How to grow a rose in potatoes
The true decoration of any flowerbed or garden and the true pride of every gardener are the independently grown chic rose bushes. But not everyone manages to get along with these rather demanding colors. Especially difficult is often the process of their reproduction and rooting. And not everyone knows that potato fruits can help in this matter. It is in potatoes that pink cuttings are the easiest to germinate.
Growing roses in potatoes
Propagation of roses by cuttings in a potato tuber is a whole technological process. Like most similar processes for growing other crops, it has not only positive aspects, but also negative ones.
- Positive aspects of growing cuttings of roses from potatoes:
- the simplicity of the procedure compared with other methods;
- subject to all technological rules and norms, even a stalk from a bouquet can take root;
- potatoes provide the shoots of roses with a sufficient and balanced level of moisture, oxygen and nutrients, especially at the initial stage, unlike other methods of growing: when planting a chubuk directly into the soil - it can dry, when you try to germinate in water - it can begin to rot;
- potato is a kind of protector of flowers from various kinds of harmful effects.
- This method has some disadvantages:
- not suitable for germination of all pink varieties (for example, weaving roses cannot be grown from potatoes);
- used to root only flowers with a straight stem;
- often, seedlings after replanting in open soil take root poorly, even despite the roots well rooted in potatoes, and this happens in 15% of cases;
- Difficulties in choosing a suitable place for growing without drafts and strong gusts of wind, with nutritious, undeveloped soil and a sufficient level of lighting, without constant exposure to sunlight.
When can I root a rose?
The optimal period for cuttings of rose bushes is the end of spring - the beginning of summer, when the flowers have not yet managed to bloom. Then rooting will take place in the summer, when the conditions are most favorable for the development of the root system of any plant. In autumn, the flower will get stronger as much as possible, and winter colds will not be so scary for him.
Important! Not fully ripened roses are not suitable for receiving cuttings from them. To check the degree of maturity of the plant, you need to try to break off the spikes: they can break off at mature stems, and on green ones they will only bend. Strong stems with live leaves are suitable for propagation.
How to plant a rose stalk in potatoes
Roses can be planted both in open space and at home. There are no special difficulties with the procedure of placing the Chubuk in the potato, the main thing is the quality of the selected material, the correct mechanism for carrying out work on its preparation and the creation of optimal conditions for rooting.
As in any other business, preparing for the main process is half the success. The preparatory work for rooting a pink chubuk in potatoes includes the preparation of tools, the selection and preparation of potatoes and flower cuttings, soil, and, if necessary, the selection of a pot.
What tools are needed
In the process of growing rose cuttings in potatoes, no special tools are required, except:
- a knife;
- shoulder blades.
Preparing the ground and pot
If you want to grow a queen of flowers with potatoes in a container, you need to choose the right pot. It should be medium in size, and the lower parts of plastic bottles may be suitable for these purposes. It will not be superfluous to disinfect the pot with hot steam or boiling water. Drainage should be emptied to the very bottom of the dishes, after it - a layer of sand with a thickness of 3 to 5 cm. After that, the container is considered ready for placing a cuttings with potatoes in it.
Did you know? "C" is a variety of the smallest roses in the world the size of a grain of rice.
An important role for the effective rooting of rose cuttings is played by the state of the soil. For this, a special soil mixture is suitable, which can be purchased at the store. When using ordinary garden soil, it should be fed with mineral fertilizers, humus. It is also worth disinfecting it by placing the composition in the freezer for several days, after which the ground should be thawed. The procedure is similarly repeated several times.
The restoration of soil microflora is facilitated by treatment with the Fitosporin preparation or other similar means. All this will make the soil ready for further steps to plant rose shoots in potato tubers.
Rose and Potato Processing
The result of the propagation of roses in a similar way largely depends on the proper preparation of both pink cuttings and potatoes. You can count on success provided you use cuttings of a rose that has not yet blossomed, having a thickness of at least half a centimeter. Otherwise, the positive outcome of rooting the rose stalk will be in doubt. Potatoes in this case are a source of essential nutrients and moisture for rose stalks, so they must be fresh.
