How to care for a scorna at home
In the kingdom of houseplants, an unusual species of succulent bokarney stands out. Almost all of its species are suitable for growing at home, the main thing: to know the subtleties of the process and provide the plant with competent care.
The second name of the flower is nolin, its homeland is the south of South America. The hot climate of the natural habitat determined the shape of the trunk. The wide base serves as a moisture accumulator, closer to the deciduous part of the trunk narrows. For such an unusual configuration, nolin is called the bottle tree. Nolina has a gray-brown cork bark collected in “wrinkles”.
Did you know? In addition to the ability to absorb and retain moisture, nolina is able to absorb exhaust fumes and smoke, for which the Mexicans called it the “smoke eater”.
Bokarneya has up to 30 different species in the natural environment. In greenhouses or indoor conditions, only a few of them are grown. The most interesting and common types:
- B. recurvata (bent) - the most popular species in the culture. It has a long trunk (can grow up to 10 m), the leaves are leathery long, flowing from the crown.
- B. stricta (compressed) - differs by a crown in the shape of a sphere and sharp, rough to the touch leaves, does not grow high, looks outwardly flattened.
- B. longifolia (long-leaved) - grows up to several meters in height, quickly grows young leaves, the old rosette falls down with a skirt, covering the trunk. Over time, the plant branches and turns into a tree.
- B. microcarpa (small-fruited) - a leafy rosette is formed by long (up to 2 m) dense leaves with jagged edges.
- B.nelsonii (Nelson) - differs in a gray-gray color of leaves with denticles along the edge of the plate, which grow in different directions, this nolina is not afraid of frosts down to -12 ° С.
- B.lindheimeriana (Lindemeira) is a dwarf plant. The trunk is practically absent, the leaves are long and thin, like needles.
Bokarneya unbent often serves as a decoration not only at home but also office space. The exotic look and a bunch of bright green greens perfectly dilute the dry business interior.
Given the southern origin, the flower needs sun and heat, that is, the south side of the room. In this case, the plant needs direct sunlight, it is under their influence that the characteristic shape of the trunk is formed. In summer, the barn can be taken out into the fresh air (porch, balcony).
Temperature and humidity
Drafts are contraindicated for the plant; the optimum temperature is + 20–22 ° С. With low humidity, the space around the plant is sprayed from the spray gun. The combination of high humidity (above 70%) and low temperature (below +10 ° C) is unacceptable.
Important! Succulent leaves are an attractive toy for cats. To prevent the pet from nibbling them, remove the pot away.
The plant does not need frequent watering, an abundance of moisture will lead to decay of the root system. Watering is carried out through the pan. When the roots absorb the right amount of moisture, the excess liquid is drained. Water should be at room temperature, preferably standing. The next watering is carried out when the soil in the pot is completely dry.
Bokarneya refers to slowly growing plants, so it does not need frequent feeding. An ideal option would be a liquid mineral complex for succulents and cacti with a halved concentration (from the package stated in the instructions). Fertilize the flower every 3-4 weeks from spring to mid-autumn.
During the rest period, the bottle tree is provided with a cooler content temperature (+ 10-15 ° C), while the lighting does not change. In winter, lighting is extended to 10-12 hours with fitolamps. Watering is carried out once a month through the pan, the water norm is reduced by half compared with the period of "wakefulness". It is advisable to wipe the leaves, because at this time they can be attacked by a spider mite. Wet wipes will prevent the appearance of the pest.
Did you know? The hard leaves of the succulents serve as the basis for baskets, national Mexican hats and other wicker utensils.
To stimulate growth and the formation of a pronounced bottle-shaped trunk, young specimens are transplanted annually in the spring. Adult plants need a pot change every 3 years.
The roots of bokarneya grow in width, so the pot needs a wide, but not deep. In case of floor maintenance, the container must be heavy and stable, for example, made of ceramic. Gravel or vermiculite drainage is placed at the bottom, not forgetting the holes at the bottom of the pot.
- sand - 2 parts;
- peat - 1 part;
- garden land - 1 part.
There are two ways to propagate a scorpion at home: through seeds or lateral shoots.
Important! Separate the shoot very carefully so as not to hurt the mother trunk. Damage to its bark can lead to illness and death of the plant.
Seeds are pre-disinfected in a solution of potassium permanganate, leaving for 2 days. The procedure also reveals dummies that float to the surface. Pre-calcined soil is poured into seedlings boxes, moistened and 1 cm deepened. Seed for germination take a mixture of river sand and garden soil in equal parts. The box is covered with a film or glass and put in a warm place (+ 22–25 ° С). The first shoots should hatch after 3 weeks.
When side layers appear, they are cut off at the base of the main trunk, processing the cut with crushed activated carbon. The layers are left to dry for several hours. Then, for the shoot to take root, the cut is treated with a growth stimulator.
Plant an escape into the soil with a slice down at an angle. For rooting, put in a warm (+22 ° C) place, covered with a plastic bottle. Periodically ventilate the seedling and spray air to normalize humidity. When the first leaves appear, the bottle-cap is removed.
Possible difficulties when growing
When growing succulents, it is important to follow the rules of care, since often floricultural errors lead to pests. Among the insects attacking the flower, one can distinguish:
- scab - sucks the juice from the leaves, while the plates turn yellow and curl;
- spider mite - black dots on leaves and spider webs suggest its presence;
- mealybug - his "calling card" - white viscous lumps on leaf plates.
Possible disease states of the plant are also caused by errors in care. Common Problems: Recommended Reading
- Soft spots on the trunk - caused by waterlogging. It is necessary to transplant the plant, pre-cut problem areas and treat with fungicide. Inspect damaged roots to remove.
- Fading leaves - the flowerpot lacks light. Provide additional lighting with fittings.
- Foliage turns yellow and flies - dry air. The plant needs moisture and ventilation.
- Too slow growth - malnutrition. Do not neglect top dressing, spend them on time.
- Foliage dries at the tips - too much moisture. Water the plant as recommended.
Signs and superstitions
Among lovers of indoor plants there is an opinion that beaucarnea is able to influence the psychological atmosphere in the house. It smooths out conflicts and helps relieve stress. The beneficial effect of the plant on people with respiratory problems is also noted. It is believed that the flower purifies the air in the room from harmful impurities, saturating it with ozone and oxygen. One of the signs says: "The purchase of nolina will bring harmony and harmony between the spouses to the house."