How to care for cyperus at home
Tsiperus, a well-fed one, is just as effective in decorating any room, bringing the charm of tropical ponds, just as easy to grow. The care of this plant at home will be discussed further.
Botanical description of the plant
The evergreen native from the shores of African reservoirs under consideration is a close relative of the famous papyrus, but is inferior in height to a little more than a meter in height, thanks to which it is actively bred at home. In this herbaceous plant, the stems resemble reeds, have a trihedral cross-section and are crowned at the top with a whorl in the form of an umbrella.
Did you know? Cats love to eat cyperus leaves.
The main types
The most famous among these plants:
- Papyrus (Cyperus papyrus), growing on the banks of the Nile. Used in ancient Egypt to produce the eponymous paper precursor. It is able to grow up to 5 meters in height, so papyrus as an indoor plant for home growing is unsuitable.
- Umbrella, or alternate leaf cyperus (Cyperus alternifolius) - the most common with home growing. It grows to a height of just over a meter, crowned with a crown in the form of an umbrella consisting of leaves a quarter meter long.
- Spreading cyperus (Cyperus diffusus), reaching a height of less than 1 m. Has basal broad leaves, as well as narrower leaves gathered in umbrellas at the top.
- Tsiperus Zumula - is a stunted plant, most often found in living quarters and with its dense bush resembling a fountain.
Conditions for successful growing at home
Although cyperus is quite unpretentious, the creation of optimal conditions for its cultivation allows it to show its best qualities.
Location and Lighting
Growing in natural conditions under the hot rays of the African sun, cyperus in the conditions of artificial cultivation continues to love bright lighting, but at the same time it is wary of direct sunlight, which is fraught with burns of leaves for it. In this regard, in the warm season, it is recommended to put pots with these flowers on the windowsills of windows facing west or east, and in winter plants can be placed near the southern windows.
Temperature and humidity
The feed can exist safely in the following temperature range - +12 ... + 26 ° С. Under different conditions, cyperus experiences severe discomfort, which can lead to negative consequences. In summer, the optimum temperature is +18 ... + 22 ° С, in winter it should not fall below + 12 ° С. Growing in a natural habitat near the water, the plant needs a humid atmosphere and home growing.
Also, from the African continent, plants like hemanthus and medinilla came to us.
Optimal for it is air saturated with moisture by 70–75%. To achieve such humidity and maintain it stably, you can use room humidifiers, spray guns, aquariums located next to cyperus or just water plates.
The cultivation of satiety requires some effort and knowledge of some of the features inherent in it.
This plant is extremely hygrophilous; its root system must permanently remain wet. Watering should be frequent, regular and plentiful in the summer and a little more rare, but equally regular in the winter. Watering is carried out at room temperature.
Since cyperus does not have a rest period, this flower needs to be fed year-round. During the active growth phase - in spring and summer - the soil must be enriched with complex fertilizers intended for ornamental-deciduous plants every 3 weeks. In winter, the feeding rate is reduced by a third.
Did you know? Ancient Egyptian papyruses, replacing paper, were made from the closest relative of cyperus - papyrus, another 5000 years ago. But it turns out that papyrus is used for this purpose today - for the production of real paper, moreover, its most expensive varieties.
Fertilizer mixtures should first of all contain:
When using fertilizers, you must follow these rules:
- carefully observe the doses recommended in the annotation;
- half-dose young bushes;
- prevent liquid fertilizers from entering the green mass;
- in the growth phase of green mass, fertilize the bush mainly with nitrogen-containing fertilizing;
- in the flowering phase, the bush is more in need of phosphorus and potassium;
- in order not to burn the root shoots of the plant, fertilizers should be applied only after watering.
As the bush develops, the old stems turn yellow and begin to dry. They should be trimmed in time to enable the plant to renew itself by releasing new stems. Sometimes it is recommended to trim off excess green young shoots to stimulate the active growth of the rest of the plant.
How to transplant
It is advisable to transplant young cyperus bushes annually, and adults - as the substrate is depleted in the tank. The procedure can be carried out year-round, although it is preferable to perform the operation in early spring, in March or in autumn - in November.
You will also be interested to know when to plant indoor plants.
