How to properly handle cucumbers with brilliant green and iodine
Many summer residents often wonder how to protect cucumbers in their area from diseases and pests. In addition, each gardener wants to get the maximum yield without excessive chemical treatments of the plot with fertilizers. Both of these tasks can be solved with the help of well-known improvised means - zielonka and iodine. About how and why it is necessary to process cucumbers with these agents and how antiseptics can be used to enrich the soil with necessary useful compounds, later in the article.
Why gardeners use iodine and zielonka
Zelenka and iodine are known for their antiseptic properties. In addition, they include copper compounds, as well as potassium and phosphorus, which are necessary for all vegetable crops, which are necessary for cucumbers for active growth and an abundant harvest of fruits. Iodine has a rejuvenating effect on the plant and can save it from wilting.
- soil disinfection;
- treatment of fungal diseases;
- stimulation of the formation of a large number of ovaries;
- healing of mechanical damage, cracks and breaks on the stems;
- strengthening the root system;
- increase crop yields;
- stimulation of rapid leaf growth.
With the integrated use of these funds, the positive effect of their effects is enhanced. But you need to consider that the need for cucumbers in iodine is low, and therefore, when processing it is necessary to use a small amount.
Did you know? Zielonka was accidentally obtained back in the 19th century, when a young London chemist William Perkin worked on a cure for malaria. At first it was used by the weaving industry for dyeing fabrics, and only later the antiseptic properties of the solution were noticed.
Advantages and disadvantages of Zelenka and iodine
There are many different chemical fertilizers and medicines for spraying and watering cucumbers, the use of which gives a good result. But almost all of them can settle in the soil or concentrate in the fruits, making them less tasty and healthy.
- Using greens and iodine for spraying cucumbers has several advantages:
- low price and availability of funds;
- lack of harm to drugs for humans;
- low consumption of material when processing cucumber sprouts;
- universality - with the help of these two antiseptics you can cure a wide variety of diseases and enrich the soil near cucumbers with useful elements;
- the possibility of using these funds for processing other vegetable crops grown in the garden;
- the formation of beneficial lactobacilli when using an iodine solution with the addition of milk or serum;
- strengthening plant immunity;
- high effectiveness of funds in compliance with the specified proportions.
The disadvantage of antiseptics is that they contain alcohol and in case of an overdose can cause burns in cucumbers.
Learn how to properly handle cucumbers with boric acid.
How to process cucumbers with brilliant green and iodine
These funds can be used as fertilizers, for the prophylactic spraying of cucumbers or for the treatment of diseased plants. For this, an aqueous solution is prepared according to one of the recipes, which are discussed further in the article.
- the recipe for preparing an aqueous solution of antiseptics for spraying cucumbers depends on the purpose of the treatment;
- for preventive spraying of plants, the solution must have a low concentration;
- on average, 5–10 ml of greens and a few drops of iodine per bucket of water are used to spray cucumbers;
- for the treatment and prevention of diseases, an aqueous solution of the agents is usually sprayed over the cucumbers using a spray gun;
- to fertilize the soil, you need to water it with a prepared solution of antiseptics, cucumbers are watered under the root;
- the time interval between watering or irrigating a plant is usually 6–15 days.
To fight diseases
Zielonka and iodine are among the available folk remedies to combat the diseases of cucumbers. At the same time, zielonka has an antiseptic effect, and iodine stimulates the restoration of a plant after an illness. Experienced gardeners note that after the first treatment of cucumbers with these agents, the condition of the diseased plant improves.
From root decay
Root rot is a serious disease and can completely ruin a crop. Zelenka and iodine can be used to treat and prevent this disease.
- To treat a diseased plant, the solution is prepared in proportion: 10 drops of green leaves and 2 drops of iodine per 1 bucket of water. Spraying is carried out with an interval of 7-10 days.
- For the purpose of prevention, cucumbers are treated with an aqueous solution of zielonka (the recommended dosage is 1 drop of substance per liter of water).
