Due to its high marketability and excellent transportability, Tabor grapes became one of the most popular among gardeners in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. It is about the characteristics of this variety, the conditions of cultivation and reproduction that will be discussed in the article.
Breeding History and Variety Breeding Region
Grapes Favor belongs to modern hybrid varieties that have good fruiting and resistance to ailments characteristic of these crops. The emergence of a new variety is due to the well-known unprofessional breeder Kraynov V.N., a native of Novocherkassk. As a result of painstaking work and many years of selection, he managed to get a hybrid form, the genetic basis of which became the Russian grapes Talisman and Moldavian Kishmish radiant.
General information about Tabor grapes
Favor is a table grape variety characterized by early ripening. It brings stable annual yields and has excellent resistance to frost.
Also, table grape varieties include:
Description of appearance
Grapes Favor have a high growth rate and in one season the length of the shoots can reach up to 3 m. Fruiting occurs after 125-135 days. The bushes are strong, sprawling, strong, with a maximum load level of 30–35 eyes per plant. The leaves of the culture are large, three-lobed in shape, are distinguished by a dark green color and strong dissection.
Video: Tabor grape variety
Favor favors consistently good yields. The culture is characterized by excellent maturation of shoots, with a fruiting rate of 1.3. Subject to the basic rules of agricultural technology for the season from one bush, you can collect 5-6 kg of berries. Full fruit ripeness occurs approximately in mid-September. Since the bush has a high growth rate, it needs seasonal pruning of branches.
Find out if grapes can cause allergies.
One of the advantages of the culture is its resistance to frost and adverse weather conditions. She can easily tolerate low temperature readings of –23 ° С. The hybrid has good resistance to fungal diseases and is rarely affected by wasps. It shows excellent transportability, during transportation, the fruits do not crack, do not crease, and retain their attractive presentation.
Since the hybrid was introduced relatively recently, there is no complete information on the spectrum of its application. It is great for fresh consumption or for preparing various dishes, desserts, homemade compotes. Information on the use of Tabor grapes in winemaking today is not yet available.
Did you know? Grapes belong to those plants, the cultivation of which began even before our era. So, the first who began to grow a culture in 5-6 thousand BC. e., were the ancient Egyptians.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Tabor variety
- As a representative of table grapes, Tabor has several advantages, among which are:
- excellent taste of the fruit;
- excellent presentation of grapes;
- stable fruiting;
- frost resistance;
- resistance to defeat by wasps;
- excellent transportability.
- As for the shortcomings, here gardeners note:
- possible cracking of berries with excessive moisture;
- little information about the variety, due to its poor knowledge.
Growing conditions and care
Favor is great for growing in regions with moderate climatic conditions, however, it can tolerate cold winters and frosts. For planting grapes, experts recommend choosing a well-lit, slightly elevated area, where there are no drafts and cold, sharp gusts of wind.
To obtain a stable crop, he needs to organize:
- Watering . Grapes love abundant, but not frequent hydration. However, you should focus on weather conditions and soil conditions. A signal to humidification is the drying of the top layer of the earth by several centimeters. Irrigation must be carried out in the spring, after the opening of the plant and a week before its flowering. Throughout the summer, watering is carried out regularly, once every 7 days. Irrigation measures should be discontinued during the flowering period, since the flowers may also crumble during the ripening phase of the fruit, as the berries may crack.
- Top dressing . Fertilizers are recommended by vine growers to combine with irrigation. Superphosphates, nitrate or ammonium sulfate can be added to irrigation water. The first top dressing with the use of organic fertilizers is recommended in the spring, immediately after planting seedlings or opening bushes.
- Loosening, weeding, mulching . To enrich the soil with oxygen and to activate the supply of nutrients to the root system of grapes allows loosening the soil. It should be carried out before watering. Together with loosening, weeding is recommended, and weeds must be removed before flowering. In order to prevent weeds and to preserve moisture in the soil, experts advise to do mulching - to place mulch around the bush, which is perfect for hay, straw, sawdust, peat.