The fourth part of a new high, but not wide capacity is filled with drainage material, on top of which soil with low acidity (pH 5–6.5) is poured, which is a mixture of humus and peat in equal proportions. The soil should be enriched with swamp mud, occupying 1/6 of its total mass.
The net successfully propagates through:
- bush divisions;
Most often, gardeners use seeds and cuttings for this process.
Video: cyperus breeding
Propagated by cuttings is quite simple. To this end, it should:
- pick a whorl with leaves that have sleeping buds in the sinuses;
- separate it from the bush along with a stem up to 8 cm long;
- plant the whorl in sand or loose soil with the stem up, sprinkling it lightly and then actively watering it;
- after a while, the stalk will root and sprout at the place of contact with the ground.
Since in nature, cyperus multiplies by simply dropping a stem with an apical rosette from which roots soon develop into the water, the same can be done at home. For this purpose, the stem is tilted until the whorl at the top contacts the water, securing it. When the rosette takes root, it is separated from the bush and planted in the prepared soil for cyperus.
It is possible to grow syt with the help of seeds year-round, but the optimal result is obtained with a long daylight in the warm season.
Read also about how to plant indoor flowers in a pot.
The process itself proceeds as follows:
- Seeds are planted in low containers filled with a mixture of humus and peat, united in equal proportions and diluted with half of the river sand.
- The seed material is not buried in the soil, but simply pressed against it and well watered.
- Then the seeded containers are covered with glass or tightened with a transparent film to create a greenhouse effect.
- For seed germination to succeed, they should be regularly watered with warm water while maintaining a stable ambient temperature above + 18 ° C.
- The irrigation process is combined with the ventilation and elimination of condensate from glass or film.
- After the appearance and strengthening of the sprouts, they are dived into tall pots with a diameter of up to 10 cm with the same substrate as for the seeds, as well as with good drainage.
Video: growing cyperus from seeds
Undemanding cyperus does not mean that the plant does not experience any problems with its cultivation.
They happen when the rules for caring for him are violated, as the appearance of the bush signals to the owner:
- If the leaves are smaller and their color brightens, then cyperus does not have enough light, which can be corrected by artificial lighting.
- The brown ends of the leaves indicate insufficient humidity, which can be increased with a humidifier or sprayer, as well as by installing a wide tank of water near the plant.
- If the tips of the leaves dry in cyperus or the leaves begin to completely turn yellow, you should think about additional dressing or transplanting the plant into a more spacious container with a new substrate.
- Noticeable wilting of the bush can be triggered by an excessively high temperature in the room, which can be eliminated by ventilation.
- Having become close to the overgrown root system, the pot inhibits the growth and development of the plant. An emergency transplant will help to solve the problem.
- Gray spots covering the foliage signal sunburns received on a window facing the south side. The pot must be rearranged on another windowsill or provide the bush with diffused sunlight.
Weakened by adverse agricultural conditions, the plant can become a victim of an attack of pests:
- spider mite;
This is evidenced by:
- puncture punctures passing along the edges of the leaves;
- yellowing of the sheet and its deformation;
- the presence of a web on the back of the whorls;
- the presence of midges around white dots on the back of the leaves;
- the appearance of cotton-like lumps and sticky plaque on the stems and foliage.
In the presence of these symptoms, it is necessary to urgently treat the bush with insecticides, widely available in specialized stores, or resort to folk remedies in the form of alcohol, soap or oil solutions.
While in their homeland, on the island of Madagascar, cyperus is considered a weed and is destroyed when growing cultivated plants, when grown home, the plant enjoys great respect and even love. It is often used in the design of green corners in apartments, fitting into the neighborhood with other colors, complementing them, and not suppressing. Moreover, useful properties bordering on mysticism are attributed to him.
Find out if you can keep a monstera flower at home and why Zamioculcas is called the “celibacy flower”.
For example, it is believed that fullness is able to absorb the negative aura of a person, and in return to fill it with positive energy and optimism. In addition, many believe that a multilevel flower with umbrellas located at different heights like a waterfall fills the entire human home with positive energy.
So, it is believed that a decoction of its leaves and stems helps get rid of:
- high blood pressure;
- pain in the stomach.
When the impressive tropical appearance of the plant is combined with its unpretentiousness and sufficient simplicity of growing at home, this quickly makes it popular, which is what happened with cyperus around the world.