How to propagate chlorophytum at home
Chlorophytum is popular in indoor floriculture because of its unpretentiousness and rapid growth. He is considered one of the best plants that effectively cleans the room. How to propagate this flower will be discussed in our article.
Brief description of the plant
Chlorophytum is a herbaceous perennial belonging to the asparagus family or, according to some sources, to agave. It has drooping stems in the form of arcs and long linear mottled or plain leaves that are bundled. Plant height does not exceed 50 cm.
Chlorophytum blooms in spring or summer with small white buds collected in inflorescences in the form of an ears. After flowering on the mustache formed on the stems, children are formed with a leafy rosette and aerial roots. The genus of chlorophytums unites about 200 species.
Did you know? Chlorophytum is able to destroy up to 80% of pathogens and harmful substances that are in the same room with it. It neutralizes formaldehyde vapor, carbon monoxide and nitrogen, toluene and benzene.
Optimal conditions and breeding times
Reproduction must be planned for early spring. However, if required, you can spend it in the summer. After planting, the flower must be placed in a place with diffused light.
During the first 1.5 weeks of adaptation, just such a location will be the best for active growth and development. In the future, the plant will be able to grow well both in a sunny place and in the shade. The only thing on the sunny side is the color of its leaves will be brighter.
The temperature of the content for the flower does not matter. It can, without harm to decorativeness, endure lowering the thermometer to + 8 ° C and increasing to + 32 ° C. The flower also does not put forward any demands on air humidity. Does not need spraying.
Preparation for landing
To plant chlorophytum, you need to choose the right pot, soil and drainage. The pot must be purchased in accordance with the size of the root system. Take it "for growth" is not worth it, it will adversely affect the appearance of the plant. The tank must have drainage holes, a drain pan. The optimal material of the pot is opaque plastic.
Important! When growing chlorophytum, such errors should be avoided: selection of too large a pot, planting in excessively nutritious soil, placement in a place with excessive lighting.
The flower grows well in purchased universal soil. But it shows a great decorative effect in the soil prepared by hand.
For the substrate you need to mix:
- turf soil (3 parts);
- sheet soil (2 parts);
- sand (1 part).
- turf soil (2 parts);
- sheet land (2 parts);
- humus (1 part);
- sand (1 part).
The optimum acidity of the soil is 6.1–7.5 pH.
The prepared substrate will need to be steamed in a water bath or calcined in the oven (microwave) at a temperature of +90 ... + 100 ° С. For steaming, the soil is placed in a colander covered with gauze in several layers, which is then installed over a pot of boiling water. The procedure should be carried out from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Another way to disinfect is to water with a pink solution of potassium permanganate. Before landing, a 2-cm layer of expanded clay, pebble, crushed brick, coarse sand is laid at the bottom of the pot.
Propagation of chlorophytum at home
To multiply chlorophytum, you can choose one of 4 ways:
- Divide the bush.
- Root root leaf sockets.
- To plant air kids.
- Sow the seeds.
Bright representatives of chlorophytum are curly and crested.
Dividing the bush
This method of propagation is used for mature plants whose age exceeded 4 years. Carry it during the spring transplant.
The procedure looks like this:
- Extract flower from pot.
- Clear the roots of the earth.
- Divide the bush into several parts.
- Cut the roots with a sharp disinfected knife.
- Powder slices with charcoal or activated carbon.
- Seedlings in separate containers filled with recommended soil.
Rooting leaf sockets
Rooting of root leaf sockets or layering is done in those varieties that do not form a mustache.
The landing process is very simple:
- It is necessary to separate the leaf outlet from the mother plant.
- If she has roots, then plant immediately in a pot.
- If there are no roots, put in a container with water for rooting, and then transplant into a moist soil.
Video: Propagation of chlorophytum leaf sockets
Rooting by air sockets on the mustache is done without separating them from the mother plant.
The technology is as follows:
- Place next to the pot, where the flower grows, another container with soil substrate.
- To dig in the soil a young, small-sized baby with 4-5 leaves.
- To fix it.
- Perform regular watering.
- After rooting (after about 3-4 weeks), separate the baby from the mother plant.
- Plant in a permanent place in a pot with good drainage.
If you chose reproduction by seeds, then you need to make such manipulations:
- Place the planting material in a damp cloth for 24 hours.
- Prepare containers with sand and peat substrate.
- Place the seeds in the soil, deepening by 0.5-0.7 cm.
- Humidify from a spray bottle.
- Cover with foil or glass.
