How to dry onions at home
Onions and green onions are popular seasonings for various dishes in many cuisines of the world. Even those who do not like this spicy seasoning often want to give the dishes a more pronounced taste and aroma with its help. For such consumers, there is a great alternative to fresh vegetables - dried. How to cook this kind of spice is described below.
Did you know? Among the ancient Romans, onions, in dried and fresh form, was considered a talisman from all sorts of misfortunes.
Description and features of dried onions
You can cook the dried onion yourself or purchase it already prepared, in different fractions. Vegetable prepared on an industrial scale can be of two varieties: the first and the highest. The main difference between them is the color of the final product.
Prepare all types of dried onions in several ways:
- Using a tumble dryer. This is the easiest option for drying a vegetable. The crushed product is loaded into the drum and blown with a stream of hot air.
- Powder spraying. Chopped onions are sprayed in a stream of air. This type of drying is usually used to prepare a powder, such as garlic. Although the product almost turns into dust, which is suitable for many consumers, it loses almost all the essential oils and useful components. The color of the finished product may be white or golden. The latter option is possible if the processing is carried out with too hot air - there will be partial caramelization of sugar.
- Freeze-dried. This option is costly, but the safest one for a vegetable, in the sense that it preserves all the beneficial substances. The technology of the method is as follows: freezing followed by evacuation. Moreover, the process of evacuation takes place in such a way that the water inherent in the vegetable passes from a solid to a gaseous state, bypassing the liquid. During this treatment, the product loses only volatile compounds.
Important! If you soak dried onions, prepared by sublimation, you get a product that has the taste and aroma of a fresh vegetable.
Comparing dried onions with other cooking options (frying, baking), it can be noted that it is the most useful product after a fresh vegetable. Behind it is baked, which loses an insignificant amount of nutrients, as well as the severity of taste. In the last place for the benefits to the body is fried, since it contains only a small fraction of the substances found in fresh vegetables.
The benefits and harms of dried onions
- Since on drying the onion completely retains the substances contained in it, the spectrum of its beneficial effect on the body is no less diverse than that of fresh:
- Strengthens the immune system.
- It has an anthelmintic effect.
- A good therapeutic and prophylactic for colds.
- It fights hypertension.
- It has an expectorant effect.
- Supports the body with diabetes.
- Stimulates the removal of excess fluid from the body.
- It has a laxative effect.
- Able to overcome scurvy.
- Struggles with hepatitis A.
- There is harm from eating onions. It arises if we neglect its contraindications:
- breastfeeding (babies may refuse breast milk);
- pregnancy (is it possible for a particular woman in a position to have this seasoning, or not, the doctor must say);
- diseases of the oral cavity (the vegetable strongly irritates the mucous membrane and strengthens the symptoms of ailments);
- pancreatitis (absolutely impossible, since the use of the product is fraught with death);
- gastrointestinal tract diseases (as it is an acute seasoning);
- gastritis (the product irritates the walls of the stomach and causes a very unpleasant sensation);
- liver problems
- bronchial asthma;
- allergy due to individual intolerance.
Which onions can be dried
There are a huge number of varieties of onions - this is not only the usual turnip or green onions. However, not all of them are suitable for consumption, so you can dry the following:
- Onion-batun. It is often called cottage or sand. Refers to perennials. It does not have bulbs, and the stems are very powerful. Greens grow to frost.
- Onions. Has long tube-shaped leaves of dark green color. Bulbs are large. Their color depends on the variety: it can be yellow, purple, white.
- Schnitt or speed. It stands out with small leaves with a delicate taste. Harvested more than once per season.
- Shallot or shredder, shrubbery. It has small light purple or white, oval or round bulbs, very juicy and soft. The foliage is narrow, long, tender.
- Slime. The owner of tape, islet and succulent foliage. Bulbs do not form. The aroma is similar to garlic.
- Leek. It has bulbs, but leaves and stem, which have a pleasant aroma and taste, go to food.
- Ramson. Wild variety of onions, but edible. It occurs in a forest area. It has a peculiar pungent taste, which is why it is often called wild garlic.
- Branched or jusai, a fragrant vegetable. It stands out with onion-garlic flavor. When dried, it goes well with meat and fish dishes, as well as side dishes and pies.
How to dry onions at home
Before you start drying any kind of onion, it must be crushed. Bulbs are cut into slices or rings 4-5 mm thick. Ready-made for winter storage, the product is laid out in convenient containers (cans, boxes) and placed in a cool, dry place.
Did you know? Among the Egyptians, a bow was considered a gift from the gods; they swore on this vegetable to confirm their honesty.
In the oven
The most popular option for quick drying a vegetable is using an oven. It should be cut into small pieces, rings or slices, depending on the variety, and spread on a baking sheet covered with parchment. The oven must be warmed up to + 50 ... + 60 ° С. After placing the baking sheet in it, it is not advisable to completely close the door. She must remain ajar.
You will be interested to know how to store onions in the winter at home.
In the electric dryer
If there is an electric dryer in your arsenal of kitchen appliances, then it is much more efficient to dry the vegetable in it than in the oven - the process will go faster and without loss of nutrients. Vegetable is cut and laid out on the trays of the dryer. In an electrical appliance, it is better to dry the onion at a temperature of + 55 ... + 65 ° C. After, when the vegetable cools down, it can be put into any container for storage.
Video: drying onions in an electric dryer
In the air grill
Air grill, or convection oven - a device for cooking with hot air; it can also be used for drying products. He, like an electric dryer, preserves the appearance, taste and aroma of everything that is dried in it. Due to the constant circulation of the air heated from the spiral, drying is uniform. This is the fastest way of all described above. For drying, the crushed product is laid out in a bowl, the temperature is set + 70 ° C and the maximum fan speed.
Important! When using any of the methods described above, it is very important to ensure that the onion does not burn.
In the open air
This drying option is ideal for those who want the vegetable to dry naturally, but it is time consuming and time consuming. The sliced product is laid out on a wire mesh in the shade. The weather should be sunny and calm so that the spice does not scatter in different directions. In bad weather, it can be moved to a ventilated room, but here the drying process will be ineffective. Every day, vegetable slices need to be turned over so that it dries evenly.
How long does it take to dry onions
The drying time depends on the method chosen:
- in the oven - 5-6 hours;
- in an electric dryer - about 7 hours (bulbs), 2.5–3 hours (greens);
- in the air grill - 60 minutes;
- in the air - a few days.
Using Dried Onions
In dried form, the spice is used in the preparation of a variety of dishes. It perfectly complements vegetable, mushroom, meat, fish dishes, combined with savory delicacies. Dry vegetable can be a great substitute for fresh.
We recommend that you find out if onions can be frozen.
Usually it is used:
- in salads;
- in soups;
- in the second courses;
- in marinades;
- in pies;
- in minced meat;
- in sandwiches;
- in snacks;
- in conservation;
- in some desserts.