- Pruning . Since the plant belongs to fast-growing, it must be systematically pruned by shortening the shoots. Pruning is carried out for adult cultures older than 3 years. At the beginning of the summer season, the tops of the shoots are cut, leaving 5 eyes after the second bunch. Autumn pruning consists in shortening the shoots to the first leaf.
Important! The pruning procedure allows you to provide the bush with the required amount of sunlight and to achieve an increase in the size of the fruit.
Pest and disease protection
Variety Tabor requires regular treatment from parasites and various ailments. Especially dangerous for grapes is gray rot, mildew, anthracnose and oidium. In order to protect the plant from pests, it is recommended that the foliage be sanitized and a number of agrotechnical measures be carried out: mulching, loosening the soil, removing weeds, and strict adherence to irrigation and feeding schemes.
- Gray rot . Its signs are black or gray spots that appear on the leaves. The danger of the disease lies in the fact that with kidney damage, the culture completely dies.
- Mildew . The appearance of an oily spot on the surface of the leaf plate indicates the defeat of the culture of this disease.
- Oidium . The disease develops due to the negative effects of the powdery mildew pathogen. The disease significantly inhibits the growth of individual berries, which leads to lower yields.
- Anthracnose . It appears in the form of brown spots on foliage, berries and shoots.
Important! Disinfectants must be used no later than a month before the start of the harvest.
As for pests, Tabor can attack:
- spider mite - manifests itself in the form of a white web from the bottom of the leaf plate;
- grape itch or tick - signs of damage are felt growths on the underside of the leaf, as well as convex patches of reddish or green color on top of the leaf plate.
Propagation of Tabor grapes
For the cultivation of grapes of this variety, two main methods are used: vegetative and sexual. Let's look at the features of each.
The vegetative method of Tabor breeding is considered the most optimal, since it allows you to achieve good, stable yields and increase the rate of engraftment of the culture. To obtain a new bush, trimmings from the mother stem are used, on which at least 2-3 buds must be present.
Read more about why grapes turn yellow and what to do.
The process of vegetative propagation of grapes consists of several stages:
- Inspection of the cuttings . Before planting the stalk, it must be checked for suitability. To do this, you need to make a small bias slice on the process. If the cut is wet and green, then the seedling is suitable for planting.
- Preparation of cuttings . After inspection, the seedling is recommended to soak for several hours in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Next, place the shank in clean water so that it can restore water balance.
- Disembarkation . For planting a seedling, an ordinary plastic container or a disposable cup is suitable. At the bottom of the container, in addition to ordinary soil, fine river sand should be poured. Place the cuttings on top of the substrate and cover with the remaining soil.
- Leaving . Throughout the whole rooting process, it is necessary for the plant to organize regular care: watering, fertilizing.
Usually, sexual breeding or reproduction of grapes by seeds is practiced to obtain new varieties of culture or to improve individual qualities, for example, frost resistance, resistance to ailments. The disadvantage of this method is that the grown plants do not repeat the parental forms, but retain rare individual qualities.
Did you know? Grapes are considered one of the most international plants, as they are grown on all continents except Antarctica. In the world there are over 10 thousand varieties, which are divided into four subspecies: canteens, for making wines, for raisins and making sweet juices.
In addition, they enter the fruiting phase much later. This method of propagation is used by breeders and is not suitable for home breeding of Tabor grapes.
This summer was the first fruiting of Tabor. I was really surprised by a large berry. There was no rain in September, maybe therefore there was no cod. Today I cut the first two completely colored clusters. Sugar is still not enough, although the berry is no longer sour. Still, there is a slight overload. Bunches up to 1.5 kg, look very good. The ripening period for our area is late. Schanchan //www.vinograd777.ru/forum/showpost.php?s=c31c913d57e1d8da053f15115ca20d92&p=5086&postcount=4