- Place in a room with a temperature of + 22 ... + 25 ° С.
- Produce daily airing and regular moisturizing.
- After the appearance of sprouts, usually after 1–1.5 months, remove the shelter, gradually accustoming the seedlings to new conditions of detention.
- After the formation of 2-3 sheets, pick in separate containers.
Important! The seed method of propagation of chlorophytum is the most troublesome and unreliable. Seed germination is 25–40%.
Chlorophytum does not require much attention from the owner. It should be regularly, but not often watered, fed and transplanted. The recommended amount of watering is once a week. In the summer, the number of hydrations should be increased to 2 times a week. Watering should be done with settled, filtered, thawed or rain water at room temperature. After planting, the first watering is done after 10 days.
During the growing season, the flower needs fertilizing with mineral fertilizers. They need to be made once a month. Fertilizers for cacti are well suited for chlorophytum, it is also possible to make universal dressings.
The volume of the container into which the plant has just been planted will fill the roots in about 1.5–2 years. It is then that he will need to select a new, more voluminous capacity and transplant.
To form a beautiful and well-groomed crown, as well as to prevent the development of diseases, the flower must be periodically trimmed. Timely removal of dried leaves, faded buds, deformed shoots is required.
Did you know? Contrary to popular belief, tequila is not made from cacti, but from the core of blue agave, which, together with chlorophytum, is part of the same agave family.
Diseases, pests and other growing problems
A huge plus of growing chlorophytum is its resistance to diseases and damage by harmful insects. This happens only if the owner ignores the recommendations for care, selection of the pot, tillage before planting.
Possible plant diseases:
- Spotting - occurs when infected with a fungus. For its treatment, copper-containing preparations, Gamair, Fitosporin-M, are used.
- Root rot - occurs when the roots are filled and the plant is kept in cool temperatures. To eliminate it, a transplant is required.
The soil will need to be carefully removed from the roots, diseased roots must be cut off, healthy ones should be treated with a fungicide, for example, Fitosporin-M. Then the flower must be planted in a new pot and new soil. If most of the roots are affected by rot, then the plant cannot be reanimated. It will be necessary to propagate it and grow new flowers.
We recommend reading how to plant indoor flowers in a pot.
Of the pests, chlorophytum most often affects:
- Aphid. It is a miniature insect that is difficult to see with the naked eye. It lives on the lower leaf plate. It feeds on plant juices.
The first symptoms of the presence of an insect are yellowing of the foliage. Later it twists and falls. With a strong infection, the plant dies. With a small spread of pests, it is necessary to treat the aerial part of the plant with a soap solution. In advanced cases, treatment with insecticides will be required: Akarin, Inta-Vir, Fufanon, Fitoverm, Aktara.
Thrips. These small insects up to 2 mm in size of black, brown or yellow color with 2 wings leave holes on the leaves.
Due to their harmful vital activity, brown spots are subsequently formed on the leaves, and the stems are deformed. Their reproduction is facilitated by dry air. The flower is treated with insecticides treated with Actellik, Inta-Vir, Fitoverm, Aktara and others.
Shield. The shield can be seen on the stem. This is a small insect with a shell.
Like aphids, it sucks the juice from the plant. The first symptoms of the appearance of the scale are sticky fluid on the trunk. Destroy it by scraping with a brush. Acetic wipes are also effective, rubbing with tincture of garlic, red pepper. In case of severe infection, they resort to chemical treatment using Fitoverm, Actellik, Metafos.
If a plant is uncomfortable in the place where it grows, or if he lacks something, he may experience the following changes in appearance:
- Drying leaf tips. This is due to the fact that the plant is contained in a too dry and hot room, and it is watered a little. To solve the problem, you need to raise the humidity and set the watering regime.
- Blanching, yellowing, wilting of foliage. This change can provoke several factors: high temperatures, lack of nitrogen or light. It is necessary to establish the exact cause and eliminate it by lowering the temperature in the room, setting the pot in a brighter place, by feeding.
- The appearance of brownish-brown spots on the leaves. Low temperature, excessive watering, contact with direct sunlight - these are the factors that lead to the formation of spots. Damaged sheets must be removed, and the recommended microclimate should be installed in the room.
- Lack of flowering. May occur due to plant growth in a cramped or oversized pot. To correct the situation, a transplant into a container of appropriate size is required.
So, chlorophytum is an indoor plant that is easy to care for and which is easy to propagate. Subject to the recommendations for planting and care, it will be able to decorate the home for 8-10 years.