When preparing the cuttings, the following manipulations are carried out:
- all leaves and spikes are removed from the stem intended for receiving the handle;
- trimming of the apex by a secateurs or sharp scissors, even at right angles, without the possibility of crushing the stem, from below the cut passes at an angle of 45 degrees;
- it is possible to divide the resulting stem into several parts so that at least 3-4 kidneys remain on each;
- planting material is processed in a biostimulator or a solution of 1 tablespoon of honey and 200 ml of water;
- shoots are treated in a weak solution of potassium permanganate for several hours.
Important! The cut at the top is best done at a distance of 1 cm above the last remaining kidney, and from below - 2 cm to the lower remaining kidney.
When preparing potatoes should:
- pick large and fresh fruits without damage and any signs of disease;
- remove the eyes so that the potato does not start to sprout and does not take nutrients from the flower.
Rooting technology step by step
In winter, rose cuttings in potatoes are planted in pots, during procedures in warmer times - they can be planted immediately in the open ground. Did you know? Regular inhalation of pink aroma promotes goodwill and poise, uplifting. The stages of the technological process for rooting:
- Preparing the cuttings.
- Potato preparation.
- Preparing the pot or choosing the best place for planting.
- Soil preparation.
- After all the preparatory manipulations have been carried out, the flower stalk is stuck in the potato to about the middle, after which it is completely ready for planting in the ground.
- When planting in open ground, you need to dig a bed in width - from 30 cm, in depth - from 20 cm.
- Water the soil.
- Planting future flowers in prepared soil, when planting in open ground, cuttings are placed at a distance of no more than 20 cm.
- Pour the tubers with the soil mixture, place a little black soil on top, humus with peat, at the end - a small layer of sand.
Video: How to grow a rose in potatoes
After the planting procedure, it is necessary to create a greenhouse effect for the seedlings for faster and more efficient engraftment by covering them with plastic bottles and glass jars. At first, it is necessary to produce regular almost daily watering of the planted tubers with future roses, since the soil should be distinguished by sufficient moisture.
After 5 days, rose seedlings should be poured with a sugar solution (2 tablespoons of sugar in 1 cup of water). This recharge contributes to a more productive formation of the root system. The presence of sunlight at the rooting site of seedlings helps to grow a full-fledged rose bush rather.
After the appearance of the first sprouts, you need to start removing the protective shelter from plastic, glass or cellophane from the seedlings, gradually making them longer in the open. So the seedlings will quickly and without problems go through the process of adaptation to environmental conditions.
Did you know? Natural rose oil is the most expensive in the world and is more valuable than precious metals.
As a result of competent care, rose cuttings are ready for transplanting from pots into open soil, and when initially grown in open ground, they are planted in a permanent place. As experience shows, it’s sometimes easier to root a rose stalk than to save it after transplanting to a permanent place of cultivation, so you should try to transplant no later than before autumn, so that the seedling has time after rooting to better prepare for the winter period.
When transplanting rose seedlings to a permanent place, some rules should be remembered:
- the soil must be nutritious, the place suitable for cultivation;
- it is necessary to dig seedlings with sufficient accuracy and carefully remove potato residues from them, without harming the root system that has appeared;
- when transplanting to a place where flowers will be grown continuously, it is necessary to carry out almost the same procedures for fertilizing, disinfecting, and moistening the soil as when planting cuttings for rooting;
- closer to the winter period, seedlings should be reliably covered with leaves, branches and conifer needles.
Roses are beautiful flowers, but growing, and most importantly, being able to propagate them is not easy. Therefore, gardeners are trying to find new ways and methods to make friends with these beautiful, but quite picky plants was much easier. Potatoes in this business became a real find, and such an extraordinary combination of these two cultures could bring unexpected results.