How to feed cucumbers with yeast
To increase the yield and strength of the plant, it is necessary to fertilize vegetables with fertilizers at different stages of their development (from germination or transplanting of seedlings into the soil to fruiting). Recently, among summer residents, the method of yeast feeding cucumbers, which has a wide range of useful substances, is popular.
Why are cucumbers in the greenhouse fed with yeast?
In the practice of growing cucumbers in greenhouse conditions or in hotbeds due to the characteristics of the closed ground (lack of sunlight, high humidity and air humidity), it is important not only to control temperature conditions and humidity, but also to make timely feeds with necessary stimulants.
Important! In the absence of nutrients, young gherkins in their development will begin to slow down. Gardeners can use a wide range of fertilizers, both organic and mineral, to feed cucumbers.
Fertilizers prepared with food yeast can manifest themselves as a growth activator, the so-called biologically active vegetable supplement. This is due to the fact that the resulting solution is similar to a powerful vitamin cocktail.
The chemical composition of the soil affects the correct selection of all the necessary components of yeast dressing.
Depending on the type of soil, you can make the right choice of all the necessary components, as well as with greater accuracy determine the necessary composition of fertilizing.
It is necessary to highlight the main 3 prerequisites, due to which it is possible to carry out appropriate top dressing of cucumbers in closed ground based on yeast:
- Firstly, for better rooting of young seedlings, yeast recharge should be made. It is also necessary to remember that after its introduction, young seedlings most easily tolerate picking.
- Secondly, a well-developed root system will allow seedlings to receive all the necessary nutrients for their development, therefore, dressing should be applied at the plant growth stage.
- Thirdly, the soil is saturated with micronutrients and essential vitamins. The soil, which was previously saturated with fertilizers, is affected by microorganisms that participate in the decomposition of organic matter, enriching it with all the necessary elements.
Advantages and disadvantages of the method
According to practicing gardeners, yeast is not entirely correct to call fertilizer. This is most likely a good biologically active plant growth stimulator.
Did you know? The largest cucumber was grown by Alph Cobb. The gardener achieved that the vegetable reached 91.7 cm in length.
Yeast is a biological substance of a multifunctional type, which is used in many areas of human life. Yeast, in essence, is a unicellular fungal organism with a fairly rich content of nutrients and trace elements
Yeast comes in three forms:
- “Fresh” (traditional pressed);
- liquid suspension (yeast milk);
- Highlights the following benefits of yeast recharge:
- Yeast replenishment has an effective effect on the soil, rearranges its chemical composition, which leads to the activation of beneficial microorganisms.
- The growth of cucumber tops is accelerated, which leads to their violent flowering (bud formation) and an increase in fruit-bearing ovaries.
- Top dressing leads to the fact that seedlings become more resilient in conditions if there is insufficient sunlight in the greenhouse or greenhouse.
- In the process of interaction of yeast with warm water, abundant growth of roots and the entire vegetative mass of the plant occurs.
- The survival period of seedlings in a new place is reduced due to an increase in the root system.
- A steady increase in plant immunity occurs, which leads to a decrease in its susceptibility to a variety of fungal diseases.
- Such top dressing does not require large financial costs, and this procedure is not time-consuming in its preparation and use.
Did you know? In nature, there is a herbaceous plant of the genus Mad Cucumber (Ecballium). It belongs to the Pumpkin family, and its feature is the property of rapidly dropping seeds.
- Along with the features of using yeast top dressing, there are also several disadvantages:
- The minimum shelf life of the stimulant solution, because of which it must be used for half a day from the date of manufacture.
- It is necessary to carry out yeast top dressing of cucumbers no more than 2-3 times a season.
- If the yeast feed does not have time to act and ferment, which often happens in the cold, then this feeding will not be effective. Successful yeast fermentation requires heat. To do this, it is advisable to provide for the greenhouse with a coating of a special material, which glass and polycarbonate are perfect.
Experienced gardeners recommend feeding cucumbers using yeast twice during the growing season:
- At the end of fertilizing with nitrogen-containing fertilizers, which is carried out approximately 7 days after transplanting young seedlings to permanent beds in the ground, the first feeding should be carried out.
- Before blooming (opening) the fruit ovary, after phosphorus fertilizer, provided that superphosphates have not been applied to the soil since autumn, gardeners carry out a second recharge.
Important! If cucumber seedlings exhibit sluggish growth and poor development, regardless of the growing conditions, it is necessary to feed the plant every 10 days.
After eating, the vegetative mass, the number of fruit ovaries grows actively, and the volume of barrenness is also reduced. Since yeast acts as a biological stimulant, two times for their introduction will be enough.
As soon as the first shoots of the seedlings are noticeable, it is necessary to fertilize the cucumbers. Particular attention should also be paid to this during the formation of a strong ovary.
The recipe for the solution
In order to make yeast dressing at home, there are several ways. For this type of fertilizer, you can use such types of yeast as “dry” and “raw”.
A yeast fungus is considered very viable - it will be able to withstand drought, heat, and also cold. Due to the chemical properties of yeast, greenhouse cucumbers will be able to constantly and correctly develop the root system.
For the first you will need the following ingredients:
- “Fresh” yeast - 1 kg;
- warm water - 5 l.
