the plants shorten, appear in the water.
- The ideal temperature for roses is + 18 ° C. If the house is very hot, take the bouquet for at least 2 hours to the coolest and wettest area in the house (for example, to the bathroom).
- Spray the bouquet from the sprayer regularly.
- Responsibly choose a place where the bouquet will stand. Keep the flowers in the shade - the sun should not be allowed to influence the roses. Fresh flowers must not be placed near radiators. Also beware of window sills with open windows - through winds are destructive for this culture.
- Location in the vicinity of fruit is dangerous for roses. This is especially true for apples, apricots, pears and bananas. The listed cultures emit ethylene, toxic to roses, accelerating their decay.
Reasons for wilting roses
Knowing the causes of wilting roses will prevent mistakes in the future, among the main reasons can be identified:
- temperature difference - flowers from the cold were immediately brought into a warm apartment;
- high temperature in the room;
- improperly performed slice, as a result of which the plant did not fully receive nutrition;
- decay of the lower leaves or the place of cut;
- inappropriate location;
- through winds;
- poor water quality in the vase;
- hypothermia during transportation - without proper rehabilitation, frozen flowers will soon fade.
Methods of revitalizing roses
The following procedures will help to keep cut roses in good condition for about a month.
Important! Water should cover the entire green part of the plants. At the same time, the buds must be immersed in water at least half.
Let's start with the proven method - a simple bath with cold water helps restore roses. This method is especially effective for the flower composition of the "second" freshness. First, cut the ends of the flowers, get rid of the lower branches and leaves. The next step is to lower the plants into the bathroom overnight. In the morning, after extracting the plants from the water, allow all excess fluid to drain.
Using boiling water
The following method will help keep the roses for another week. So, if the flowers are already noticeably wilted and need quick resuscitation, try immersing the lower part of the stems in cool boiling water. But pre-wrap the buds with a soft cloth to protect them from steam. Submerge in boiling water no more than 2-3 cm of the stem. Keep plants in boiling water for no longer than 2-3 minutes. The part of the stem that has undergone such “shock therapy” will darken - cut it off with secateurs. Immerse the living part of the stem in cool water.
You can also revive the roses with cold. To do this, wrap the entire bouquet (from flower heads to ends) with a damp towel, then carefully wrap in a newspaper. It is important that the leaves are not damaged in the process. Send the wrapped bouquet to the refrigerator for the night, preferably on the lower or middle shelf. In the morning you can get flowers and enjoy their freshness. This method allows you to quickly return flowers to life - the plants will look like new, just cut.
Learn about the smallest varieties of roses.
To start, wash the fruits of the potatoes thoroughly. Stick the cropped stems into fresh root crops. The nutritious and moisture-saturated flesh of the potato will give a second chance to flowers, and even for a long time without nutrition and fairly dried specimens. Potato juice can also be poured into the water under the flowers to make it more healthy.
This method, involving the use of alcohol, allows you to save even a very withered bouquet. Dilute alcohol with water (0.5 tbsp. L of alcohol per 1 liter of water). Then pour the same amount of ammonia into the water. Dip the flower stems in the resulting composition, and soon you will see a positive result.
Read also about the most fragrant and fragrant varieties of roses.
Another simple method of flower rehabilitation in a bouquet is the use of liquid bleaching agents or detergents for dishes. Just pour a few drops of the available product into the water. It is advisable to add detergent during the next water change.
In conclusion, we give a few tricks that allow you to quickly revive the floral arrangement of roses and significantly extend the life of the bouquet:
- Adding sugar to the water where the flowers stand (1 tsp. Per 1 liter of water) allows you to extend the life of the bouquet. In addition, sugar nourishes plants, giving them new strength.
- Place a few tablets of activated carbon at the bottom of the vessel. This helps in disinfecting the water and keeping it clean.
- To protect the cut flowers from premature drying, put a spacious polyethylene bag on the bouquet overnight sprayed with water from the inside. Or cover the flowers on all sides with damp paper.
- If the bouquet was bought as a gift in advance and you need to keep it for several days, place it in the refrigerator. However, the flowers should be away from the ventilation openings, from where cold air enters the refrigerator. But before you put the flowers in the cold, you should wrap them with a towel, then newspaper or paper.
Important! If you use a bleaching agent, bleach must certainly be in its composition. At the same time, do not allow bleach to get on the petals, since bleach can leave a whitish, unattractive coating on them.
Now you know what measures should be taken to extend the life of a pink bouquet. We hope that the tips presented will help you reanimate wilted roses, and a luxurious fragrant bouquet will stay in your apartment for as long as possible.