How to deal with ants on viburnum
Ants are one of the most useful insects: they eat caterpillars, dig passages and thereby contribute to loosening the soil, mixing, and also enrich its composition, which improves the yield of plants. However, their love for sweets negatively affects garden crops - these sweet tooths acquire aphids as a pet and carefully protect it. In this regard, you can save viburnum from aphids only by first removing the ants.
How to recognize a pest
A black garden ant lives in the gardens of our continent - an insect of dark brown or black color, covered with small villi, although other species may sometimes appear:
- red fire ant (in regions with a tropical climate);
- red myrmica (in regions with a temperate climate);
- Argentinean ants (in the southern regions);
- yellow crazy ants (tropics and subtropics);
- woodbearing ant;
- turf ant.
Did you know? In 2014, a family of sod ants was sent to outer space at the International Space Station to study the effect of weightlessness on them, where they continue to live to this day.
On the surface, you can often find working ants about 4 mm long with 6 legs, without wings. Females and males are larger, can fly. On their heads they have antennae, the extreme part of the body (abdomen) joins the thoracic part with a thin part. Insects live in colonies in anthills that are built on the ground, under the bark of a tree or under a stone.
Ant wrecking is manifested in the following:
- They protect, protect and promote the cultivation of black viburnum aphids, worms, cicadas, which are pests for viburnum, in order to eat their sweet secretions. Pests damage leaves and young shoots when they suck out juice from them.
- They can eat the fruits and insides of viburnum buds.
- They can cause huge damage to other plants in the garden by eating seeds.
- They are carriers of weed seeds, which deplete the soil around viburnum and prevent young plants from developing.
- They can damage the young roots of viburnum.
- For beekeepers, ants can significantly reduce the amount of honey collected.
- Red fire ants are capable of causing a fatal allergy attack with their bite.
- The red myrmica can bite painfully.
- The yellow crazy ant violates the ecology in the area of its habitat, killing beneficial insects, birds and small animals, and is also able to kill the tree on which it settled. Its acid can cause burns to the eye mucosa in humans and blind them.
- A wood ant lives in the trunk of viburnum and can lead to its death, however, many of its species are in danger of extinction.
- Some relatives of red ants are carriers of ticks and parasites that are dangerous for farm animals.
Important! Do not forget about the enormous benefits of ants - one of their colony can destroy about 2 thousand harmful insects in 1 day, and also enriches the soil with air, potassium and phosphorus, promotes the reproduction of certain plant species, and is used in medicine.
There are deadly for humans species that do not live on the territory of Eurasia.
What to process
It is possible to process anthill with chemical preparations or folk remedies.
The chemical industry produces preparations for the destruction of ants based on:
- Diazinon - “Thunder-2”, “Medvetoks”, “Anteater”, “Ants”, “Muratox”, “Muracin”. This substance of hazard class III blocks the work of the nervous system of insects and causes their death, and also protects viburnum from other pests. The pest disappears in 1–5 days.
- Chlorpyrifos - “Absolute”, “Delicia”. A substance of the IY class, which is not very dangerous for humans, paralyzing the nervous system of insects. It is characterized by a slower rate of death.
Read also how to get rid of caterpillars on viburnum.
Also produced is the sodium salt of boric acid - borax, on the basis of which toxic baits are prepared:
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of sugar in 2 tablespoons of hot water, add 1/3 teaspoon of borax and 1 teaspoon of honey, put near viburnum. Thus, it is possible to get rid not only of working ants running on the surface, but also of soldiers, uterus and young animals. After a week, the product must be replaced with freshly prepared.
- Dissolve 40 g of sugar and 10 g of honey in 45 g of water, add 5 g of borax, spread in the garden.
- To 2 tablespoons of minced meat, mix 0.5 teaspoon of borax, arrange near viburnum.
You can also mix boric acid with jam and yeast. Some people use carbolic acid to coat the barrel, but it is extremely toxic to humans and animals.
Important! The destruction of ants can lead to uncontrolled reproduction of various pests.
You can fight ants with the help of folk remedies:
- The hunting belt . It is necessary to wrap the trunk of viburnum with natural material and grease with a non-drying adhesive (resin, tar, special glue). Insects will stick to the trap and die.
- Obstacle belt . Press the wide foil tape in the upper part to the tree trunk, protrude the lower part. The sharp edge will not allow the ants to climb over the belt.
- Sponge trap . Dissolve a little honey in water, dip a sponge there and put near the viburnum. When insects cling to it, throw it in boiling water or take it far beyond the boundaries of the site.
- Trap with water . Cut off the neck of a plastic bottle or use a jar, fill it half with water and sugar or honey, and place it near the viburnum. Climbed inside the sweet tooth drown.
- Bait from the remnants of food (sweet or meat), laid out near the anthill. When the bait is clinging to insects, pour boiling water or remove from the site.
- Yeast-based poison bait . Dilute one tablespoon of fresh yeast with a small amount of water to the consistency of thick sour cream, add 1 teaspoon of sugar or jam, spread on ant trails.
- Scald the anthill with boiling water .
- Water the nest with kerosene .
- Cut the tops of tomatoes, add water, leave for 24 hours, then pour into the anthill.
- With a shovel, carefully remove the ash and coals from the burning fire and sprinkle over the nest.
- Pour 400 ml of liquid soap, sunflower oil and vinegar into a bucket of water, stir, pour into the anthill.
- Dig a young anthill with a shovel when it gets dark, put it in a bucket and carry it away from the site. If the insects have settled for a long time, the nest will be too deep, you can’t dig it out.
- To build a shelter over the newly formed anthill, covering the sun . This will not affect the deep old anthill.
- Hang pieces of garlic or onion on a viburnum .
- Regularly spray the trunk with a tincture of chili pepper, onion, peppermint, lavender, wormwood, marigold (black brow).
- Sprinkle mustard powder, chili pepper powder, tobacco, cinnamon, salt, soot, lime, bone meal around the viburnum trunk.
- Put potato peel, herring's head or cardboard smeared with soot on the anthill.
Did you know? Rooibos tea is harvested by South African ants, picking up seeds scattered by the plant in different directions.
In order to prevent ants from nesting on the site, you can:
- Plant strongly smelling plants near viburnum (valerian, tansy, parsley, anise, mustard, laurel, mint, cloves, onions, garlic, marigolds).
- Around the trunk of the viburnum, dig a ditch, put there a car tire cut along it, pour water, it is possible with the addition of coniferous extract.
- To remove large stones and stumps from the garden near which you can build an anthill.
- Dig the site in spring and autumn.
So, despite the benefits, ants can become pests in the garden for viburnum, mainly because they contribute to the reproduction of aphids. You can fight them with the help of insecticides or alternative methods, but in the first case you need to remember caution. And the best thing is to prevent them from appearing on the site using prevention methods.