- Preventive spraying is carried out twice a season - before the formation of fruits and after harvest.
- To treat root rot, you need to dilute the broth in water (1: 2 ratio) and thoroughly smear with the obtained solution 10-12 cm of the base of the plant stem, starting from the surface of the earth. The procedure is repeated every 3-4 days until the basal rot is eliminated.
Powdery and False Mealy Dew
Powdery mildew and downy mildew are another common disease in cucumbers. These diseases lead to damage to the leaves of the plant, as a result of which the crop dies. For the prevention and treatment of these ailments, you can also use zelenka and iodine.
Did you know? In its dry form, zelenka is a golden-green crystals. The scientific name of the product comes from the Latin term “viride nitens”, which means “shiny green”. The processing options for cucumbers and the basic rules of this procedure are as follows:
- For therapeutic spraying of cucumbers, you need to dissolve 10 ml of green greens in 2 l of whey and add 40-50 g of urea. All ingredients are thoroughly mixed and poured into a bucket of water. The resulting medicine can be used to irrigate diseased plants.
- You can treat diseased plants with a soap solution with iodine. To prepare it, add 2 tsp to 5 l of water. soap (you can use both liquid and household), 12 drops of iodine and 500 ml of serum. Cucumbers are plentifully irrigated with the obtained agent, which instantly destroys the spores of the fungus. The presence of soap impurities in the solution helps to achieve better adherence of the mixture to the surface of the leaves and the stem of the plant.
- Cucumbers can be sprayed with a solution of 9 liters of water, 10 drops of greenery or iodine and 1 liter of low-fat milk. In this way, healthy and diseased plants can be treated. In the first case, the procedure is carried out with a preventive purpose, and in the second - for the speedy cure of the disease.
- A good effect is obtained by treating cucumbers with a solution prepared from 2 liters of milk and 10 ml of iodine or brilliant green. It is used to prevent powdery mildew and is sprayed on the ground of cucumbers.
- The treatment of cucumbers with the solutions described above for the purpose of prevention should be carried out no more than 3 times in one season: before the flowering of the plant, after its completion and 7-14 days after the appearance of the first ovaries.
- When using antiseptics for the treatment of diseased plants, the interval between two consecutive treatments should be from 7 to 10 days.
Against late blight
Tomatoes and cucumbers growing on the site can be affected by late blight. For the treatment of diseased plants, a folk remedy prepared using iodine or brilliant green is successfully used.
To prepare a solution for spraying cucumbers affected by late blight, in a bucket of water you need to dissolve 20 drops of zielonka and iodine. Processing plants is carried out every 1.5–2 weeks in the evening.
Important! To completely eliminate late blight on cucumbers, 2 to 3 treatments of the plant with the indicated antiseptic solution are required .
Due to the high content of copper, potassium and phosphorus, Zelenka and iodine can be used as fertilizer. Provided that they are used correctly, these products will certainly increase the yield of cucumbers. As a result of processing, the plants will develop well, and the fruits will grow large and beautiful. Zielonka will help enrich swampy soils with copper, which are characterized by a low level of this element.
Video: Feeding cucumbers with iodine and brilliant green
But even when growing cucumbers in fertile soil, it is useful for plants to receive regular top dressing. Fertilize cucumbers with solutions is necessary only in warm weather. Before applying dressing, plants must be watered with a small amount of water.
To increase the yield of cucumbers, you can water or spray them with antiseptic solutions. This procedure will positively affect not only the number of fruits, but also their size and good appearance. After processing, characteristic pimples appear on the cucumbers, which add attractiveness to their appearance.
- For spraying use a weak aqueous solution of brilliant green or iodine (for 1 liter of water you need only 1 drop of the product). Processing is carried out at the end of the flowering period.
- To stimulate the formation of a large number of ovaries, cucumbers are watered with a weak iodine solution (3 drops of the drug per 10 liters of water). Such treatment should be carried out before the beginning of the flowering period, and watering should be done strictly under the root.
