Green bell pepper: benefits, harms and features of use
Green bell pepper has no less valuable chemical composition than orange or red fruits. There are a small number of varieties of green vegetables, the main difference of which is that when they reach the stage of technical maturity, these fruits are not bitter and are great for consumption. What else are the features of green pepper and when it can be harmful, let's look at the article.
Description of green bell pepper
Green bell pepper is an annual herbaceous culture of the Solanaceae family, whose homeland is America. The fruits of the plant are called pseudo-berries.
They come in different colors - red, orange, yellow and green, as well as various shapes - oblong, oval, spherical. Green varieties of peppers are distinguished by a rich dark green color of the fruit. They are cut off at the stage of technical maturity.
Later, under the right conditions, they achieve biological maturation and change their color to red or yellow, respectively, with the variety. A vegetable variety called Atlantik is popular with gardeners and culinary specialists.
Did you know? In fact, the homeland of Bulgarian ground pepper, as many mistakenly believe, is not Bulgaria, but South America. However, thanks to the many years of work of Bulgarian breeders, hundreds of varieties of sweet vegetable varieties have been obtained, which today are very popular around the world.
Green Pepper Properties
Aesthetically attractive fruits of green pepper not only have a pleasant taste and excellent aroma, but also are the source of a wide range of useful active biological components and minerals that have a beneficial effect on many systems of the human body.
The benefits of green pepper are determined by its rich chemical composition. Of course, the color of the fruit will directly affect its components. Green vegetable has a pronounced general strengthening effect, favorably affects the blood formation process, improves the functioning of the digestive tract, restores and gives strength.
Red also contains a large amount of vitamin A, which allows it to be used to solve problems with the skin, hair, and also the organs of vision. Yellow fruits are rich in minerals that are responsible for visual acuity, improve renal function, heart function, positively affect the state of bone tissue.
At the same time, green vegetable varieties contain less ascorbic acid than red ones, but they also have a beneficial effect on the immune system and strengthen the body.
In its composition, green pepper has a unique substance - capsoicin, which gives the vegetable a characteristic pungent taste. Capsicin perfectly affects the appetite, improves the functioning of the digestive tract, speeds up the metabolism, which allows you to lose extra pounds in a short time.
- Thanks to its unique constituents, the vegetable has a number of useful functions:
- improves digestion;
- lowers high blood pressure;
- strengthens the immune system, increases the protective functions of the body;
- improves memory, increases attention and concentration;
- useful for restoring visual acuity;
- improves the condition of the skin, hair, nails.
Important! A vegetable contains substances that inhibit the formation of cancer cells. It has the greatest effectiveness in the fight against breast cancer.
Harm and contraindications
Despite the huge list of useful qualities, it is contraindicated for some categories of people to consume green pepper.
- Contraindications include:
- coronary heart disease;
- heart rhythm disturbances;
- gastritis and peptic ulcer in the acute stage;
- chronic exacerbations of diseases of the liver and kidneys;
Also, with great care, it is dosed, in small portions you should consume the vegetable with gout, low blood pressure, small children, pregnant and lactating women. Before eating healthy fruits, it is recommended to consult a doctor without fail.
Did you know? Pepper, like chocolate, contains “hormone of joy” - serotonin, which improves mood, relieves depression. But, unlike chocolate, a vegetable has far fewer calories.
Chemical composition and calorie content
The green vegetable has high nutritional and medicinal value due to its rich and diverse chemical composition. It is considered a champion in the content of ascorbic acid, second only to red pepper, rosehip and red currant.
In addition, the composition of the vegetable is supplemented by:
- B vitamins - normalize the functioning of the nervous system, activate brain activity, normalize sleep, relieve depression, increase mood;
- Vitamin A - prevents premature aging of the body, rejuvenates the skin, cleanses the body of toxins and harmful substances;
- Vitamin E - improves the condition of the skin, reduces fatigue, promotes rapid cell regeneration;
- Vitamin K - responsible for blood coagulation, prevents the formation of blood clots;
- potassium - has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the cardiovascular system, normalizes blood pressure;
- iron - enriches blood with oxygen, positively affects blood circulation, increases hemoglobin level;
- iodine - has a positive effect on mental activity, helps to improve memory;
- silicon - improves the external condition of the skin, strengthens hair and nails, rejuvenates the body.
- proteins - 0.86 g;
- fats - 0.17 g;
- carbohydrates - 4.64 g.
In addition to vitamins and minerals, fruits contain dietary fiber, water, ash, phytosterols, antioxidants, essential and non-replaceable acids for the human body, which in combination have a positive effect on digestion, performance.
Green fruits are widely used in various fields: culinary, traditional medicine, cosmetology.
In cooking, they are less commonly used for cooking than other varieties. Nevertheless, the described pepper is used fresh, as a raw material for salads, stuffing, cooking stew and lecho. The vegetable in question can be pickled, grilled, baked, made from it various preparations for the winter.
Important! When cooking pepper, the main thing is not to overexpose it, otherwise it will start to bitter.
In cosmetology, the flesh of pepper and its juice are used in the preparation of products for strengthening hair, rejuvenating and toning the skin, getting rid of inflammation and acne.
Sweet green pepper is a tasty, healthy and affordable vegetable that can become one of the main components of the daily menu. Due to its rich chemical composition, it allows you to adjust the digestive tract, normalize the functioning of the cardiovascular and nervous systems, and renew strength. However, before including it in your menu, you should familiarize yourself with the contraindications.