How to pickle winter corn in jars
Corn is easily prepared for the winter in a pickled form - both in grains and on the cob. Such products have excellent taste and are stored for a long time. How to pickle a vegetable will be discussed below.
Pickled and canned: what is the difference
In fact, preservation is an extensive concept that includes methods for the long-term storage of vegetable products using various methods:
- pickling - with the use of pickles, including citric acid, vinegar and other preservatives that do not allow foods to spoil for a long time;
- salting - using saline;
- pickling - using salt and sugar.
Important! A good way to preserve corn kernels is to dry freeze. In this form, its shelf life is 12 months.
All these methods differ from each other mainly by the duration of storage. The best option is pickling products. It allows you to save vegetables for 1-3 years.
How to choose corn for preservation
Check the vegetable for quality:
- Pay attention to the juicy foliage on the cobs and the color of the hairs - the more juicy the foliage and the brighter the hairs, the younger the cob.
- On a peeled cob, try crushing one grain with your fingernail - if it has released milk juice, you can safely use the products for pickling, otherwise it is possible that even after cooking the grains will remain stiff.
Suitable pickling varieties:
- Tasty Gold F1;
- Trophy F1;
- Spirit F1;
- Dobrynya F1;
- Gourmet 121;
- Voronezh and others
How to Pickle Corn for the Winter
You can pickle corn for the winter as a whole or by separating the grains. Regardless of the chosen method, harvesting the cobs needs to be thoroughly cleaned of leaves and hairs, then shorten the tip by 4-5 cm. If you do not do these manipulations, the brine will turn black.
Did you know? Corn is not only a food product for humans and animals. It is actively used in the manufacture of machine oils, glue and even in the manufacture of plastic.
In the grains
For pickling in grains, the following ingredients will be required:
- 10 ears
- 60 g of sugar;
- 5 peas of black pepper;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 25 g of salt;
- 30 ml of 9% vinegar.
Then follow the instructions:
- Immerse the peeled corn cobs in water (for the convenience of subsequent cleaning, you can cut them into parts).
- Boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Fold the corn in a colander.
- Once cool, separate the beans with a sharp knife.
- Put the corn in jars and pour boiling water to the top in which it was cooked.
- After 25 minutes, drain the water back into the pan.
- In the water, add all the spices with vinegar and boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the cans with brine and roll them.
Video: pickled corn kernels
On the cob
To prepare pickled ears, take the following ingredients:
- 4 heads of cabbage;
- 600 ml of water;
- 400 ml of wine vinegar;
- 40 g of salt;
- 2 small chili peppers;
- 120 g of sugar;
- a bunch of celery;
- 1 medium onion head.
Learn how to quickly and properly peel corn at home.
Having prepared all the products, proceed as follows:
- Pour water into a deep pan, add vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Boil the mixture until sugar and salt are completely dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Cut the corn into narrow rings or put the whole in jars.
- Chop the onion thin enough, chop the celery and pepper.
- Add the chopped products to the corn and pour in the jars of marinade.
- Roll up the jars, cool and cover them with plastic lids and refrigerate.
Video: canned corn on the cob
In glass jars, pickled products can be stored for 2-3 years, subject to the following conditions:
- location - a darkened cool room, a refrigerator door or a cellar;
- temperature - 0 ... + 6 ° С;
- humidity - 40-60%.
Important! When stored on shelves located on the refrigerator door, the life of the product is reduced to 1 year.
Some helpful suggestions:
- You can improve the taste of pickled products by replacing ordinary vinegar with citric acid. To replace 100 ml of 9% vinegar, dilute 25 ml of citric acid in 75 ml of water;
- overcooked ears can also be used for preservation - to eliminate stiffness, you need to cook them for 30 minutes, and then do all the manipulations according to the recipe.