The required amount of high-quality "fresh" yeast is mixed in a certain proportion with warm drinking water. The nutritional composition that you have obtained is necessary for the fermentation process to be placed in a warm place. The resulting solution can be left in the greenhouse.
Before use, it is necessary to dilute the yeast in heated water in a ratio of 1:10. After this stage, cucumbers should be fed at the rate of 1 liter for each adult bush. If it is necessary to feed young seedlings, then the dosage is best reduced by 4 times.
It will also be useful for you to find out how to feed cucumbers in the greenhouse during fruiting.
For the second cooking recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- “Dry” baking yeast - 10 g;
- warm water - 10 l;
- granulated sugar - 60 g.
To begin, use dry yeast and dissolve them in a warm liquid. Then you must enter the specified amount of sugar. The resulting substance for 2 hours should be placed in a warm place. After the solution is infused, it is diluted in 50 l of liquid. Now you can confidently proceed to watering cucumbers.
Using the same ingredients, you can prepare another mixture for fertilizer. To do this, you need to take a three-liter glass container, pour 2.5 liters of clean clean water into it. Then you should add 100 g of yeast, previously diluted in warm water.
After the end of the process of active fermentation, 1 cup of yeast solution must be diluted in 10 l of pure water. Cucumbers are watered at the rate of 1 liter for each bush.
The action of the third recipe is aimed at accelerating the growth of seedlings of cucumbers. To prepare it, you need to take a three-liter glass container, pour heated clean water into it, then pour 10 g of yeast and add 100 g of sugar. Place the resulting mixture in a warm place.
Keep her there for 1 week, let her brew. After completion of the fermentation process, it is necessary to dilute 1 glass of the mixture in 10 l of pure water and begin to water the plant.
The fourth recipe for cucumbers in the greenhouse. You need to take 500 g of “dry” yeast and 10 l of pure water. Then you need to completely dissolve “fresh” yeast in warm, clean water. Then the resulting mixture should be left for 24 hours for active fermentation in a warm place.
After 2 days, the nutrient mixture will be ready. You can safely start feeding cucumbers.
Did you know? The first person to write about cucumbers in his writings was the German ambassador Herberstein. This happened in 1528 during the time he traveled around Russia.
The resulting nutrient solutions can also be sprayed with cucumber leaves. This will help protect the young plant from various pests and harmful bacteria, as well as preserve the green color of the leaves for a long time.
Find out what to do to extend the fruiting of cucumbers in the greenhouse.
How to fertilize cucumbers with yeast in a greenhouse
Almost immediately after the germination of the first leaf near the seedlings, the cucumber needs biologically active recharge. Before entering a mature period of its growth, there are a large number of ways of feeding. It should be remembered that it is first carried out using organic substances, and then - mineral.
You should familiarize yourself with the main nuances before embarking on yeast top dressing:
- In the manufacturing process of top dressing, yeast is not recommended to be mixed with other stimulants, such as manure of farm animals, bird droppings, as well as all kinds of herbs. Such a mixture can minimize the effect of all the beneficial biological properties of the yeast components. Aggressive bacteria lead to the death of yeast.
- In order for the yeast to begin its action, they must be applied to the soil, heated to the appropriate temperature. Processing cucumbers with yeast top dressing is possible only in the temperature range from + 10 ° C to + 15 ° C. It should be remembered that they also grow poorly in insufficiently heated soil, therefore this condition is mandatory.
- It is advisable to combine a nutrient solution from yeast with wood ash. This procedure is necessary to balance a certain amount of minerals in the soil, especially such as potassium and calcium. In the process of yeast fermentation, these trace elements are absorbed and lose their chemical properties.
- Due to the high temperature conditions in the greenhouse, all chemical processes will occur in an accelerated manner, so in greenhouse conditions it is not necessary to add sugar to the nutrient yeast solution.
- You should not use yeast fertilizer too often, just 2-3 times a season is enough.
- For the introduction of yeast nutrition, two periods are optimal. The first must be carried out after seven days after transplanting seedlings in open ground and after harvesting the first crop. If the concentration of the yeast solution is reduced, then the plant can be fed much more often. For example, if 0.5 l of the solution is diluted in 10 l of water, then this mixture is enough for a sufficient amount of fertilizing.
Recommendations from experienced gardeners
Experienced gardeners strongly recommend feeding cucumbers with yeast solution. Strengthen and complement the action of yeast will help herbal supplements, infusions on the grass, which are prepared on the basis of wood foliage, vegetable tops, nettles, as well as weeds.
If you are interested in the question of whether it is possible to use a yeast solution with tobacco, then the answer to it will be positive. It is used precisely as an energy supplement.
It is recommended to use tincture with flakes of wood ash during fruiting for a better ripening process. Seedlings, which were subjected to stimulation by yeast, develops firmly, and the fruits become elastic, juicy and, accordingly, healthy.
Important! For the preparation of effective yeast fertilizer, do not use expired and old yeast. Their negative effects can destroy the plant.
This fertilizer has an ideal effect on young gherkin seedlings. Active development and growth of the plant. Also, seedlings begin to straighten rapidly. It is recommended to use such top dressing only if the seedlings begin to turn yellow and wither.