- In order for the cucumbers to acquire a saturated green color and grow large, they use top dressing from greenery and bread sourdough. To prepare it, the loaf is soaked in a bucket of water for 10-12 hours, and then a couple of drops of brilliant green are added to it. Before use, the solution is filtered and watered with cucumbers under the root.
Find out what to do if the leaves are cucumber in yellow spots.
Antiseptics are often used to treat young seedlings of cucumbers. These products stimulate the development of sprouts and help young seedlings better adapt to open ground conditions.
- Pour seedlings with a solution of 1 liter of warm, settled water and a couple of drops of iodine to stimulate their growth.
- To prevent fungal infections, after the sprouts reach a height of 10 cm, you need to wipe the stems with a concentrated aqueous solution of brilliant green or iodine, prepared in a 2: 1 ratio.
- For accelerated seedling growth, spraying with a solution consisting of 30 drops of iodine diluted in a bucket of water can be carried out. To the mixture add 1 liter of milk and 20 g of grated laundry soap. The frequency of treatment is 1 time in 1.5–2 weeks.
For green tops
Timely and proper processing of cucumbers with a solution of zelenka or iodine helps to build up a lush green mass. In order to make the cucumber tops beautiful and bright, you need to follow these recommendations:
- To restore damaged stem cells and leaves, they are treated with an aqueous solution of an antiseptic. For its preparation, 3 parts of water and 1 part of greenery or iodine are mixed. The product is applied to damaged areas of the plant.
- You can spray the tops with a solution prepared from iodine and bread. For 1 bucket of water, 1 loaf and 1 small (standard) vial of iodine will be required. In the evening, bread should be soaked in water. In the morning, iodine is added to the obtained sourdough and the prepared fertilizer is filtered before use. Cucumbers can be processed in this way no more often than every 2 weeks.
- Before the start of the active growth period, you can pour the cucumbers under the root with a weak aqueous solution of iodine (a few drops of the product per 1 bucket of water).
Features and differences of processing
It's no secret that the cultivation of cucumbers in a greenhouse and in the open ground has certain differences. They are due to the fact that in a greenhouse and in the open air, cucumbers are in different conditions of humidity, lighting and air temperature. Consider the main features of the processing of cucumbers with antiseptics separately for each of the options for growing plants.
In the greenhouse there is an increased risk of infection of cucumbers with root rot. This is due to the fact that in a greenhouse, air humidity is always increased. If you add to this excessive watering of plants and the lack of air circulation in the structure, then you can not avoid decay of the roots of cucumbers.
Did you know? Iodine got its name from the Greek word "iodine", which translates as "purple, violet." It is this color that has the gaseous form of this element. When growing cucumbers in a greenhouse, special attention should be paid to the preventive treatment of root rot. It is carried out using a solution prepared from 10 l of water, 10 ml of iodine and 2-3 drops of brilliant green. All ingredients are mixed, the resulting solution is poured into a spray bottle and carefully sprayed with cucumbers in a greenhouse.
Cucumbers in the open ground
When grown in an outdoor cottage area, cucumbers can be sick with a variety of diseases or require intensive dressing with useful substances, therefore, treatment of plants with antiseptics in this case is carried out according to the rules described above, depending on the specific situation.
The following recommendations can be attributed to the general recommendations for processing "street" cucumbers:
- spray plants only in the early morning or before sunset, when there is no direct sunlight. If you process the cucumbers in the afternoon, then the solution will cause burns on the leaves;
- Do not irrigate plants with the described solutions of antiseptics in rainy weather. A solution of zelenka and iodine takes time to soak into the stem and surface of the leaves, and rain can wash it off, and processing will not bring the desired result;
- when watering cucumbers with the described means for fertilizing, you must not allow the solution to get on the green shoots and leaves - this can cause chemical burns on them. Watering must be done strictly under the root of the plant.