Grape variety Dixon
Particular attention should be paid to the new hybrid grape variety called Dixon. It bears fruit during the first season, does not require serious care and is highly competitive in the market because of its attractive appearance, juiciness and a very sweet fruity taste.
Hybrid form pedigree
Recently, more and more new grape hybrids are being created by folk breeders. For successful selection, a strong parental basis is selected, which will make the fruits resistant to various external natural pathogens. Did you know? Alexander Burdak himself is from Ukraine (village of Radevichevo). All its hybrids are called the Burdak variety. Thanks to Alexander Vasilievich Bourdak, the Dixon grape appeared in Russia in 2014, by crossing the Atlant variety (conveyed flavoring properties) and Angelica (inheriting a profitable presentation). Dixon's first crop was harvested in 2015.
There are such forms of grape selection:
- Black crystal;
- Ferdinand et al.
Description of Dixon Grapes
Dixon is a hybrid popular among summer residents, which has a special appearance and characteristics, which you can read about below.
Dixon has a number of external indicators by which it can be determined:
- large grape finger-type elongated;
- the color of the grapes is pink, orange and yellow-green to the tip;
- bulk clusters;
- leaves are green, large;
- developed bushes.
Before deciding to plant such a variety, it is necessary to study its characteristics:
- early-middle ripening: late August or early September;
- table vigorous variety;
- fleshy juicy pulp;
- the skin is dense;
- the weight of one berry is from 5 g to 18 g;
- berry size - up to 5 cm;
- the weight of one bunch - up to 1 kg, on average - 400-800 g;
- used for making wine;
- taste - sweet, harmonious;
- propagated by bends, cuttings, seeds, seedlings.
Video: Dixon grapes
Resistance to low temperatures
This type of grape is characterized by high frost resistance: up to –24 ° С. Therefore, the vineyard can not be covered in winter. The main stage of hardening of grape bushes is accompanied by a sharp rapid accumulation of sugars to stabilize the fractional composition of pulp in combination with proteins, vitamins and useful enzymes. As a result of this, inhibition of various physiological processes of the vine occurs.
Dixon is a new hybrid, therefore, such an indicator as disease resistance is to be studied. Since the variety is hybrid, according to various sources it is considered resistant to diseases and pests. The risk of getting sick comes after rainfall. Rainy weather provokes the reproduction of gray rot, bacteriosis, moniliosis.
Did you know? In the USSR, during the anti-alcohol campaign conducted by Gorbachev, a huge number of vineyards were destroyed (in Russia 35 thousand hectares, in Moldova - about 80 thousand hectares, in Ukraine - more than 60 thousand hectares). Sometimes a fungus may appear - it can be noticed in this way: if the leaves are covered with white coating. To avoid unwanted processes, you need to timely process the vine.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- The variety has the following advantages:
- fast growth process;
- strong maternal roots;
- early and plentiful ripening of shoots;
- high frost resistance;
- stable fruiting;
- It does not require special care;
- attractive presentation;
- high juiciness;
- fruity, harmonious, sweet taste;
- high shelf life of fruits;
- good transportability;
- from 1 bush, the yield is about 10-15 kg.
Dixon appeared recently, so the variety has not been studied well enough and it's too early to talk about its shortcomings. Serious cons have not yet been noticed.
How and when to plant Dixon grapes
It is better to plant it before the first frost (usually in April or in October) in a well-lit place. The growth rate and sugar fortification of fruits will depend on this. Wells for planting are dug up in advance, about a month before planting. Humus is placed at the bottom of the fossa. After this, they are tamped and watered abundantly with water. Then they cover with fertilizers, for example, peat, compost, grass.
Important! You need to plant Dixon grapes in warm sunny weather so that mold does not appear at the initial stage.
Proper Grade Care
Hybrid Care Features:
- Further stability and fertility of the grapes will depend on proper care during the first year of vine growth.
- You need to do a regular inspection of the bushes and, if necessary, provide the required unscheduled care for them: neutralize pests, cure diseases, cut and water.
- You need to water three times a season: in spring (before bud growth, about a month later, after flowering);
- Remove weeds, fallen leaves around the bushes.
- We should not forget about weeding and loosening: this is necessary for enriching the roots with oxygen.
- Fertilize the vine at least three times: after the formation of leaves, flowering, when grapes appear at least 4 mm in size.
- Fertilizing is carried out by organic and minerals.
- Pruning - in spring and autumn, and a vine that does not bear fruit can be removed earlier. On average, the load on the bush can be from 20 to 30 buds.
- Opinions on winter shelter vary, but it’s still better to cover the grapes for the winter, although this is not necessary because of the high frost resistance.
Important! It is forbidden to water grapes during flowering and before pruning.
Thus, Dixon grapes have a lot of positive characteristics and will be the luxurious dignity of your garden, as well as a sweet dessert on your table.