How to make compote from white grapes?
You can extend the pleasure of sweet grapes for the whole winter, for this it is enough to cook a delicious canned compote. Below are the best recipes made from white grape varieties.
Useful properties of white grape compote
Fruit and berry compotes normalize the metabolism and strengthen the immune system. White grapes are a source of potassium, iron and calcium, as well as vitamins C, A, Group B and K, however, some of them are lost during heat treatment.
- The use of white grapes also adds these properties:
- beneficial effect on the work of the heart;
- purification and normalization of the circulatory system;
- antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect.
Which varieties are better to choose?
For compote, any grape variety is suitable - both table and technical.
The most delicious berries with a high degree of sugar content have the following varieties:
- White raisins;
- Gift Zaporozhye;
Nutmeg varieties will add a characteristic flavor to the drink, and the taste of sweet and sour berries can be balanced with other fruits or sugar.
A prerequisite for the preparation of canned products is the selection of high-quality raw materials. The grapes must be fresh, with no signs of rotting or disease. Berries damaged by birds or wasps are not recommended. Before starting the preparation, the berries are thoroughly washed, paying special attention to the varieties with pits.
Did you know? The word " compote " is of French origin and originally meant a fruit and berry mixture in a thick sweet syrup, sometimes flavored with spices.
For each recipe, you must properly prepare the container. Compote canned in glass jars of various capacities, most often from 1 to 3 liters. They can be closed with “twist” caps or simple, for fixing which you need a special sealing key. The bank itself must be absolutely intact, without internal cracks and chips. The covers should be new, and on the covers made of unpainted metal there should not be any traces of rust.
The container must be thoroughly washed and sterilized in one of four ways:
- In a pan put a special lattice or other limiter, pour water and bring to a boil. The jar is placed on the grill upside down so that the steam completely douses the vessel from the inside for 15–20 minutes. Also cap is sterilized. Banks rearrange on a clean cloth upside down and cool.
- You can sterilize the container by placing it in a pan and also filling it with water. Water should boil for 15 minutes, and at the bottom it is better to put a wooden board.
- For sterilization, a double boiler or multicooker is suitable, in which they put containers and lids for 15 minutes. Banks in the multicooker need to be filled with water by about 1/3 and heated until steam appears.
- Microwaves can also be used to disinfect glass. 1-2 cm of water is poured into the jar and put in the microwave at maximum power until it boils and the necessary steam appears. If the jar does not fit in the oven, it can be placed on its side.
- Washed wet cans can be put upside down in the oven and heated at a given temperature of + 100 ° C for 40 minutes or up to + 150 ° C for 15–20 minutes. This method is convenient because you can load a large number of cans, but you need to make sure that the overheated glass does not burst.
The best white grape compote recipes
Among the many recipes, the basic version should be distinguished using the sterilization process of the compote itself. Below is a detailed step-by-step instruction for such a recipe, as well as several other popular variations of the useful workpiece.
Recipe number 1
Ingredient Steps 3
- The berries are stacked in jars, filling them in 1/3 of the volume.
- The water is heated, sugar is poured out and the mixture is brought to a boil.
- Jars of grapes are poured over the neck with hot syrup and covered with lids.
- In this form, the compote is sterilized in the oven (without rubber gaskets for covers) for 15–20 minutes at a temperature of about + 100 ° C to + 120 ° C. Glass put in a cold oven.
- You can also use sterilization in a saucepan by placing cans with compote on a stand and pouring them on the shoulders with hot water. Having covered the pan, it is heated to a quiet boil over low heat and the workpieces are processed for 20–25 minutes.
- The sterilized jars are rolled up and gradually cooled.
Important! In some recipes add a whole bunch of stalks and twigs that give a special tart taste. Such compotes must be sterilized!
Recipe number 2
Ingredient Steps 3
- Pour grapes into a third of the volume of the jar and pour boiling water for 15-20 minutes.
- Water is poured into a saucepan, sugar is added and brought to a boil.
- Banks are poured with hot syrup and rolled up with lids.
- The blanks are turned over and put on the lid, gradually cooled.
Recipe number 3
Ingredient Steps 2
- grape berries
in the amount necessary to fill a three-liter can half
- Washed berries are placed in a jar “on the shoulders”.
- Gradually pour a jar of boiling water under the neck.
- Sterilize the compote in an oven or saucepan with water, as described in the basic recipe.
- Roll up the jar with a lid and cool.
Did you know? Even in perfectly canned foods, a process of interaction between sugars and amino acids occurs. It is harmless, but the color of the product gradually darkens.
Recipe number 4
With the addition of other fruits
Apples are peeled and sunflower seeds and cut into slices. Further cooking corresponds to the basic recipe. In the same way, compote is prepared with the addition of plums, oranges or pears. For a variety of flavors, you can use cinnamon, cloves and star anise.
Features and storage rules for compote
Canned preparations must be stored in a dark, dry and cool place (from 0 ° C to + 15 ° C). The first 2-3 weeks after canning, be sure to check the junction of the lid with the jar. If a leak is detected, the contents must be removed and sterilization repeated. The appearance of bubbles in the compote or sharp turbidity indicates the appearance of microflora inside, which you can try to destroy by repeated boiling for 10 minutes.
You will be interested to know how to close compote from grapes for the winter without sterilization.
Then the product must be used immediately. If the can with the compote “exploded, ” then it is completely corrupted. Use a closed billet for 1-2 years. After opening, the product is closed with a plastic lid and stored in the refrigerator. White grape compote is a healthy and tasty harvest that deserves an honorable place in the home pantry. Combining grapes with other fruits, you can get new original desserts for every taste.